Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Light wiring problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Brake Light wiring problem Reply with quote

I have a 78 Super that Was given to me but it has been no gift. It has lots of issues. One of which is that pack rats ate a significant amount of the wiring. I’m trying to sort out the lights. I have running lights but no brake lights. I can’t seem to locate 1. The power source for the lights and 2. The actual wires that run from the fuse panel to the rear of the vehicle

I’ve studied the wiring diagram and it looks like fuse #11 is the brake light fuse. And it looks like it should be hot all the time. What color wire supplies the power?

Will the brake lights work if the horn is disconnected?

Thanks for the help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light wiring problem Reply with quote

Your brake lights (M9 and M10) are on tracks 38 and 41 in the diagram below. Power comes through fuse 11 when the ignition switch is on, running from the fuse via a black wire to a single connector (T3a) where it splits off to the horn via a black and yellow wire, but also continues through the connector to the two brake light switches (F) via a pair of red and yellow wires. The blue and brown wires shown at the switches go up to the brake warning light (K7) on the dash. From the brake light switches should be a pair of red and black wires that join together at another connector, a single red and black wire then running from there back to the rear of the car where it again splits into two wires that run one to each brake light.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The brake lights should still work if the horn is disconnected, provided it is the wiring located at the horn that is disconnected and not the black power wire at the output side of fuse 11.
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light wiring problem Reply with quote

Hey man, thanks for the handy diagram. Having colors helps a lot. I’ve managed to repair the wiring from the fuse, to the brake light switches, and to the tail lights. I’ve hit wired them and they work! Had to replace the master cylinder in the process.

But, I have no black 12v switched input anywhere. I’m not sure if the pack rates got that, or it was pulled out for other reasons. So, I’ve got to find another 12v switched option. I’d rather not piggy back on another circuit, but I really don’t want to crack open the steering column to solder in a new wire.

Any advice? What if I swap out all of the running light bulbs w LED? That would significantly cut the load on each circuit. Then I could use fuse 1 and 2 respectively to power the brake lights (LED also).

Kinda hackey, but my enthusiasm is waning
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light wiring problem Reply with quote

Bill T. wrote:
But, I have no black 12v switched input anywhere. I’m not sure if the pack rates got that, or it was pulled out for other reasons. So, I’ve got to find another 12v switched option. I’d rather not piggy back on another circuit, but I really don’t want to crack open the steering column to solder in a new wire.

You don't have to open the steering column housing. The ignition switch plug can be accessed from the bottom end of the ignition switch below the key. There are two OUTPUT wires you should test...
    #15 - solid black wire. This is the black wire that powers the #11 & #12 fuses in the fuse box. Test that this wire has 12v while the key is in the ON/RUN and START positions. Trace this wire and make sure it connects to the INPUT side of fuses #11 & #12. This is the ONLY suitible circuit to power the ignition coil since it is powered WHILE the key is in the START position.

#X - black/yellow wire. This is the accessory wire that powers fuse #10 in the fuse box. Test that this wire has 12v in the ON/RUN position, but is NOT powered in the START position.
    This wire could be used to power the brake lights, but really there is not good reason to switch (see below).

Bill T. wrote:
Any advice? What if I swap out all of the running light bulbs w LED? That would significantly cut the load on each circuit. Then I could use fuse 1 and 2 respectively to power the brake lights (LED also).

All but one of your running lights are powered by a single 8A fuse (#2). The remaining light (left rear) is powered by its own 8A fuse (#1). This is by design. All of the 5W parking lights could be run from a single 8A fuse without a problem (total load = 2A), but when that fuse blew you would have NO parking lights when parked on the side of a dark road. Better to have one of the rear parking lights on a separate fuse so it would remain functional. The point is that placing all your parking lights on a single fuse is NOT a good idea. The load of BOTH your brake lights only works out to 4A and is not a burden for an 8A fuse. There is no need to go with LEDs if your only concern is excessive load on the fuses. There is an argument for running LED brake lights to reduce the current flow THRU the brake switches to prolong their life.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light wiring problem Reply with quote

Mukluk/ashman you are great!

Mukluk, the colored wiring diagram has been very helpful. I’ve been using it. Along with the book to figure out what is supposed to be where. Like I said the pack rats did a nasty job on the wiring. Who knew wire insulation was so tasty! A great deal of the wiring in the rear drivers seat well is just gone. Stubs of wires laying there like tree stumps after a hurricane

Ashman, thank you for the info on the location of the origin of the 12v “running “ wire. I was able to trace that black wire from the plug at the steering wheel and learn that it had been run directly to the electric fuel pump. It then came back to terminal #11 to supply power. Creative wiring at its finest.

I’ve still not been able to get much of anything to work, but at least I found the mysterious wires and tested the black primary wire from the switch to ascertain that it indeed shows 12 v at start and run. The black/yellow wire shows 12v at run.

I will probably be bleating for help again in the future
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: