Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The $100 parts pile & what part is this?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

So crusing CL there was an ad for a pile of VW parts. The seller happened to be like 3 miles from my house so I decided to go take a look.

This is what I ended up with:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tons of boxes of parts. 4 generators(including a 67 only?) 3 alternators, starters, oil coolers, intakes, exhausts, type IV parts, tins, small window glass, hardware, 40 horse case, 5 lug rims, and on and on.

Also 4 distributors. A non-bosch 009, a 205M, a 205F, and this in the bottom of one of the buckets:

Laughing

I started looking through the lot and he said, Just throw me a hundred, and take it all. So I did.

Lucky day.

Last edited by Pruneman99 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

Nice score!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

Nice, you basically bought an 010 and got the rest for free
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

And it's actually in really good condition. Better than the picture looks. It spins smooth and all the internals are free and working. It's only missing one cheese head screw. I'll definitely restore it before use though.

Also I found steering boxes, trailing arms, new in package seals, trans parts, input shaft, barrel shims, carbs, heater boxes, headlight parts, seatbelt set, bus airscoops, aircleaners... Just tons of stuff. It will probably take a week to go through it all lol.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

And is anyone familiar with this?

It says VDO Germany. .5 bar +-.15 I'm assuming it's a oil pressure sender, but the thread is pretty big . It won't fit anywhere on a type I case where you would pull a galley plug. Type IV maybe?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

Can't think of anyplace it would fit on a type 4.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

Yeah, oil pressure. Looks like the threaded bit is screwed onto the original, like a step stud.
Oh, and a super score. Good work!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

I tried a 24mm wrench on the possible step stud with no joy. I didn't want to put the sender in a vice to help hold it for fear of damaging the unit. Maybe I can put more force on it if the step stud idea is confirmed. It's brand new, so I don't want to damage it if it's for something else.

Does anyone know if this is a on/off switch like a dummy light or for a pressure gague? Or what gague it goes too?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Looking through the pile, I found this tin piece, and don't know what it's for.

Anyone want to clue me in for this installment of "What part is this"?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

#2 cyl shroud for 356/912. $10-$15.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:

Thanks. It is now up in the classified.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
And is anyone familiar with this?

It says VDO Germany. .5 bar +-.15 I'm assuming it's a oil pressure sender, but the thread is pretty big . It won't fit anywhere on a type I case where you would pull a galley plug. Type IV maybe?

With two terminals I would suspect it is a sender for a gauge. You could check it with an ohm meter, it will be either open or closed fully if it is a switch and if it has some resistance value in between open and closed it will be a gauge sender.

Also look in the end of the fitting and it should be apparent if it has an adapter bushing screwed on with a smaller thread being the original size.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Ok next part for the "what the heck is this?"

Part number is 022 906 045A

Looking around on the ol net, it's a regulator/valve of some sort. Porsche comes up on the searching, so I assume it's a type 4 part. So what's it do, can it be tested somehow, and what's it worth? Porsche has the new version for sale for $1300.00. That's pretty ridiculous lol. Also I would like to clean it up but I don't want to ruin it. It has what looks like huge vacuum connections and an electrical hook up. I usually like to toss greasy yucky parts in the ultrasonic machine, but this may damage it I'd assume.

Any info would be great thanks
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Jacks wrote:

30 bucks, huh? Greed takes over once again. Sorry I helped. I won't on your next one. Rolling Eyes
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Jacks wrote:

30 bucks, huh? Greed takes over once again. Sorry I helped. I won't on your next one. Rolling Eyes

I figured it would be 20 bucks to ship it. That's with shipping included. Last time I sent a distributor to another member, it cost me 16 bucks. That's a smaller item.

If my shipping estimate is off, I'd be happy to adjust the price to 10 bucks + shipping.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off here.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Ok next part for the "what the heck is this?"

Part number is 022 906 045A

Looking around on the ol net, it's a regulator/valve of some sort. Porsche comes up on the searching, so I assume it's a type 4 part. So what's it do, can it be tested somehow, and what's it worth? Porsche has the new version for sale for $1300.00. That's pretty ridiculous lol. Also I would like to clean it up but I don't want to ruin it. It has what looks like huge vacuum connections and an electrical hook up. I usually like to toss greasy yucky parts in the ultrasonic machine, but this may damage it I'd assume.

Any info would be great thanks

Auxiliary Air Regulator.
for fuel injection, bus or 914.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Very Happy looks like a right side T4 heat exchanger in there too. X2 on the aux air- and the oil pressure senders like that I have are one side for idiot light the other for a gauge.( try an american standard on the sender)

Very Happy Laughing Laughing I love mystery boxes.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

Auxiliary Air Regulator.
for fuel injection, bus or 914.

Thanks. Now that I know what term to search, I found a thread on here on how to check it for function. I'll clean it up and check it out. Hopefully it's good and can get passed on to another member needing one.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Very Happy looks like a right side T4 heat exchanger in there too. X2 on the aux air- and the oil pressure senders like that I have are one side for idiot light the other for a gauge.( try an american standard on the sender)

Very Happy Laughing Laughing I love mystery boxes.

Yep definitely a R T4 heat exchanger. This will definitely be sold on. It's heavy, so I wasn't sure how to estimate shipping. Maybe I'll just put it on the local CL.

The sender is still a mystery.. After messing with it for a few minutes it doesn't look like an adapter is on there.. it's to big for a VW. Maybe it was for some Detroit iron and got mixed in the VW stuff by mistake. I'll look at it again when I get a chance.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: The $100 parts pile & what part is this? Reply with quote

Ok for the next rendition of what the heck is this? I found this rubber trim piece. It's about a foot long

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: