Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newly built 1776 engine idles rough
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claydoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Newly built 1776 engine. I’m experiencing an issue with rust within my fuel system. I’ve been banging my carb to get it running when it pitter patters out.

But I took it on the highway and after it’s been idling at a higher rpm. (Noticeably louder)But it drives alright other than the occasional rust blockage.

Also I’m in 15-20 degree hotter temps than normal

If anyone could let me know the order they recommend checking things in.

I’m a novice thanks
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Let's start with basics:

Type and brand of carb?
Type and brand of distributor?
What's the timing set to?
What's the idle RPM readout on the tachometer?

A pic of the engine would be helpful too.

Also as an aside, if you have a known rust problem in the fuel system- you need to address that properly. Time to pull the tank, change filters, blow out metal lines with air, and replace metal and rubber lines as necessary.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

The rust is probably coming from the fuel tank. Why dont you replace the fuel tank or recoat it with the POR15 gas tank sealer. You will need to flush the gas line out as well.

Be careful working on gas tanks. No heat sources and no sparks.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Claydoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

I’ve already replaced the fuel tank the fuel filter and some of the line. I think the carb is just contaminated. It was taken apart and blown out but still occasional hiccup. Seems to happen after I fuel up usually.

I don’t have a tach.
I will take some pictures to post shortly.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Claydoh wrote:
I’ve already replaced the fuel tank the fuel filter and some of the line. I think the carb is just contaminated. It was taken apart and blown out but still occasional hiccup. Seems to happen after I fuel up usually.

I don’t have a tach.
I will take some pictures to post shortly.

Again, what carb and distributor?
What is your timing set to?
Valve lash?
---These settings are critical to proper idle and running characteristics.

-The particular set up (carb and distributor) you have may be a 'mismatched' pair or a carb or distributor with a bad rep for poor running characteristics.

And you need to get a tach to hook up so you can set the idle appropriately in the 800-950 RPM range at warmed up idle.

Most timing lights can also have be timing/tach/dwell/voltmeter combos.

Or you may opt to have separate tools for each of those tasks.

Such as these:
https://www.amazon.com/ESI-585K-Deluxe-Automotive-...automotive
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3568-Digital-Timing-...&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3568-Digital-Timing-...t&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3568-Digital-Timing-...t&th=1
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

You could also have rubber from deteriorating hoses in the system. This was inside the carbs of my 73 Bus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Claydoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

[/img]
Claydoh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Quote:
Again, what carb and distributor?
What is your timing set to?
Valve lash?

And you need to get a tach to hook up so you can set the idle appropriately in the 800-950 RPM range at warmed up idle.

I don’t know the timing or the valve lash.
I posted pictures of carb and distributor
I have a 34 pict 3 carb

I plan to get a tach I just haven’t figured out which one and where I wanna mount it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Claydoh wrote:

I plan to get a tach I just haven’t figured out which one and where I wanna mount it

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear- that is my fault. I meant the tool (handheld) tachometer. Not a gauge on your dash, for diagnostic/troubleshooting purposes you will need to tool, not the gauge.

Quote:

Such as these:
(Tach/dwell meter)
https://www.amazon.com/ESI-585K-Deluxe-Automotive-...automotive
(Timing lights w/ advance)
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3568-Digital-Timing-...k129040-20
(Timing light w/ tach, dwell, and voltmeter combo)

If you don't know the valve lash, you'll need to check that. Need a 'feeler gauge' for that.

Like this set:
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25025-Blade-Master-Feeler/dp/B000BYGIR4

Also, if you don't have any manuals for your bug follow this link to see some good manuals/resources to have when working on the Bug

AlmostHeavenWV's Orientation Page for the Samba
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Unfortunately you have aftermarket units for the most crucial aspects of a carbureted engine - carburetor and distributor.

You'll need to check your valves and then use a timing light to see what your timing is.

Clean looking engine.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Well, that looks like a wrong carburetor for that Distributor and if it has a cam that explains the rough idle. You may need to set the advance to more than 7.5' BTDC static to smooth it out or get an OEM DVDA distributor with vacuum lines at least the advance line hooked up to the PICT-34/3 Best solution though is to use a Fuel Injection system or Dual IDF or D carburetors. If your 69 is still using the original non doghouse fan shroud and oil cooler that would explain it running hot but it may be just that it is not broken in yet.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Claydoh wrote:
Newly built 1776 engine. I’m experiencing an issue with rust within my fuel system. I’ve been banging my carb to get it running when it pitter patters out.

Pull the top off your carb and take out the float. Look into the fuel bowl and see if there are ANY deposits. It is a new engine and new carb. There should be NOTHING in there besides the fuel. If you have rust deposits it is likely your problem. If you are running a fuel filter it should catch the larger chunks but could allow fine dust thru. Unfortunately the carb passages are so small that even cardboard dust particles can clog them. Rust is even worse.

You need to take some action to clean out the tanks, the lines AND the carb. Until you can ensure the fuel delivery system is free of rust flakes you can't count on a reliable carb.

I like how clean and new your engine looks, but whomever built your engine was not trying for a reliable engine. It looks like they picked up the parts that were "most available".
The lean running 34Pict carb should not (cannot?) be matched to a mechanical-only distributor like the one you have. The carb expects a "boost" of ignition timing just as the throttle is open. This comes from the vacuum advance being connected to ported vacuum from the carb. Ported vacuum goes from zero at idle to nearly full vacuum advance as soon as the throttle plate is opened. After that it adjust based on engine load. This type of advance was meant to be an emission feature but the 34Pict carb was DESIGNED to work with such a distributor. Without this "boost" the engine falls flat just as the throttle opens. Also, there is a power available at cruise speeds that goes untapped when a vacuum advance distributor is not used.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Also, I've had issues with those generic coils. http://guacamolebus.blogspot.com/2009/02/coil-autopsy.html
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Also, I've had issues with those generic coils. http://guacamolebus.blogspot.com/2009/02/coil-autopsy.html

Thanks for the link. I'm having a hesitation under load and this gives me the idea that it coutbe my coil. Mine isn't a generic one but it's rather old. Car sat since '98, so at least that old.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

What kind of coil is it? There's no label visible, but unless it says Bosch on there somewhere, it's probably crap.

A good one will last a lifetime unless damaged. A crap one is, well, crap. Wink
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly built 1776 engine idles rough Reply with quote

Yes It's all related, Spark, timing at take off, Advance curve, fuel squirter, and the one a lot of folks over look is too big of an exhaust pipe. 1 and 1/2" headers are too big for a 1600cc or even a 1776cc unless it has better heads like Mofoco 41's or L3's. I have run into these problems on my Dual Port Engines. Dual Carbs fix it though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: