Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel tank leak
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Well, crap. Finally got everything together and went for a couple drives today.
(66 Dune Runner Mini Mercedes) Filled the tank, got back and fuel leaking in front. Went under the car and it looks like the steering box and a nub that sticks up from the link pin beam are in contact with the tank.

The nub, don't know what else to call it, has put a small dent in the front drivers side corner of the tank and it appears that is where the fuel is leaking from. I think that maybe the front end of the body has sagged a bit, causing the contact.

I've ordered a new tank, but this tank has a center filler spout and I'm not a welder, so, thinking about trying the JB Weld fix. Anyone here ever do that? I've used JB Weld in a couple other situations and the stuff was pretty amazing.

Thoughts/comments?
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Good move on ordering a new tank. They're fairly cheap. I would even bother mucking about with JB weld. Changing the tank is a PITA. You don't want to do it again.

I've had similar problems with mine. My tank was leaking where the original filler hole was patched, and also from where the new filler pipe was attached.

When I got the buggy it had EMPI coilovers fitted. These jacked the front end up and offered no shock absorbtion whatsoever. I replaced them with standard shocks, but then noticed the steering linkages were rubbing against the bottom of the tank. I got a local fabrication company to relocate the filler neck, put a tunnel in the bottom of the tank, and also remove the bulge at the front to give me a bit more clearance with the underside of the bonnet, allowing me to raise the tank with some thick strips of rubber between tank and body. I was billed for 2.5 hrs work by the fabrication company for this.
Hope this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Of course I then ran into a problem, either due to mismeasurement/ slight difference in tanks or by having raised the tank slightly from its original position. I cut a slightly larger hole and created a a gasket from a rubber gearstick boot.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

My fuel tank bounced a lot and hit the top of the steering components on my buggy until I made and installed these front brackets.

I soldered a couple of leaks in my fuel tank. The JB Weld patch only lasted about 2 years for me.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Forget JB Weld, It will only fail (soon).... Solve problem correctly.....

If body is saging put in some braces as suggested above... Possible relieve tank by pounding in dimple to clear "nub" (probably steering box adjuster).... If you are going with new clean tank mark, layout and get everything prepped and take tank to a shop and have it welded... Yes its a few more dollars in cost but its best long term solution...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

I've actually had good luck with JB Weld, but it is not for areas that will rub or flex, or holes larger than a toothpick. My first buggy had a JB Weld patch on the bottom of the tank from about 1992 to 1999. When I removed the old tank it still wasn't leaking.

I think your first order of business is to correct the contact issue(s). The gas tank is made of thin metal and will fail if it hits anything. Then, decide how best to fix the tank, or replace the tank. Different buggy bodies vary quite a bit in the shaping for the gas tank, plus age has taken its toll on the fiberglass. Most buggies do not mount the tank at the same angle as the Beetle so there is often some capacity to gain by relocating the outlet. Any sort of structure change to the tank should, or course, be done by a good welder.
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

You don't necessarily need to seek out a "fabrication/metal shop", a muffler shop, or a radiator shop can also do that kind of thin metal welding or brazing. Fab shops usually charge by the hour, muffler and radiator shops usually charge by the job. I, like a lot of guys here relocated and welded up my tank myself, less than an hour to move and weld the filler, and cut out and weld in a patch in the old filler location. Just a suggestion. JB weld has its place, and done correctly works great, I just don't think this is one of those places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Well, I ordered the new tank. $122 all in but not sure when it will get here. Last night I pulled the hood and lifted the tank to have a look. Cleaned an wire brushed the area and found three toothpick sized pinholes. Put on the JB Weld just for the fun of doing it, was in there anyway, so will put it back together this morning and see how it does. Pulling the hood an extra time for the new tank won't be fun but it's not bad.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Many years ago I was working on a Bug tank that has similar pinholes in the lowest part. I was trying to get away without fitting a replacement tank as the rest of it was in good shape. A good friend recommended "soldering" a penny over the holes. Thought he was joking (he was an expert welder) but said he'd done that many times in his younger years. At the time I though you could only solder copper. Boy, did I have a lot to learn. The trick though, because of the residual fumes in the metal (despite the tank not having gas in it for a couple of years) was to not use any flame sources to heat the metal. No torches! Of course, the metal has to be perfectly cleaned (I probably used a wire wheel on a drill motor - followed with sanding paper). Tinned with acid flux and my buddy had the biggest soldering iron I'd ever seen - tip as big as your finger. Worked great, tinned the penny, then tank, then stuck them together. Worked great, and once painted you could barely tell any repair had been made! Only cost me a penny! Laughing
Jeff
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

I have used it (jb weld) on the top of my gas tanks,aluminum parts,etc and it worked fantastic!!.BUT on the top of the tank if u are 100 miles from home u will be ok.just put less gas in.BUT if it leaks on the bottom of tank 100 miles from home u could have a real problem.it would make me nervous on the bottom of my tank everytime I filled up.i have some jb weld on my top patch welds now, but its bothering the shit out of me.i will put a new tank in this winter.the stuff is amazing tho!!..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:

You have to be careful with bolt placement like the picture above. I did this to my tank and have a leak on all 4 corners. Watch where you drill the holes.
DO NOT DRILL BETWEEN THE WELD AND THE TANK.
if at all possible drill on the edge side of the weld. Or use clamps like they did originally
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

cdnltded ,I did Not drill any holes at all.The tank came from the factory like this with Pre drilled holes.i have been on some pretty rough trails in the woods.No leaks Yet.This tank was made this way.This was temporary for the summer to get some use out of my buggy.it is only a 5 gallon tank and is also supported underneath the tank.this was a picture of the "mock up",when I was positioning tank to fit hood fill spout.it also has rubber supports under all 4 corners.In any case 5 gallons is to small and I have since bought a fuel cell to install this winter......Sean
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Well, I jb welded it, then put a foam bead underneath the flange to raise it up a little. It looked like front end fiberglass sag had brought the tank in contact with the nub on the beam and the steering box. The foam bead has created a half inch of space. I think I will add a couple of braces as well. new tank arrives wed so I'll have that on hand if this starts leaking. Thanks for all the advice people.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

I had gas tank issues when I put my first buggy together.
The rag joint was rubbing on the tank. Easy fix. Added a small lift with 1 1/2" square tubing. Stiffened the pan and gave me the clearance I needed.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Many years ago I was fastening new carpet in my Super Beetle and decided to take it right up the front nearly to the bottom of the dash. Yup I drilled right into the bottom of the tank! Gas running right into the car!

I pulled the tank, turned it upside down, scrubbed it shiny with coarse sand paper and patched it with several layers of little squares of rag soaked in Seal All. It came in a tube, was an air dryed product just for gas tanks and seemed to work even on tanks still in place and dripping gas.

It was still holding 8 years later when I sold the car.

You fellows make me cringe when I see you welding on gas tanks. I have a friend that is permanantly crippled from a gas tank going off. Multiple broken and shattered bones from his ride up to the shop roof and back! Large shop with a high ceiling and no more windows when it was all over! The doctors told him he would never walk again but he is! 30% use of his right arm and hand and a very pronounced limp.
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Nice to see another Dune Runner, Mini Mercedes. Tell us about it. How long have you had it? What's its story? I have one as well. Long body. Looks like yours was shortened. You enjoying it?
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Posted this somewhere else but don't remember where. When I was ten my dad bought a Dune Runner mini mercedes, short pan. We all had a blast in that thing till sometime in my late 20's he just up and got rid of it. By that point it had been sitting in the back lot for a couple years so he figured no one cared. Wrong, and we let him know it. So now, 30+ yrs later I happened across the first one I've seen besides ours on CL down in AZ, where my house is. Well, I ended up buying it and bringing it up to Seattle to put back on the road. 2 1/2 months , too many hours and way more $ than planned it is slowly becoming a [retty decent driver. Here is the only pic I can find of our Dune Runner back in the day, in the background of a facebook pic from a former neighbor.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/1833020.jpg

So, the basic plan was to recreate the original buggy with this one, but I find that plan morphing daily
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

well, that pic came out poorly.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank leak Reply with quote

Leave "thumbnails/" out of the URL and it comes out much better.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: