Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inside electrical questions.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigWhiteVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Inside electrical questions. Reply with quote

Hey guys! Owner of, and currently living in, an 85 Vanagon Westy. I've got a few questions. My Westy doesn't currently have the breaker under the back outlet, do you guys know of any alternatives to this that aren't the GoWesty one? Also, I'm looking to upgrade the outlet in the back too. I've looked at some GFCI outlets and wasn't sure if the 120Vac ones would work. I'm confused because the I've heard I should stick for 110Vac. Will this work? Lastly, any other electrical upgrades you guys recommend?

(I love my upgraded power plig up front where the old Cig lighter was. I also think converting to LEDs for the three light hub in the back is pretty nice.)

Thanks so much friends!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inside electrical questions. Reply with quote

110v is same as 120v, just old nomenclature. Any GFI will work, as long as you follow the instructions. Remember, the VW circuits are rated at 15 amps.

The GFI should fit in the same outlet box that you have, if not, get a larger one. The little push button is a breaker, you have to keep it in the circuit.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Inside electrical questions. Reply with quote

Get this done, or inspected by a licensed pro when done. You can hurt yourself doing electricity in a mobile application, and you can also create dangerous conditions 3-6months afterwards
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Inside electrical questions. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Get this done, or inspected by a licensed pro when done. You can hurt yourself doing electricity in a mobile application, and you can also create dangerous conditions 3-6months afterwards

How exactly?
Using solid wire can lead to work hardening and breakage from vibration but outside of that??
White/Black/Neutral as in a house.
Wires held securely away from, or protected from, sharp metal openings.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Inside electrical questions. Reply with quote

Compared to all the 12V systems, the 110V wiring is stupid simple - actually, just a glorified power strip.
BigWhiteVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Inside electrical questions. Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
110v is same as 120v, just old nomenclature. Any GFI will work, as long as you follow the instructions. Remember, the VW circuits are rated at 15 amps.

The GFI should fit in the same outlet box that you have, if not, get a larger one. The little push button is a breaker, you have to keep it in the circuit.

Sweet, thanks for this help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: