Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ARB fridge plug in adapter?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

I'm dragging my feet on installing my AUX system in my 85 Westy, and would like to still be able to use my new ARB 50qt. fridge and my 100aH battery!

The ARB fridge comes with a 110 plug and cig. lighter plug.

Just wondering if I can safely use these cheapy 16 gauge wire alligator clips (on my AUX battery), and simply plug in the fridge using the cig. outlet from it? Or, should I incorporate an inline fuse somewhere? Or, make a better temporary usage connection with larger gauge wiring/alligator clips/inline fuse/and cig lighter outlet?

Or, better yet, can I ground the negative side of the AUX battery, hook up battery up to my inverter, and then just plug the fridge into the inverter?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated? I don't want to blow up my new fridge!

Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

If you don't plan to use the fridge in other vehicles, none of the above: Make note of the + and - wires, cut the 12V plug off, and wire direct to the battery via a 15A fuse (inline fuse, or Blue Seas-type of fuse panel). This is the route I took.

I don't trust alligator clamps in a moving vehicle. If I were planning to use the fridge in other vehicles, I'd cut the clamps off the adapter and, again, connect the wires direct to the battery (I think there's a fuse inside the 12V plug).

You definitely don't want to use an inverter... quite inefficient use of power.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

If you just want a temporary set up, you can use the cable above and just set the battery next to the fridge. TEMPORARY ONLY. Fully charge the battery before you leave and see how long it lasts. worth a shot.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't plan to use the fridge in other vehicles, none of the above: Make note of the + and - wires, cut the 12V plug off, and wire direct to the battery via a 15A fuse (inline fuse, or Blue Seas-type of fuse panel). This is the route I took.

I don't trust alligator clamps in a moving vehicle. If I were planning to use the fridge in other vehicles, I'd cut the clamps off the adapter and, again, connect the wires direct to the battery (I think there's a fuse inside the 12V plug).

You definitely don't want to use an inverter... quite inefficient use of power.

Thanks for the response and info.! So, the ARB fridge comes with two power cords, the 110V plug in and the Cig lighter plug in. They appear to be 16 gauge wires. As much as I hate to butcher/sacrifice one of them, that is what you are saying I need to do correct? Like cut off either the 110 plug or cig. plug, and connect a 15A inline fuse there, then connect new leads from there to the battery posts directly? If so, is 16 gauge wire enough? And, will traditional battery post connectors work for smaller wires? Obviously, I'm confused and nervous about cutting the power cords that came with the fridge for normal operations. Thanks again!
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

Quote:
If you just want a temporary set up, you can use the cable above and just set the battery next to the fridge. TEMPORARY ONLY. Fully charge the battery before you leave and see how long it lasts. worth a shot.

I've done this running just my fan and charging my phone, but am concerned about doing it with my new $800 ARB fridge! I am wondering if I need larger gauge wires, an inline fuse, and better connectors? Thanks!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

gratefulbuses wrote:
Quote:

I've done this running just my fan and charging my phone, but am concerned about doing it with my new $800 ARB fridge! I am wondering if I need larger gauge wires, an inline fuse, and better connectors? Thanks!

The ARB is only a couple amps load and those leads are very short. You can run a temporary set up with it without problem. If it was a 25' cord, no, but at that length it's fine.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

gratefulbuses wrote:
As much as I hate to butcher/sacrifice one of them, that is what you are saying I need to do correct? Like cut off either the 110 plug or cig. plug, and connect a 15A inline fuse there, then connect new leads from there to the battery posts directly? If so, is 16 gauge wire enough? And, will traditional battery post connectors work for smaller wires? Obviously, I'm confused and nervous about cutting the power cords that came with the fridge for normal operations. Thanks again!

Leave the 110 alone. Wink

If you go the hard-wire route like a lot of us have done, you'll cut the plug off the 12V cord and attach the wires to the battery via a 15A fuse. How you attach the wires to the battery depends on what type of posts your battery has.

Wire size, I don't recall what ARB stipulates and I hard-wired mine via a Blue Seas auxiliary fuse panel, thus no additional wires needed for the fridge-side of the wiring.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

The ARB is very sensitive to voltage and current- if you don't provide a solid enough connection at the battery using these alligator clips it won't work.

I've had some real delightful experiences with this finickyness before I figured out that it needs good, strong connections.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

OK, Thanks for the info/feedback! This is motivating me to focus on finishing up my whole AUX system now, a larger puzzle of course.

However, Let's finish the subject matter for the peace of mind here.

I drew up two options, both involve having to make a direct connection wire with a cigerette outlet to plug the ARB fridge into. Those ARB power cords are $28 a piece, so I'd rather not butcher them up, and use them how they were intended.
If option #1 will work, this would allow me to have more of a portable system for my other vehicles too!

Will both options work? Are they correct circuits? Are they safe for the ARB fridge?

Thanks for all the help!

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

So I too thought about using the fridge in another vehicle. Ideally, both options would work.

Option 1 is what I have. I have the wiring coming from underneath the stock fridge, and tied the socket around the passenger seat belt. Randomly when it gets hit - it will drop connection. I have to twist the male 12v adapter inside the female socket. This is super annoying. Maybe it was a cheap outlet - but I typically do research and buy quality parts. Where would you put this said socket at? Cause I didn't mount mine yet.

Option 2 is best option. I plan on doing this - just investing in another 12v cable in case I do want to take it portable.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

If keeping the ARB "ciggy plug", seriously consider a larger gauge connector from the battery.

FWIW: My choice for our new Dometic 12v fridge...about 14AWG, much better than most...(!!!) :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CT5CSN/ref=o...8&psc=

Add a couple good solid ring connectors, well crimped, will bolt right to your battery & be good
for years & years...

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Dave! I was going to piece one together, but that's a great deal on a single outlet!

I am now thinking about a splitter adapter (two cigerette lighter outlets) to run a fan or charge my phone too! But, I can't find one that isn't better than 16 awg!? Considering that the ARB fridge power cords are 16 awg., wouldn't 16 awg. be sufficient enough for the full connection to the battery? Of course, I know that the Battery ground should be 4 awg.

Shagginwagon83, this is just a temporary or a portable solution to running my ARB fridge. So, I don't know where the wires are going just yet.

Thanks!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB fridge plug in adapter? Reply with quote

FWIW, I have 2 of those connectors parallel wired to my aux battery, 1 for the fridge,
other for charging phones, iPad, USB fan, etc, etc... Works great! Cool

- Dave

PS: 30A spec on that plug seems generous, but certainly good for at least 15A anyway...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: