Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

making a full soft top.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

guys I am making a full soft top.i have read EVERY thread on the subject.i have pvc pipe and fittings.using 1/2'' for now to make the bows with.This is all just for bow PATTERNS.i will use the correct 7/8ths piping later,and adjust for width in piping change..I am using a tarp for top pattern.i bought 1/16th inch soft aluminum 5/8th width roughly 41 1/2 long that tucks into my windshield groove.SO my question is instead of me guessing and redoing the bows several times,does anyone have any bow measurements??.the very back bow I was going to start with 2 feet long and around 49 wide.i know that all bodys differ in width.On my buggy where u would attach the bow on the top edge its 49'' center to other side center.where the "ledge" starts right behind the roll bar.i have taken a lot of info from BL3manx posts and others.i am going for the "manx" top look.slightly slanted in the back.Not straight up and down.to do that I cannot make my rear bow to long.or the back window will be straight up and down.any "manx" bow measurements would be appreciated.i have been taking a lot of pics I will post everything when I am done.materials/prices/pattern measurements etc.thanks guys...Sean...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I'll look forward to seeing this. I need to work out how to do mine.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

spent the day on it yesterday been taking a lot of pics for u guys. ....will post as soon as I got a little more done.made the front aluminum edge,working on my bow patterns(pieces) now.....Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is almost the full top I had made with one bow from SS tube.

Something like this?
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

beautiful buggy and top!.i am trying to do something along those lines, so when I take the sides off the kids still get shade.we will see.i been working on it and ordering materials...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Thanks!

I used orange Sunbrella fabric, doesn't fade and it's pretty water resistant. Found it by the yard on ebay, used on boats, so blue is pretty popular, but there is red, navy blue and green often.

I used just a 10mmx2mm piece of aluminum that slides in and out of the front edge of the top that folds over and goes into the windshield frame slot.

Took it to a sail maker and he had it done in a day or so.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

thanks for the info,that is what I ordered last night black sunbrella marine grade material.the hardest parts been figuring out my bow size,s...I used ebay for all my connectors but have not ordered tubing yet.trying to make a pattern with pvc piping when I get it correct ill order tubing (bow) material..
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

YDBD ,do u know what the width (side to side) is on your bow?...Sean
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I'll go home and measure it.

Kinda winged it with the bending, but + or - an inch or two won't matter.

I used curtain rod holders to fit inside, I'll take some pics of those too.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

YDBD,yes thanks it would help a lot.i like the width of yours relative to your body it is a perfect width.so a general idea would be great.thanks!. Sean...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Where the bend starts:

At the end of the bend:

at the back of the back seat:

at the brackets:

brackets:

Mine is a little less than the roll bar width, but not much. That would give a good pattern to go by.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

YDBD ,thanks a lot!.gave me a great starting point.I just needed that width.thanks for your time!!… Sean
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

My materials came from sailrite.com this morning, Fedexed.It only took 48 hours to get to me from the time I ordered!!. All materials were inexpensive and look great!!.Its going to be nice out the next few days here in MA.i will take pics of progress and material list.Here goes Nothing..I did take that sewing class in 7th grade over 36 years ago!... Shocked Sean....
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

So I started yesterday until a freak thunder shower.I bribed my wife to help me after work with some wine,lol...This is 1/2 inch electrical conduit.The outside diameter is bigger than 1/2 inch because it is pipe, not tubing..Luckily 3/4 inch inner eye ends from sailrite fit perfectly inside the end of the pipe. The jaw slides are 3/4ths inch also.I bought a conduit bender watched a couple youtube videos on bending and got started.I got 1 of the 2 bows done before rain came.I bought 2 lengths of 1/2 conduit ten foot long..I am NOT saying this is how to do this properly, this is just how I am doing it.Proceed at your own risk.. Smile ..I will keep documenting this for anyone interested.MY bow width had to be 49 inches because that's the width between the 2 hold down brackets.The length(height) of the stub ends is up to u.It all depends on if u want the back of the top to go straight up and down,or angled back like a manx top.i am trying to have the back of my top angled a bit.It all depends on how much headroom u want in the rear cargo/seating area.I will trim down bow length according to my taste.i will set material over the top of the bows and see how I like it.adjust length of bow accordingly.

Last edited by 62kellison on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

My wife is holding the bow up high.it will actually be angled back lower about where the top of her head is.I am making it so that someone 5 foot 8 can sit in back and there head will clear. Sean....
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I used 3/4 inch inner eye ends and 3/4 inch jawslides from sailrite.com...NOT 7/8ths...the 3/4 inner eye ends(they go inside the pipe end) and 3/4 inch jaw slides on the outside of pipe, fit the 1/2 inch EMT electrical conduit perfectly....Sean

Last edited by 62kellison on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:03 am; edited 2 times in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:

Thank you for posting this "How-To" . . . VERY COOL!!! Cool

For convenience, here's a link to Sailrite . . . https://www.sailrite.com/How-To-Projects-Guides/Projects-and-Tips/Marine-Projects

Question . . .
Are the black lines on the conduit the layout for the bends . . . and if so, why do the lines appear to be at different heights?
That is . . one line looks to be at the start of the bend while the other line seems to be in the actual bend.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

yes the lines are for the bends.i will post the youtube links that is short and easy to understand on how to mark the sides and where to put it on the bender.i am horrible at geometry and bends.but this bender with this video makes it very easy to understand.u basically mark the length u want(for the down part of the U) then minus 5 inches for the bend. make another line..,slide the bender on to the "stub end" mark on the bender and bend it.Then measure the outside leg u just made across however wide u want it and put a mark.,slide the bender on again and match that line up to the "star mark" on the bender,and bend again.The video explains it well.and u get a sheet of instructions with bender.my instructions suck.lol.basically the line u make for your length u then minus 5 inches and mark it and bend it there..https://youtu.be/1vTqgtKAAS0
https://youtu.be/uoSi45ovIYs these r the 2 videos I learned with.took me 5 mins to make my bends.the bender is 25 bucks at home depot.the 1/2 emt tubing in 10 foot lengths is 10 bucks apiece.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I just did more.i will keep posting every step.and I will post the exact material list I bought.everything together from sailrite.com was about 219 bucks!!..plus 25 for bender and 20 for pipe.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: