Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diseased.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

Good job!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

got into the 1600 DP

took the head off first just to find this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so naturally had to look at the head

on the plus side I would have put new pots and pistons on anyway.

but need to find another head. but thinking a fellow member has hooked me up already.

and also found a set of 1641 pots and pistons as well as a 100 cam.
i know not much improvement but baby steps for me. $$$$$ is the driving factor here
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

the case i think is gonna be ok as well. might have to get a line bore but the thrust is still at original thickness.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

So because i was able to aquire this new pan with the motors i now need to shorten this pan. i have searched and results were great, but what one do you follow. i am gonna be making my own custom pans as i like th eidea of the body lift.

SO
what shortening thread should i use???
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

Keep us posted as to who does the line bore for you. Cost and quality would be helpful too. I have an engine in our sand rail that needs a line bore too so I am in the market.

A&H Mueller in Calgary was my previous guy but that was years ago and they no longer exist I hear. On second thought I may have a spare done at the same time if not too expensive. Maybe that someone would be interested in setting up to do 3?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

There is a bit of a nick on one cylinder but not anywhere close to the nicks in yours! Not sure if there is anything significant as far as these numbers go.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

Three of the exhaust studs are missing but the threads are fine.

I do have several sets of used 85.5 cylinders and pistons. I would have to pull them out and see if they were any good.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
There is a bit of a nick on one cylinder but not anywhere close to the nicks in yours! Not sure if there is anything significant as far as these numbers go.

that look so much better then mine I will get you my address later.
as for the numbers,i don't know either. the current ones don't match either
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Three of the exhaust studs are missing but the threads are fine.

I do have several sets of used 85.5 cylinders and pistons. I would have to pull them out and see if they were any good.

that's fine, the studs were still in the botched head, and as for the cylinders, there is another guy from the FB page that has a set of 87mmand a 100 cam that I am gonna work a deal on.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Keep us posted as to who does the line bore for you. Cost and quality would be helpful too. I have an engine in our sand rail that needs a line bore too so I am in the market.

A&H Mueller in Calgary was my previous guy but that was years ago and they no longer exist I hear. On second thought I may have a spare done at the same time if not too expensive. Maybe that someone would be interested in setting up to do 3?

there is a guy in fernie I think, have talked with him once about it, but I was thinking that company in saskatchewan
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

Air Cooled Classics in Saskatoon. I have his phone number if you need it.

I heard rumors that Concept1 was gearing up to do them.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

That would be sweet
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

can anyone suggest a good shortening thread, I need to shorten a pan and will be making my own floors.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

So i have decided to start a engine thread i the engine section. if anyone has any 2 cents they want to add please do.
also nobody has any suggestions on shortening the pan
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

Measure 10 times, cut once. Make a lot of reference points to line things up on. Measure front to back and cross corner front to back before you cut to see if stuff is square to start with. Unless you are after that vintage look building and welding your own floors is easier than trying to weld today's pop can floors. Watch out for all the tubes inside.

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Measure 10 times, cut once. Make a lot of reference points to line things up on. Measure front to back and cross corner front to back before you cut to see if stuff is square to start with. Unless you are after that vintage look building and welding your own floors is easier than trying to weld today's pop can floors. Watch out for all the tubes inside.

brad

oh yeah it will have cutom floors very similar to my other one. but this time i am going for a 2" body lift not a 1"
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

ok question for the more experienced ones
I have a shortened chassis with rotten tubes.
I have a full length chassis with good tubes.
would it be easier to shorten the full length chassis or replace the tubes in the shortened chassis?
keep in mind that both chassis will get custom floor pans.

also want to run a 68 or newer beam on what ever chassis I use.
easier to cut and weld a 68 frame head on or cut the tube 2" and run adapters?

reason I want a balljoint beam is I really want to run gm bolt pattern but don't want the wheels sticking out to far
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

If you are thinking GM I will have a set of 14" GM wheels, tires and adaptors freed up sometime soon as I am going with Porsche bolt pattern on mine. These are Centerline look-a-likes.

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
If you are thinking GM I will have a set of 14" GM wheels, tires and adaptors freed up sometime soon as I am going with Porsche bolt pattern on mine. These are Centerline look-a-likes.

I have a set of cragar look a likes that I want to runn on this new buggy. think it will look cleaner. got 14 for the front and 15 for the rear
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

Shortening the front beam is far easier than welding on a new frame head. There are 2 layers of metal in the front and separating them is about a half days work. Narrowing a beam, you can cut and install it in the same amount of time.

What tubes are rotten on the shortened pan?

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: