Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

SHORT STORY:

I bought a 'good used' engine once and it burned me the same way. The compression looked good but the rings were totally apparently shot. Once installed it just smoked endlessly.

LONG STORY:
When I was scheduled to move from San Francisco to Minneapolis in 2004, I grenaded an engine in my 76 Westfalia just 6 weeks before we were scheduled to leave.

Money was tight and I bought a 'good used' engine, then took it and my bus to BUSLAB in Berkeley, Ca to check it out and install it for me while I got ready to move.

They didn't finish it on time so I had to fly back out to San Francisco to pick it up and drive back on my own. When I called them they said it was done, and although the compression looked good before they installed it - it was smoking like crazy and they said there was nothing they could do about it as that meant the rings were shot.

I had to take a taxi from SFO to BUSLAB in Berkeley so I could pay them the $1400 they charged me to install it, then get it out of their shop. They actually left the keys in it for me as they couldn't be bothered to come down to the shop and meet me when my flight got me into town and they were closed on the weekend.

No matter how much that engine ran, it just endlessly belched smoke and eventually it wouldn't even start and run again. It worked for maybe an hour and then nothing.

I loved that Westfalia so much, but I was broke and stuck in Berkeley without a way to get back to Minnesota. Someone found a guy on Craigslist who came to meet me and gave me $400 for it so I could buy a plane ticket back to MN.

Ever since I practically cry at the sight of chrome yellow late bay Westfalia's. I still hold a grudge against the guy that sold me the engine and BUSLAB, but mostly myself for doing anything other than just maxing out the CC and getting a new engine installed right away.

Last edited by airkooledchris on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

that is a sad story. Really. What a disappointment.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

*edit - airkooledchris that really sucks! I really hope I'm not in the same spot with blown rings, I guess we'll see.

I did a hand full of things like tried putting an aftermarket breather leading from a hose on the original one to the top part of the engine compartment, that didn't do much good. I ran a hose and pinched it off from that oil filler, ran a hose back to the breather but with a loop in the middle to hopefully catch any stray oil from entering the boot and put it back to the boot. I also replaced the oil filter just incase that was backing things up somehow (hadn't yet replaced it) and I replaced the valve gasket TWICE.

I noticed after doing these things that if I pulled off the oil fill cap and put it upside down that the suction from the case would actually hold it in place. Placing my hand over it and it would suck my hand in. So- the crank pressure seems normal then, eh? I mean, sucking air in means it's not creating enough pressure for blow-by right? Because it's not pushing any air out and everything seems to be working... right??

I checked the hose from the breather to the intake boot a few times and didn't see any oil in it so I don't think it's sucking oil up. And anyway, when I had the other breather on there it still smoked like a pot head who won the lottery!

I think there was some kind of pressure buildup before in the valve cover because that gasket blew out after I replaced it... just like the other one that I replaced did. So that was weird, but now it's not leaking there like it was before.

I'm wondering if the huge amounts of oil is getting into the cylinders from the valves somehow (do these have valve seals... or should I try replacing the valve guide seals????) because really after running some RESTORE and then thickening the oil with NO SMOKE it really should have calmed down quite a bit... but it's still blazing like those dufaces who "roll coal" in their diesel trucks. I'd rather not run NO SMOKE and just have normal motor oil in there (I use 10W40 and have always used that for bays and vanagons) so really I'm kind of stumped and confused and a bit defeated here. What would be letting oil into the combustion chamber?? Would blow-by exist with decent compression like this? If you haven't watched my video at the beginning of the thread just take a look and see how much is billowing out. It seems to idle without smoke for the first 10 minutes or so then smoke starts coming out and once it heats up after those 10 minutes it billows out like crazy from the exhaust when I rev it or put it into gear and try to drive away.

Any ideas? I'm stumped, but really don't see how this much smoke could be from blow-by due to the observation of negative pressure in the case and also thickening the oil to the point where it should have done at least something...

While I was under there I took a look at the valve guides, and they look like they're leaking on the driver side. Would these let oil into the combustion chamber past the valves? Could replacing these be the solution?

Our baby is due this Saturday (two more days!) and man would I like to finish this up before he gets here. Any advice is very very appreciated. Sad
'78 Transporter Moon Roof Camper Conversion
'78 Westy Restoration
'85 Westy 1.8T AEB 50* w/adapter plate
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
'91 1.8T ATW 50* w/diesel components
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

sure - the air being sucked into the oil filler cap is feeding the engine which must be very rich. The PCV is there on an FI engine to hold the case pressure the same inside the engine as outside. Otherwise air gets sucked thru the oil and picks it up into the S-boot.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Once you do those two things the engine may or may not run better. One possibility is that the AFM has been made way rich to deal with the air leak. Another possibility is that the engine has a bad case of blowby from worn rings or guides, and that it will continue to spit oil out from that.

Okay- so I've done those two things mentioned with the oil fill being air-tight and the valve cover gasket replaced, so I guess now we're down to checking the AFM to see if it's been set to run mad rich? Would that cause crazy amounts of smoke after warming up? I've got another one or two good ones on-hand I can test out to just see how much off it's been set, but not sure how that is causing all of the smoke/burning oil.

Perhaps like you mentioned the blowby is from worn guides... I'd much rather have that be the case because of the convenience of replacing those vs replacing the rings... do you think that because they seem to be leaking that it's a good bet they're causing all the blue/white smoke? I'm at a loss of what to do next, but real eager to figure this one out. Is there any test that I could do to check how oil is getting in the chamber besides just replacing everything?
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
karma tip: Go park it at the front of the house of the guy who sold you the engine. Top off the oil. Start and run it for 30 minutes before pulling away.

You left off ..with 250 ml of diesel in the gas tank ....but full points awarded nonetheless.....

=D
framed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

I had once old Volvo that started smoking as hell.
It had broken brake main cylinder and touch of brake resulted smoke
all over. It sucked brakefluid through booster vacuum hose Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

There is not that much difference in the amount of work needed in order to do just the valve guides and to also replace the pistons and cylinders. You should just plan on doing both while you have the engine out and the heads removed. You might be able to get by with just doing the rings instead of buying P&Cs, but you would need to clean, inspect, and measure the pistons and cylinders very carefully to be sure they are in good enough shape to reuse.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

the bit about the brake fluid is correct too. Have you checked your brake reservoir to be sure it is not dropping quickly?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
I still hold a grudge against the guy that sold me the engine and BUSLAB, but mostly myself for doing anything other than just maxing out the CC and getting a new engine installed right away.

why would you be mad at buslab? they installed your (customer supplied) engine....if the engine didn't fall out of the bus, I don't see why you could be mad at them. keys in the car for after hours pick up is normal too, as long as the bill was squared up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

I checked the brake fluid just incase and it's at the same level it's always been. Checked the brake booster line and there doesn't seem to be any fluid in it coming back into the air distributor.

Pulled the valve covers and pulled the rockers, rods, and guide tubes and everything looks a bit off. One of the valve springs kind of shook around a little bit on driver side and on passenger side one of the rockers has been kind of beaten to death and so has the valve that it hits, kind of weird... like the inside rocker on cyl 1 wouldn't move in and out like the others did toward each other with the spring in the middle.... I guess after I get the tin off and start pulling the heads it will tell us more about what's going on.

Would I be able to turn over the motor by hand and inspect the pistons, cylinders, and rings, or is there not really any way to inspect the rings without pulling the cylinders? I've got the motor in the bus still as I needed it in there to pull the exhaust and get underneath (don't have a stand or anything). Might just leave it in there. Kind of hoping to run into the problem and fix it before getting things out all the way, but knowing my luck I'll have to replace everything.

Also, both exhaust headers were pretty bad with the amount of carbon buildup inside, and when I started it this afternoon smoke came out right away and there was black oil in the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe.
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Once you get the pushrod tubes out you can use a magnet to pull several of your lifters. The level of wear on your lifters and cam will be a good indication of what kind of life the bottom end of the engine has left in it. Make sure that each lifter you pull goes back in the same hole it came from

You have to pull the heads to do the guides and at that points it is not much more work to slip the cylinders off the pistons and then to to remove the clips and knock the pins out of the pistons and remove the pistons.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

lifters go back in the same spots. Sounds like the heads are failing. Need to pull them if a spring is loose. Might be a bused guide or sunken seat.

The downside is that while it is out and the heads off you will see the opportunity to go thru the lower end too and just rebuild the entire motor. Regardless take lots of notes and photos as you take things apart.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Wow- rambled a bit on this one, read the bold to get the gist of it! Smile

Yeah, if I pull the heads might as well do everything I can while I'm in there. I'd just like to pinpoint this outrageous smoke problem and be sure it's fixed.

I took off the intake tubes/distributor spider leg things and check 'em out- they've got this weird substance on them that's almost like mud. I put a new fuel filter on after flushing the tank (with gas) and so I wouldn't think this would be rust or anything... and the person who sold it to me had the intake covered, so I don't think anything got in, but I'm thinking it might be a bunch of the copper substance that I added into the oil from RESTORE. I also added some BARR'S engine stop leak that looks this substance/color too, also added SMOKE STOP... Yeah... I just about tried everything to calm down that smoke without any success with the "easy fix". Once again it's worse than I thought.

Here are some pictures of what that stuff looked like. I'm fairly certain that it's just the BAR'S and RESTORE oil additive that blew past a valve via the valve cover and up into the intake. It's pretty nasty!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, the injectors are functioning properly and don't seem to be clogged at all. I mean, there's no way all this made it in from the gas tank if anything was left in there... it's got to be that RESTORE with the copper fragments doing their job... but just in the wrong place! Check out this next photo- I take a peak at the valves from behind and low and behold seem to be missing something on Cyl. #3 - that's right, the same cylinder that seems to be causing so many problems in the first place and where the leak seemed to happen and the one with low compression.... check 'em out...

That's the intake valve for Cylinder 3 (driver side toward front of vehicle) and the rest look like this:

They all look pretty much like that with this yellow-ish boot/gasket/valve sleeve thing on there... is that a valve guide? I thought valve guides were the tubes I took off that those rods went through to push on the rockers! Forgive me for being so new at this! Trust me- I'm learning lots here and am loving this learning experience. It gets pretty hard sometimes, but hey I'm all for learning when it has nothing to do with the university. $50k in debt and a useless piece of paper v.s. driving down the road and camping out makes all the difference in the world Wink

That being said, I really wish I had one of those useless pieces of paper right now as our son is due TODAY! Yikes, I guess worse case scenario we move into the Westy again and finish up school online from the Walmart parking lot... ha!

Anyhow, I tend to get WAY off track! Back to the problem---> Here's to hoping that someone can help us out to identify what exactly cylinder 3 is missing, if it's made this entire mess (as I suspect if it's a gasket of sorts) and just how exactly we should go about fixing it to get back on the road and enjoy this beautiful fall weather here in Utah.

Arrow As always, any advice, council, experience, jokes, or just a point in the right direction is very appreciated!! I'll hold off on taking apart the rest as I think this just might be the problem and hopefully replacing this seal will be the solution.
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

UtahGOgear wrote:
..... our son is due TODAY! ...

Exciting!, I can see why you are busting a nut on this bus right now, in a few days you won't have time for it at all.

That missing thing is indeed part of the valve guide, not good. That spacer gasket on #3 looks damaged as well, it could have caused a lean condition that contributed to the troubles you have now.

I know you don't want to hear this, but don't stray too far from civilization with that motor, it's days are numbered as it is now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Yeah I'd love to fix it before he gets here! I guess we'll see how late he arrives...

That spacer gasket does look pretty bad, I didn't even see it! I think oil is building up in there and made it's way into the combustion chamber and blew off the valve cover gasket as well. I think it's just because of the crank pressure.

How come I can't find a replacement valve guide that looks like this one? It's not a jimmy rigged one from a rabbit or something, is it?
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Ya know what, I totally thought these were rubber or something but looks like they're made of brass? Found 'em online, I guess now I've got to replace it... I wonder where the broken one has gone Shocked
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

UtahGOgear wrote:
Yeah I'd love to fix it before he gets here! I guess we'll see how late he arrives...

That spacer gasket does look pretty bad, I didn't even see it! I think oil is building up in there and made it's way into the combustion chamber and blew off the valve cover gasket as well. I think it's just because of the crank pressure.

How come I can't find a replacement valve guide that looks like this one? It's not a jimmy rigged one from a rabbit or something, is it?

You need to pop the heads off and send them in to a qualified shop, not just any automotive machine shop can work on these things. It actually looks like your head has a chunk missing where the valve guide goes, again the head needs to go to a qualified shop to see if it is reusable.

Pull a couple of lifters out and let us see what the business end of the lifters look like and what the cam looks like.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

A valve guide isn't something you can do in the driveway, the head has to come off, the guide pressed out, a new one installed and reamed, etc... And while the head is off I'm sure you'll find other things like cracks or loose seats as well as ugliness in the cylinders.
Run it as is, or dive in and do a top overhaul at least.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

that mung in your intake sure looks like rusty poopy oily shit to me. I am going to guess that engine ingested a healthy dose of water at some point and destroyed the pistons and cylinders.

for this to freight train that much smoke, I am willing to be that your oil control rings are frozen solid to the pistons

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: