Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The wiggly thing is the center of the clutch disc, it should not move at all. Time for at least a new disc and a careful inspection of all the rest of the clutch pieces.

Darn! I must have broken it when I pulled the motor at an angle without tilting the tranny. I've got a spare on-hand thankfully so maybe I'll just throw that one on.
'78 Transporter Moon Roof Camper Conversion
'78 Westy Restoration
'85 Westy 1.8T AEB 50* w/adapter plate
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
'91 1.8T ATW 50* w/diesel components
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

I just replaced the cylinders and pistons and rings with brand new ones on the driver side, but as I go to pull the head on the passenger side (1 & 2) cylinder 1 looks as bad as freaking cylinder 3 did on the other side! I mean- this sucker is beat to crap and I can't quite figure out why because the valve guide seems to be there still (unlike on 3 where it was just blown to pieces).

Sure enough, the rings seem pretty crappy and have tons of build-up all over them. Lots of cleaning, but luckily inside the case looks pretty clean.

So- what do you guys think is up with cylinder 1? It's not the cylinder really, it's actually just the piston and head where the valves are that is beat like someone accidentally dropped a screw, rock, etc... into it and it beat around in there for a while. I figure there's no way the intake valve seal from 3 jumped all the way up the air distributor and made it's way into 1 and had a good time in there before blowing out the exhaust.... that just seems stupid... so my question I guess- the grand question- the question I take far too long asking is this: what do you think got stuck in cylinder 1 enough to beat up the piston (see previous page of thread for reference of similarly beat cyl. 3), what should I check to make sure I can still use the head, and is it even logical to use the same head even though it's a bit beat up around the valves?

P.S. If you have a spare head laying around for a 2.0 and looking to just get it out of your shop/garage..... Wink there's one broke fool out here in Utah who could really use it!
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

This could be preexisting damage. Probably hard to look the head over for cracks if it is beat up, but heads seem to run this way okay, so its your decision on whether to run with what you have or not.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

OK - we have seen enough to know that the engine is a marginal poop box.

You can probably cobble it together well enough to get the Bus running, but it won't be a reliable long time/distance cruiser until the checkbook gets hammered.

With a new one in the house, enjoy him, take care of her, and come back to the Bus in a year.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

With a new one in the house, enjoy him, take care of her, and come back to the Bus in a year.

Sound advice! Haha thanks Smile I think I'll wrap things up today and do just that!

Wildthings- I'll check for cracks and if everything looks okay then I'll just throw on the new pistons, rings, cylinders for that side and use the existing head. Man, I also found a spark plug under the tin than looks like it's been there forever. I mean, I try to cut shortcuts and hope for the best, but I guess I just found one of the worst motors around that was said to be "like new". HA! I guess I've learned a lesson or two along the way though, so I suppose in the end all this problem solving is really worth the education. Perhaps one day I will be able to help someone else whose stuck on the side of the road... who knows!

I'll update when it's all back together. Fingers crossed!
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

OKAY FINALLY!!!!!!

Long story short- she runs great. There was just a little smoke at first, but then nothing! Doesn't shake at all either! I can't wait to get it on the road and take our son on his first camp out! Or maybe just a late night...

PLEASE let me know if what I did sounds right. It's making quite a bit of noise like you can hear all the valves or something... I can't remember if it's normal or not as we haven't had a [running] bus in a while. Here's what I did, please please please any input or advice or correction is very welcome as I'm still learning lots and just really want to run things by you guys before hitting the road. All comments are greatly appreciated!

So- I replaced the pistons, rings, and cylinders. They all came in a set and I took the pistons out of the cylinders just to make sure the rings were off-set as I've seen online. I made is so they're not lined up obviously, but that they aren't on the bottom ether because I heard that if you have a gap on the bottom of the cylinder (like pointing toward the road) it will let oil past slowly and smoke each time you start it up. For sure don't need that....

I heavily inspected the head(s) and put them on, then set the valve clearance on the rockers. I did this by finding TDC of cylinder #1 and marking it on the flywheel. I made sure it was TDC by physically checking the cylinder was all the way toward the top and re-checking it with the head on and rockers, etc in place. I started there and adjusted the intake and exhaust to .006, then rotated the flywheel CCW 180 deg. and did #2. I then rotated it again 180 deg. CCW to my TDC mark and did 3, then rotated it to the 180 deg. CCW once more to do #4. I did notice that the intake valve on #3 was a bit weird- the rod would push into the hydraulic lifter and bounce back a little bit. Perhaps this is what blew the valve guide on this very valve- perhaps it was pushing the valve too far open because of something funk with the lifter and that's what bent the valve and shattered the brass guide. Thoughts? I just set it to .006 like the rest.

I then replaced the clutch and flywheel with a spare one I had in the garage because I had broken the other one taking the motor off like a duface. I checked the input shaft from the tranny just to make sure there wasn't abnormal play- it seemed fine.

I then pretty much just hooked everything up, drained the oil (it came out green because of the mixture of RESTORE and NO SMOKE I put in.... man, $30 down the drain! Actually recycled with the oil, but still...) I filled it up to the top mark on the dip stick with 10W 40. That's what I've always been using for the aircooled vanagon and busses.

*I replaced the oil and air filter as well with new ones, used some newer spark plugs as well. New valve gaskets.... a few other odds and ends.

It fired right up but ran a bit weird and then I realized I forgot to plug in the AFM, so I killed it and plugged the AFM in and it fired up strong and seems to be running great. No wobbling or anything... just seemed a bit loud to me. Nothing in particular though, just louder than normal I suppose. Maybe it's because I was in the garage though? Hm.

Well hey anyway, if there's something that doesn't sound right please let me know or if I missed something or there was something you would have done differently (yeah besides rebuild it to perfection or buy a rebuilt motor...) I'm all ears!

In the end this has been a huge pain in the butt, but I'm happy to have learned a lot from the experience. Thanks for everyone's input and comments, I really do appreciate it a lot!
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

If you have hydraulic lifters, which it sounds like you may. Then after you run your engine for 15 minutes or so you need to go back and set the lifter preload at 2 turns past initial contact. The point of contact can vary greatly from valve to valve and can vary greatly on the same valve if you run the screw in twice. You want to use you fingers to turn the screw in to find the point of contact because it can be very subtle and then turn it in ~2 turns.

If you set your valve lash with the crank out 360° your valves will be very noisy. You want to be sure that when you have the #1 cylinder at TDC and are ready to adjust the valves on #1 that the rockers on #3 are at overlap (rockers moving in opposite directions when you rotate the crank a bit). The rockers on #1 should not be moving.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

The oil ring gap goes up top, the other two go at 120 degrees offset

As long as the oil gap isn’t on the bottom it’s ok, though.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Okay I just went out on a test drive and it still smokes bluish/white smoke like crazy. This really sucks... all I can think of is maybe ether there is some moisture getting in the gas somehow? I pulled the tube from the breather and there was for sure some fresh oil that had made it's way up the tube that goes to the intake boot. Perhaps it's just getting sucked up through that now??????

Man, to go through all that work and still have this problem... not fun! It does seem to smoke a lot less though, but still enough where I would probably get pulled over, especially when I gas it it really blows thick.

Time to place bets! Again... Rolling Eyes

I'm going to go clamp the hose from the breather to intake boot but leave the breather open and see what we get.
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

You need to break your new rings in by doing some hard driving for the first couple of hundred miles. Accelerate hard getting up to speed, pull some short but relatively steep hills. Make the compression force the rings out hard against the cylinder walls.

Don't know what your present smoking problem is, but I would tend to ignore it if it isn't super bad until the rings are broke in.

White smoke can be caused by a valve guide moving in the head.

How much oil are you running in the crankcase? Has someone added valve cover vents to your crankcase ventilation system?
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Also, I just went to start it with that hose pinched as mentioned above and there's no power to the fuel pump. Nada. The PO had it hard wired to turn on with ignition, now it doesn't turn on at all. I wonder if excessive fuel pressure somehow could have done it? Yikes... well, I'm off for the day to visit some family but tomorrow I'll throw in a spare FP and see if the breather was just letting by too much oil. The flap in the breather is gone, so it's pretty much just a straight shot to the intake.... so maybe what's burning now is what's running through the breather. It is a bit better, but not at high RPM's under load.
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You need to break your new rings in by doing some hard driving for the first couple of hundred miles. Accelerate hard getting up to speed, pull some short but relatively steep hills. Make the compression force the rings out hard against the cylinder walls.

Don't know what your present smoking problem is, but I would tend to ignore it if it isn't super bad until the rings are broke in.

White smoke can be caused by a valve guide moving in the head.

How much oil are you running in the crankcase? Has someone added valve cover vents to your crankcase ventilation system?

It's gotten a lot better for sure, but still smokes a bit. No one's added valve cover vents. I really checked the heads out and it doesn't seem that there's any guides that are moving out of place, they all seemed really in there. The smoke is pretty bad... like enough for someone to probably laugh when I really gas it, but not like before where someone would just be ticked off because they can't see while driving... is that pretty normal to have to brake in rings like that? Ether way I've got to throw in a FP it seems.
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

What brand were the pistons rings and cylinders labeled, and how much did you pay for them?

That will tell us if the brand and label match.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

The later Vanagons used a 6mm orifice in the hose from the breather to the S boot and tend to run fine with the valve in the breather rotted away. The breather valve in the Vanagon operated exactly opposite of how the Bay breather worked as far as crankcase pressure though.

Note: The Late Vanagons used a tiny heater to keep the orifice from freezing up in cold weather. Since my early Vanagon doesn't see much in the way of cold weather running anymore I just added an unheated 6mm orifice, so far so good.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I just added an unheated 6mm orifice, so far so good.

What do you mean by a 6mm orifice? I googled it but don't really understand how it goes between the breather and intake boot. Do you have any pictures by chance? Does the breather need that vacuum to suck air/fumes out of the crank case??? I've been wondering if that's necessary because otherwise I could just run a tube up high and put a filter on it and close off the tube to the intake and call it good... that's if oil is getting sucked in there and causing smoke still on acceleration... Wouldn't it be kind of nuts to have blowby still with new rings cylinders and pistons? Doesn't that just seem wack??

The pistons, rings, cylinders I got off Ebay paid around $260 for the set and they're AA for the 2.0 engine. I even messaged the seller just to make sure. 94mm.

On another note, I hope my fuel pump had nothing to do with this. I considered that maybe it's running mad rich for some reason and that's causing the smoke..... but then again, wouldn't explain the oil spitting out the tail pipe.
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

The orifice would be to control the crankcase gas flow if your breather is shot.
I just stuffed a pipe cap with a 6mm (1/4") hole drilled in it into the breather hose. If nothing else it will keep the air pulses from the pistons moving in and out from reaching the AFM and causing the vain to vibrate.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

I really have to just shake my head in amazement...

Where on earth do people get the idea that you can just buy some wasted/used/hammered 40-year-old light alloy air-cooled motor,
That spent it's whole life pushing a heavy Bus,
And just stab it in and go?

Someone somewhere told you it worked that way?

The seller of the old motor said it was true?

These things can die even if everything is right.

Good Used - That's an oxymoron!

I see all of that muck all over that motor,
And know right away,
That you'll have to go through it.

It's not going to just run like it is; maybe around the block a few times.
That thing is done. Stick a fork in it!

If you're lucky, it's a rebuildable core...

What’s That Noise?!?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

UtahGOgear wrote:

The pistons, rings, cylinders I got off Ebay paid around $260 for the set and they're AA for the 2.0 engine. I even messaged the seller just to make sure. 94mm..

umm....hate to be Donny Downer...but:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708264&highlight=aa+piston+rings

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677232&highlight=aa+rings

AA rings have been trash for a while....

sorry, try again....

I wouldn't use AA rings to shim a wobbly table

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
These things can die even if everything is right.

It's like going through the trouble of reading up on how to make a pocket knife, going out and finding the ore, mining it, refining it, and casting it the best you can to eventually have a real neat pocket knife. There are those people, then there are the people who just ask someone else to give them a pocket knife or just buy one from the store.... they learn nothing and are more likely to cut themselves than the person who took the time and effort to learn and actually make one, even if their first attempt comes out looking like a spoon. The only failure in my eyes will be in giving up on finding a solution and fixing the problem on this motor. I'm not the type of person to throw in the towel or "put a fork in it".

skills@eurocarsplus - hahaha yeah, I ordered them then when they came I read up on AA and dang dude... there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings! Seems like a hit or miss.... but hey, they're in there. I do have plans for this bus in the future that don't involve this motor and have been looking over your Subaru swap threads for the last year or so just getting an idea of what that involves. Once I'm done with the 1.8t vanagon swap I'm going to try and tackle this bus with a 2.5L and hopefully really go places outside of Utah Valley! haha

I went to check out the fuel pump and realized I had accidentally un-plugged a wire that the PO had plugged straight to the 15 side of the coil to the FP. I plugged it back in and the FP works fine again running with the ignition on. Took it on a drive and it smokes a bit still, but really not super bad like before. I recon I'll take it on a longer drive and really try to get the rings to settle in. I hesitate adding anything like stop smoke to the oil at this point as I don't want to bandaid this sucker.
'78 Westy Restoration
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is our bus going to ignite!?!?!?! Firemen called.. neighbors mad Reply with quote

Maybe I've missed it in the thread, but is it possible the engine blew a bunch of oil by the rings before you changed them and it's all built up in the exhaust system?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: