Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

I'm sick of people making jokes about tetanus when they see the interior of my car.
I want to paint my interior. It has old glue and several different paints from over the years.

This would be an interim interior until I get the car painted, replace the rubber, replace the rear glass and install the real headliner I already have.

There are several types of glue, some comes off with solvent, some with soap and water and some only sands off. The stuff that sands off doesn't come off with solvent, it just gets tacky and then won't sand.

I got most of the glue off, but I was hoping to find a primer that would just stick to everything.

At first I was thinking of doing tan truck bed liner.
But then I realized that some high build primer and the signal orange base coat would be better with minimal more work.

Whats the best mainstream primer to use?

What about eastwood high build self etching primer?

Or would Rusto self etching primer with a second coat of high build be just as good?

Last edited by chrisarnt on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

It’s only gonna look as good as the prepped surface... I’d strip all of the old stuff off, sand it all down, clean it, prep it and then apply the primer/paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
It’s only gonna look as good as the prepped surface... I’d strip all of the old stuff off, sand it all down, clean it, prep it and then apply the primer/paint.

I know I know.

Carpal tunnel is a bitch.

I already spent 5 hours today. There are several types of glue, some comes off with solvent, some with soap and water and some only sands off. The stuff that sands off doesn't come off with solvent, it just gets tacky and then won't sand.
This would be an interim interior until I get the car painted, replace the rubber, replace the rear glass and install the real headliner I already have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

What about this stuff? then some high build?
https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-spray-primer-clear-11-oz-251572/i/G3548291/#specifications
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

I've used spray oven cleaner on the glue on the metal parts and it removes it well. Try a small patch and see if it helps.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I've used spray oven cleaner on the glue on the metal parts and it removes it well. Try a small patch and see if it helps.

I’ll give it a try, but I can’t imagine it working better than acetone.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

The cheap oven cleaner will remove most stuff, I use it sometimes to clean old engines and sheet metal prior to tear downs. You may try the ole aircraft paint stripper... it will remove material down to the bare metal... then you can clean/sand/clean/prime/paint.... yeah, none of this work is easy or fun.... just gotta get comfortable with being uncomfortable... the reward will be great though, once you get it done.
I can sympathize with the hand pain.... I recently broke my 4th metacarpal on my dominate hand clean in half, now I have a plate and 7 screws holding it together...Its been almost 3 months and I’m just now starting to be able to use my hand for very minor things... shoe tieing, feeding myself.... haven’t been able to do any dubbing at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
The cheap oven cleaner will remove most stuff, I use it sometimes to clean old engines and sheet metal prior to tear downs. You may try the ole aircraft paint stripper... it will remove material down to the bare metal... then you can clean/sand/clean/prime/paint.... yeah, none of this work is easy or fun.... just gotta get comfortable with being uncomfortable... the reward will be great though, once you get it done.
I can sympathize with the hand pain.... I recently broke my 4th metacarpal on my dominate hand clean in half, now I have a plate and 7 screws holding it together...Its been almost 3 months and I’m just now starting to be able to use my hand for very minor things... shoe tieing, feeding myself.... haven’t been able to do any dubbing at all.

That sucks about your hand. Stay off the prescription pain killers!

Flax seed oil has inflammatory properties as well as it helps the body process ibuprofen and alieve.

The problem I see with the oven cleaner is that it may soak into one type of adhesive (there are several types on there) and make my primer not stick. But I'll give it a shot.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

Some of the glue, if it’s dry/crusty enough maybe use a rotary tool with a wire wheel...I’d probably use the aircraft stripper before I’d use oven cleaner...the oven cleaner is best on oily/greasy stuff... it will eat paint but wouldn’t be my first choice for what you’re doing.

Yeah, no pills for me... that shit is a big problem in our society along with other pharmaceuticals... I choose to be all natural.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

Wire wheel on a grinder will get everything off. Glue, seam sealer, tarboard residue, paint, rust ... everything.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare interior. Old glue, different old paints. What's primer? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Wire wheel on a grinder will get everything off. Glue, seam sealer, tarboard residue, paint, rust ... everything.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't want to remove the factory primer and paint.

It's lasted 47 years. I can't imagine that the stuff I put on will last that long.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: