Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it worth it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

5K driver till it dies , in the meantime look for a dry Western Bus and a good shop to swap everything over.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
5K driver till it dies , in the meantime look for a dry Western Bus and a good shop to swap everything over.

This.

That’s some crunchy rust. It takes a lot of rust the frame rails and cross members.

The sad thing is some sucker will probably pay 10k for it without looking underneath.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

look out west for a bus from a dry bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

A friend of mine bought a Jeep like that. Looked pretty good body wise, one spot of rust on a front fender, but the floor isn't rotted out and there are no bubbles here and there in the paint from rust saviging the body. But underneath, oh my gosh. The frame is rusted to a point of undrivability. It has 4 link suspension front and rear. and the bottom mounts where the links attach to the frame are all but rusted off. The body mounts are rusted off, but the thing still sits level and true. He didn't look underneath before he bought it, as he was enamored by the shiny paint and bolt on light bars and such. The girl he bought it from told him it was her "beach Jeep"( we live on the Gulf coast). He figures he will end up with $20,000 in his $7500 Jeep.
So, my advice to you is to run away. Rust like that is difficult and expensive(very Expensive!) to minimize, and unlike my friend who can replace his frame, your frame is welded to your body. As many have said, find a solid, western bus.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

The body is toast and the engine's FI system is gone, replaced with a centermount carb?

That's a $1000 bus, no matter who pays what for it. (and that's generous, but the westy interiors are getting a lot of coin these days so maybe.)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
The body is toast and the engine's FI system is gone, replaced with a centermount carb?

That's a $1000 bus, no matter who pays what for it. (and that's generous, but the westy interiors are getting a lot of coin these days so maybe.)

agree - parts bus.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Wow, from a 12k unrealiatic ask to a 5k drive it till it drops to a parts bus.
Maybe this was a beach bus on the outer banks....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Holy crap! That turd is near me. With the amount of rot in that thing, I thought it was from above the Mason-Dixon Line.
https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1976-vw-westfalia/6701160565.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

I do not see the rot.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

From Portland, you probably can't see the rot. But if you were to get a little closer, say Louisville, you will be able to see it! And if you get into North Carolina, you can most likely hear it rust! I've seen rustier(I once lived in Chicago in a former life), but not one that looked so presentable and yet was so crusty underneath.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

As a guide - last year I bought a 70 bus for around £4000 which required work. I had the bottm 6 inches replaced all round, wheel arches, jacking points, some chasis repairs and the protected with 3M paint where repaired.

Total outlay now with repairs is circa £10,000. I now have a solid bus underneath. That's about the price being asked for the bus on offer before any work has started!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: