Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I have finally saved up 3k for the engine+tranny specifically and I figure its about time I at least start thinking about this part of my build. My goals for this build are ~30MGP, able to maintain cruising at 80-90, and I need it to last at least a bit without a full rebuild as I do 45-60k miles a year in my car.

Now for the hold ups. It is looking like I am going to have to reduce my wheel size a bit to get good tires in the size I want (currently looking like I wont be able to really go above 24.5" total diameter to get decent tires), I honestly have no idea just how much power I want as I dont have a lot of reference for what, say, 100HP even feels like in a bug. I would like to be able to pull all the way through third as stock I have almost 0 power at the beginning of third. I will hopefully be picking gears specifically for the engine, but hopefully that gives you an idea of power? As for cost, I dont realy have a concrete goal in mind, but I priced out an EJ207 swap with subbie trans at 15k USD, so above that and I will be seriously tempted to go that direction.

EDIT: Another caveat just to be a complete pain in the ass. I would love to have AC if basically at all possible (and it has to work sitting in traffic as my drive home is always slow, but to work is lots of fast cruising). If it isnt possible, that is fine, just figured it was worth an ask since I am asking for the sky anyways.

For the engine I am honestly at an utter loss as to what direction to go, but I am not opposed to a type 4 conversion. I figure once I at least figure out the parameters and form factor I want I can study more from there, but I dont even know that part at this point.

For the transmission I do have a better idea as to my options though. I think the 3 things I am considering the most currently are a 4-speed with custom gearing, a berg 5-speed (or similar) and an early 901/914 conversion (all with a LSD if possible). I am worried about having too tall of gears in a 4-speed (24.5" tires, 3.87 R&P, and 0.82 4th still mean 4k RPM for 90MPH), I have no idea where to even find a custom gearing Berg 5 (or similar) that someone will build for me (I can do engine, but I dont want to do tyranny work on this one), and I am very skeptical about the engagement mechanism on the 901/914 transmission as I do kinda love to slam 2-4 when I get in that mood (and idk where to even test drive a trans like that to find out if I like it)

I am sorry about the massive wall of text guys. Thank you for taking the time to get this far.
-esk
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

You need to start looking at prices. Have you seen what a rebuilt 1600 costs? If you can do most of the work yourself you can save some money. I’ve got a 2.1 oxyboxer i built for about 1000 but that took years of getting inexpensive parts and doing the machining myself. I’m guessing it would be 3000$ plus to buy. And that doesn’t even involve a transmission. At this point I wouldn’t even dig into one myself. So that’s another 1000 at least for a decent 4 speed I would think. A berg 5 can cost 5000. Or a reversed Subaru with adapter which would be at least 3000 I think. I’ve seen Porsche 901 transmissions for as little as 400. But they won’t take that much power or have an lsd. And they are used in unknown condition for the last 30? Years
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

15k for a subie setup? My gosh. You can get a EJ20 50k mile Japan engine delivered for $750, then get a donor car with 5 speed for $500-$1000. Get a subaru gears kit and all your odds and ends and be in it for 5k max. http://www.subarugears.com/Pricing/Pricing.html

I recently bought a outback for 1,000 that just needed axles. Sold it for 3k a few weeks later after fixing everything. Right now I have a friend selling a outback for $400 that drives with solid 5 speed. These cars are littered all over craigslist for cheap.

It seems like you talked yourself out of a type 1 yourself. 40-60k per year in a type 1 at 80-90mph is just dumb. Thats 200 miles per day in a 5 day work week. I do 80mph with 90 hp in a 40 mile per day yaar round commute and its nuts already. I been running 165s lately(25") with 3.88 and .82 fourth and love it even more then my 24" tall tires cause 80 mph is right at 3500 rpms now. But, driving any faster will have temps go up. its a Volkswagen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
So I have finally saved up 3k for the engine+tranny specifically and I figure its about time I at least start thinking about this part of my build. My goals for this build are ~30MGP, able to maintain cruising at 80-90, and I need it to last at least a bit without a full rebuild as I do 45-60k miles a year in my car.

No disrespect to you or anybody reading this but no way I'd even consider a 50 year old VW. It's just not a smart choice you your needs.

You're looking at $4K for a dependable 100-110 HP engine. A complete Berg 5 speed with mounts and shifter is $5,000. Add another $2500 for suspension and brake upgrades to handle and stop at those speeds.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Ebel wrote:
You need to start looking at prices. Have you seen what a rebuilt 1600 costs? If you can do most of the work yourself you can save some money. I’ve got a 2.1 oxyboxer i built for about 1000 but that took years of getting inexpensive parts and doing the machining myself. I’m guessing it would be 3000$ plus to buy. And that doesn’t even involve a transmission. At this point I wouldn’t even dig into one myself. So that’s another 1000 at least for a decent 4 speed I would think. A berg 5 can cost 5000. Or a reversed Subaru with adapter which would be at least 3000 I think. I’ve seen Porsche 901 transmissions for as little as 400. But they won’t take that much power or have an lsd. And they are used in unknown condition for the last 30? Years

My current ballpark is 5-7k for an engine and ~3k for a tested 901/914+conversion or ~5k for a completed berg 5. Im still likely a year our on the purchases, but I can safely save ~ 7.5k a year for my car. As for the subbie transmission, it looks like they are ~6k for a completed one. As for the 901/914, the LDS is kinda a nice to have but not a necessity and I understood they take ~150HP without much issue (which I think is higher than I need for what I want, but Im not realy sure, hence the thread).

jpaull wrote:
15k for a subie setup? My gosh. You can get a EJ20 50k mile Japan engine delivered for $750, then get a donor car with 5 speed for $500-$1000. Get a subaru gears kit and all your odds and ends and be in it for 5k max. http://www.subarugears.com/Pricing/Pricing.html

I recently bought a outback for 1,000 that just needed axles. Sold it for 3k a few weeks later after fixing everything. Right now I have a friend selling a outback for $400 that drives with solid 5 speed. These cars are littered all over craigslist for cheap.

I have never built an engine before but I'm completey planning on learning for this one. The cost of the swap comes because I am not comfortable at all doing the electronics and cooling piping myself as I am realy comming up without much in terms of guides or instructionals on it. The break down is ~5-6k for the completed transmission and ~8-10k for the full swap, tune, and some chassis stiffening. Any recommendations where I can read up more on doing the swap myself? I dont realy have a good place to store/dispose of a donor car tbh, but I am at least open to it if I have something more to go off of than the thread stickied here and the shop talk thread.

jpaull wrote:
It seems like you talked yourself out of a type 1 yourself. 40-60k per year in a type 1 at 80-90mph is just dumb. Thats 200 miles per day in a 5 day work week. I do 80mph with 90 hp in a 40 mile per day yaar round commute and its nuts already. I been running 165s lately(25") with 3.88 and .82 fourth and love it even more then my 24" tall tires cause 80 mph is right at 3500 rpms now. But, driving any faster will have temps go up. its a Volkswagen.

It certainly seemed like a T1 wouldnt be capable of what I wanted, but I honestly didnt know for sure. I do about 100 miles a day (6 days a week) for work and then do expended road trips once a month or so.

vwracerdave wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

No disrespect to you or anybody reading this but no way I'd even consider a 50 year old VW. It's just not a smart choice you your needs.

You're looking at $4K for a dependable 100-110 HP engine. A complete Berg 5 speed with mounts and shifter is $5,000. Add another $2500 for suspension and brake upgrades to handle and stop at those speeds.

None taken man. No worries. All said and done, Im expecting to come out close to 20k into this build. My plan has always been suspension > Wheels/brakes > drive train anyways and the suspension is almost done while im just waiting on parts for the brakes (going full 944NA brakes with parts from lanner at vdub engr | balance between actual performance and a bit of epeen/style). As for suspension, I have already fully upgraded my shocks and sway bar and have some different torsion bars and leaf springs (leafs are on the way) to play with spring rate vs damping characteristics. My goal for this build inst to wisely spend money tbh, but to get this car (my first car and likely only car I never plan to sell) up to snuff to be able to DD it including a pan off resto (need new heater channels and minor budy repair, but thats it luckily) and redone interior with good seats. Honestly, my fairly unreasonable goals are a pretty big reason I considered/am considering a subbie swap. Im just not sure how I feel about changing up the driving feel that extremely on the drive train (realy need to test drive a subbie of that era tbh). The point of this thread is basicaly to figure out what specs I need to actually achieve my goals and then go from there.

EDIT: FWIW, if I do need to go over 15k to realistically achieve my goal, I have been planning a small toyota truck purchase for a while that I will likely just do before the full engine and tranny upgrade to get by in the mean time (planning to get one and a wildernest for camping and kyaking anyways)

Last edited by Eskamobob1 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

Dave is 100% correct, a modern car will be a much better choice for your needs. Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Hey guys,

My goals for this build are ~30MGP, able to maintain cruising at 80-90, and I need it to last at least a bit without a full rebuild as I do 45-60k miles a year in my car.

What kind of car gets 30 mpg at 90 mph with the ac on?

sorry you only get to choose one.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

80-90mph daily.....I see lots of this in your future.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Hey guys,

My goals for this build are ~30MGP, able to maintain cruising at 80-90, and I need it to last at least a bit without a full rebuild as I do 45-60k miles a year in my car.

Our Honda CR-Z gets 42 mpg at 68 mph, 39 mpg at 75 mph. We don't have any speed limits above 75 around here, but cant imagine it would drop below 30 mpg at 80 mph.

I encountered 80 mph speed limits out west, but where is there a 90 mph speed limit?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Get a VW TDI before they are all gone. 55 mpg all day long with AC on at the speed limit and last for 500K or more with minimum routine maintenance. Save the air cooled VW for a weekend runner/hobby car.

If you need the power fix the Subie gives then buy one and drive it and again save the VW for the weekends.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

1970 Karmann Ghia.
1914cc, Weber Progressive, Erson VW200 cam. Stock trans w/ 3.88 R&P. 32mpg from Tampa Fl to Atlanta Ga at 80mph. No A/C though.

You can get a 2.3 type 4 conversion turnkey with A/C that’s been Dyno tested from Raby for about $30,000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Subaru

What’s That Noise?!?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

I would do a 84~86 mm stroke,CB lostpanof cheetos cnc heads with tit retainers. around [email protected] cam with low lobe lift then add ratio rockers to get around .520~.565 lift. 9.4~10.4 cr, .035 piston to head clearance, dished pistons if nessary but keep a tight quench ,match ported cb big beef intakes ,properly set up hpmx carbs.good 1 5/8 merged header.2" exhaust&free flowing quiet muffler, dfl coat the innards of the engine( all soft parts that have a hard part wearing on them,cam &crankgears,rockers,lash caps, ceramic coat the pistin top's&chamber's,valve heads and ex ports. 30 mm pump(dfl it and cover too),5-20 or 0-20 syn oil. ) do it all right the first time and forget about it and have fun.and then comes the trans...send it to mcmscoot and have him build what you need.....now that your budget is blown all to hell it's a good time to go on a diet. Shocked
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Hey guys,

My 97 Saturn SL2 got 33mpg at 80 with the a/c on, thats close Smile
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
If you need the power fix the Subie gives then buy one and drive it and again save the VW for the weekends.

+1. A lot cheaper and easier to just leave the Subie engine in the Subie and drive that. Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

If I saved my vw for weekends I would sure be wearing out a lot of shews....and probably shed a few pounds too. but I dont think I would save much.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Hey guys,

Sorry. The AC was an afterthought so I didnt word it well. Ill only need is about 1 1/2 months a year and it will be used in basicaly stop and go traffic, so I have 0 expectations on decent milage there at all. The ~30mpg was my hope for cruising speed (if possible) not city or traffic.

udidwht wrote:
80-90mph daily.....I see lots of this in your future.

Honestly man, 80-90 is just the flow of traffic at 5am on the 15. Hell, even the 5 flows that well late at night.

Q-Dog wrote:
modok wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Hey guys,

Our Honda CR-Z gets 42 mpg at 68 mph, 39 mpg at 75 mph. We don't have any speed limits above 75 around here, but cant imagine it would drop below 30 mpg at 80 mph.

I encountered 80 mph speed limits out west, but where is there a 90 mph speed limit?

Minus the AC, a 914 fits the bill as well. Thats why I didnt realy think those reqs would be an issue tbh. As for 90 mph speedlimits, IDK of any, but there are several places where you are regularly getting passed at those speeds early in the morning.

oprn wrote:
Get a VW TDI before they are all gone. 55 mpg all day long with AC on at the speed limit and last for 500K or more with minimum routine maintenance. Save the air cooled VW for a weekend runner/hobby car.

I mean, a large point of this build is to justify keeping my bug by making it truly DDable. If I was just going for best DD with no work I would just get a TDI rabbit truck or an old tacoma tbh. Plus, I dont mind putting up with the quirks of old cars as DDs in general and the 914 seems to be capable of everything I asked (aside from air conditioning, which is ultimately fine) so I didnt think it would be an issue to achieve in a bug if idc about cost.

jeffrey8164 wrote:
1970 Karmann Ghia.
1914cc, Weber Progressive, Erson VW200 cam. Stock trans w/ 3.88 R&P. 32mpg from Tampa Fl to Atlanta Ga at 80mph. No A/C though.

You can get a 2.3 type 4 conversion turnkey with A/C that’s been Dyno tested from Raby for about $30,000.

Honestly, I was kind of under the impression that over 2.0 in a T4 was far more than I was actualy looking for, but then again, I dont know for sure (hence the thread). I Will look into your build some more as well. I have heard a few times that progressives get the best MPG if you can actualy get them functioning propperly

Clatter wrote:
Subaru

Yah. The sub is one of those that I know for a fact will do what I want (slightly worse mileage, but not a massive deal), I just want to see if its possible while staying a bit truer to home.

mark tucker wrote:
I would do a 84~86 mm stroke,CB lostpanof cheetos cnc heads with tit retainers. around [email protected] cam with low lobe lift then add ratio rockers to get around .520~.565 lift. 9.4~10.4 cr, .035 piston to head clearance, dished pistons if nessary but keep a tight quench ,match ported cb big beef intakes ,properly set up hpmx carbs.good 1 5/8 merged header.2" exhaust&free flowing quiet muffler, dfl coat the innards of the engine( all soft parts that have a hard part wearing on them,cam &crankgears,rockers,lash caps, ceramic coat the pistin top's&chamber's,valve heads and ex ports. 30 mm pump(dfl it and cover too),5-20 or 0-20 syn oil. ) do it all right the first time and forget about it and have fun.and then comes the trans...send it to mcmscoot and have him build what you need.....now that your budget is blown all to hell it's a good time to go on a diet. Shocked

Lots of stuff I have no Idea what it means in here Embarassed. Wasnt expecting an actual build recommendation, so looks like I have a lot to read up on what it actually is for this one.

Towel Rail wrote:
oprn wrote:

+1. A lot cheaper and easier to just leave the Subie engine in the Subie and drive that. Smile

I mean, efficiency/effective spending has never been a consideration of this build tbf
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

If your seriously going to do this, I'd look into 3.44 ring and pinion. They are available now. Have someone experienced help you pick out the right 4th gear to go with that, to achieve your goals. Of course, it will take a pretty torquey engine to pull that gear. Honestly, go Toyota Camry with a four banger for DD.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Bugsy61 wrote:
If your seriously going to do this, I'd look into 3.44 ring and pinion. They are available now. Have someone experienced help you pick out the right 4th gear to go with that, to achieve your goals. Of course, it will take a pretty torquey engine to pull that gear. Honestly, go Toyota Camry with a four banger for DD.

Funnily enough, picking the right gearing is probably what I am least worried about tbh. I did a couple projects on custom trans for tractors and even an FSAE car, so I at least have some background in that one. I did think about seeing if I could get a custom R&P cut, but they seemed not worth the cost (was looking like 1.2-1.6k for a one off) and I had no idea that you could even find 3.44s without getting them custom. I think my biggest worry with changing the R&P tbh is the torque required for a smooth 1st since I dont realy have any frame of reference for that one specifically. I was kinda curious if I could get a berg 5 with the ratios out of a 914 (or even just fine a 914 to test drive to see how the actual trans feels)
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and transmission for higher speed, high millage DD? Reply with quote

Street Rail with Built Berg Trans and 2110 with all Housing, Single 44 IDF on top of Redline Heated Intake.. My take, had one, but not sure of MPG, lol.... RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: