Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am seriously considering getting a 2003 Eurovan hard top, and a 1993 donor with a pop top, and melding the 2 into 1 vehicle.

I have read (most of) the excellent conversion thread.

One thing that interests/concerns me: it looks like there are a number of lateral supports in the metal roofed version that are, of course, cut away when the van is converted -- whether it's being done by Westfalia or by one of us. What I'm wondering is... did Westfalia add any longitudinal or lateral reinforcement around the opening to maintain the rigidity of the shell? Or did they just whack out the panel and throw on the clam-shell, with a little (thin) sheet metal to dress up the wound? I'd be sorely tempted to beef that up to something that would lend rigidity (angle iron? Chromoly tube?), maybe with corner bracing...

But, I tend to overdesign stuff... and I also know adding a bunch of extra weight to the top of a vehicle is not optimal. I'd want to recreate what Westy did for peace of mind if nothing else.

What's the crack, jack?

thanks

T
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

I am still searching for this answer.

Nobody will tell me, including places that do these conversions.

Very curious.
njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

There is no structural support added. The wooden bed bolts in and has a metal support that's bolted in across the middle where the boards are split. All the weekenders come this way from westfalia and there no known issues as far as I know. When westfalia and winnebago converted these vans, (to my knowledge) they recieved hard tops and just cut the roof out just like any pop top converter will do for you. I believe reimo does the same thing; just cut a big hole and put the top on....
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

Buy a rusted/smashed complete donor. Disassemble and reverse for install. The T4 roof install is far more straight forward than the T3s.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

Just make sure you grab all the interior trim pieces along the pillars and roofline, since they're all part of the package.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

There is definitely steel reinforcement on the Westfalia MV Weekender pop-up roofs; you can see it being removed and reinstalled on the top transfers that @Xtremejeepn has posted about here. There is a steel reinforcement in the front area, and there's the bar between the bed halves mentioned above, as well as the fact that there's a reason the entire back end of the bed is so painfully glued into place rather than being removable.

Perhaps the best place to get some good guidance would be this document: the original VW Body Builder Guidelines for the Transporter T4. Specifically, start in on page 40.

Hopefully helpful.

If you end up going this route, do please share your project and pictures with us! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

This document is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you!

Now I will know the size of the elephant. I just have to decide if I am willing to throw that many bananas into its gaping maw.
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovans converted to pop top: what reinforcement was done? Reply with quote

OK, I have all my facts-n-figures ready... likely costs, pros, cons, etc.

Summit meeting this weekend.

Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: