Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

making a full soft top.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

WHEW!!, It fits Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks professional to me! Cool
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

57BLITZ ,my wife thanks you.we did have a couple spots that the seam(stitching) moved a little.It was very difficult to get all this bulky giant amount of material under the arm of the sowing machine.we started sowing from the back so the major amount of material had to go under the closed end of the machine.As u can see all the wrinkles in the vinyl from Stuffing it all under the arm of machine.She has done small pillow projects in her spare time,but never anything like this.If I ever do it again I would use sunbrella material(easier to fold etc),Or a machine with a longer Arm..The wrinkles I assume will fall out as soon as its warm out.Thanks Sean...

Last edited by 62kellison on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

ANYONE have any ideas or advice on where to start tightening things up?.Should I trim some off front pull it as tight as I can (install windshield bar)then move to back and pull tight?(and install snaps).Or start at sides pull the 2 sides down tight behind doors first?.Ure guess is as good as mine where to start.I don't have the answers, this is all trial by fire.lol,Thanks Sean...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Here is an additional drawing which shows how the flexible strip wrapped inside a fabric cuff on the front of a soft top would be turned under and installed in the slot on the front of the windshield frame.

It doesn't say on the upper drawing but the distance between the two rows of stitching should be about 1/4".

A 1/16" soft aluminum strip, 5/8" wide and 41 1/2" long, sewn inside a folded over fabric "cuff" works perfectly. Round the ends and smooth the edges. The strip should be more bendable than flexible, it makes it easier to install if it holds the shape of the slot with the downward curve at both ends. I think most hardware stores have 1/16" by 3/4" strips. I clamped it to a table with a straight edged piece of steel along the line I wanted and cut it to width. The piece that goes into the slot on the front of the frame needs to be both deep enough, tight enough and stiff enough that it won't be "rolled' out of the slot at speed and heavy buffeting. I also had a bikini top with just a plastic strip sewn on the front. I knew it was a real loose fit so I tried to shim it. After it blew loose on the freeway, I took it to an upholstery shop, removed the plastic strip and I had a folded over fabric lip with a metal strip inside sewn on, just like my full convertible top. Having a top blow loose on a freeway can cause an accident, don't mess around with something like that.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

This is a post I followed to do the front of my top(borrowed)...Thanks Sean...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Does a pic really add 20 pounds to u? Shocked .lol...front edge done.the white basting tape is where the top will be sown to(the outside edge of tape).thats 1/4 inch between stichings….Sean...

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Once sown to outside edge of tape,i flip the flexible strip under and install in windshield....By the way my aluminum strip is not 1/16th thick.all I could get was I think 1/4 inch thick.but I cut it with a cutting wheel(PAIN IN THE ASS!!!) from 3/4 inch wide down to 5/8ths inch wide as recommended by BL3Manx.My strip does slide in and out the windshield groove easily even though its 1/4 inch thick.other than the thickness, I followed BL3Manx post...thanks!! Sean....
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Sorry guys havnt posted in a while.Weather and work been in the way.Anyways I have attached the metal edge to the front of the top it installs into the windshield nicely.I also added another stich(flat felled seam) to the diagonal seam u see on my top.we had just a simple stich on it and that wasn't going to work.we should of done that before we sowed the sides to the main top.You will see the new corrected seam in future pics.It was nearly impossible to finish the seam correctly now that the sides r attached to the center top piece!!.Next step is to double up all my edges and finish edges for snaps and zippers,install windows,And some sort of sleeves? for the bows....Sean...I am wondering where to put sleeves, front or back Bow? or both Bows in a sleeve?.Anyone??

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

this seam was nearly impossible to correct and turn it into flat felled seam,since it was already sowed to the top piece.My mistake.it would of ripped apart as a simple stiched seam.i will post a pic of new seam soon...Sean...
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll get there in the end. Be strong.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Cammie ,thanks for the encouragement lol.I have learned a lot making this top.Alot more to it than it looks.i WILL have a decent enough functional top when I am done.We have had constant rain and wind for 2 months now that has slowed this project down.I should have been done already.My rented garage is in a flood zone,but it will get done!.I do know 1 thing,my 2nd top will be flawless.I will have learned from all my mistakes.....Snaps and rear window today I hope!!!...Thanx.Sean...
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Damn rain. Without it making a roof would be so much easier...but of course you wouldn't really need one then Very Happy
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I finally got a clear day after weeks/months of rain!!..almost done.its not perfect and I got to make a couple adjustments to it,(maybe raise the front bar some more)install rear window and finish the doors. It works and we went for a test drive with the kids today.I am happy with it.It wont win any beauty awards but its functional and I learned a great deal.Best of all I did it from scratch without any sewing or upholstery knowledge for around $350 bucks.....Sean

mtbuicknut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Your top looks dang great! I see that you have cabin heat, what did you use to go from the boxes to the buggy?
Again great job on the top.
Thanks Rick
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Well done. Be proud. An ambitious project and you pulled it off.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Cammie,thank you.it was a very hard task for me.I love mechanics and can take apart any motor,BUT this was a whole new thing to me.I will say my 2nd top will be even nicer now that I been thru it all.BUT that wont be for awhile.lol.Doors and windows are next!!..
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

mtbuicknut ,rick,this is what I used for heat...….https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709541
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

Rick,Its under "I added heat to my dune buggy"...sean
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: making a full soft top. Reply with quote

I have installed a rear window and have the zippers installed to the soft top for the top of the doors.The doors are almost completed!!...Sean..

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: