Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356C gear shift lever
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: 356C gear shift lever Reply with quote

Hi,
I own a Karmann built SC Coupe which was an Italian delivery car, converted to RHD some years ago by a previous owner.

I'm quite a tall guy, 188cm or roughly 6 foot two. Being RHD the 3-4 shift line is up against my left leg, and combined with the large 420mm standard wheel it gets a bit tight.

My gear shift lever has the big bend rear fore-aft, but has no transverse bend or left/right bend. My question is should there be a bend to the left with the gear shift lever? I'll have to have a look at another when I get a chance, but they are not plentiful around here. I was googling the issue of big guys in a 356 and it was never explicitly stated but I got the impression there should be a bend to the left. My car was in Italy and the USA until the 2000s and a tall guy there may have moved it over to get more room for LHD.

I'm not aware if there is a difference in the factory shift lever between RHD and LHD. The photo shows an aerial view with the lever in 4th gear.

I am getting a smaller diameter steering wheel which will help also, depending on how that is I'd be looking at possibly bending the lever back to the left and/or a short shift kit.

Any help appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 356C gear shift lever Reply with quote

No bend side to side.....fore and aft, as you say, only.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 356C gear shift lever Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I'll just hope the smaller wheel makes the difference.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 356C gear shift lever Reply with quote

Have you tried loosening the hold down bolts just e`nuff to move it straight across to the left side. A small amount at the bottom equals a larger amount at the top.
kneeslider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 356C gear shift lever Reply with quote

If you put the car into 4th gear, then remove the inspection cover on the tunnel in front of the back seat.

You will find the shift rod in there, with a clamp connecting the hockey stick lever to the front nose of the gearbox.

Mark up the existing position of all components with a dab of paint, so if it all goes wrong, you can return it to the original position.

Loosen the clamp connecting the two rods together, then, with the gearbox still selected to 4th gear, and while sitting in the driver's seat, move the gearshift a little to your left to improve the leg room.

Without touching anything else, do up the clamp on the horizontal shift rods under the inspection cover.

Test, and see if it works!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: 356C gear shift lever Reply with quote

I will give that a try. The Mota Lita wheel is turning up tomorrow, about five weeks earlier than expected, plus I bought some new shocks as the old ones were pretty bad, probably from from lack of use.

So I have some tool time ahead of me but hopefully a better car for me at the end of it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: