Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

I have a temp sender and gauge I would like to install but i have no idea how wire(s) from the sender go to the gauge. As you can see, they are numbered 1-4.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there some way I can use a meter and hot water to see what's happening? Like drop the sender in hot water and meter the pigtail to see what it is sending?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Use an Ohm meter and measure between the 2 green wires, write it down.
Then measure between the 2 purple wires, write it down.

Do it at room temperature.

What did you get?

Mark
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Use an Ohm meter and measure between the 2 green wires, write it down.
Then measure between the 2 purple wires, write it down.

Do it at room temperature.

On what scale? Resistance?

Green: 1200
Purple: 717

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

By those numbers the green wires would be for the Temp2 to fuel injection and the purple wires would be for the temp gauge.

Was the sender stone cold or had you tried heating it already?

Mark
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
By those numbers the green wires would be for the Temp2 to fuel injection and the purple wires would be for the temp gauge.

I would have expected the green reading to be slightly more than that. Was the sender stone cold or had you tried heating it already?

You got me. I had tried heating it. I'll let it sit. You think the purple pair is the one? If I let it sit, meter, then heat again, i should see different values?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

What engine is that from or for?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

MkIII Jetta in my van…I have the stock idiot lights for temp but I feel the need more information. Boilovers are no fun, especially 100 miles from cell service/AAA.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

MkIII Jetta in my van…I have the stock idiot lights for temp but I feel the need more information. Boilovers are no fun, especially 100 miles from cell service/AAA.

Ok thanks. Had a quick look in my A3 Bentley but didn't see that wire colour combo/pin out.

Are those replacement (repair) wires?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Ok thanks. Had a quick look in my A3 Bentley but didn't see that wire colour combo/pin out.

It's a whole new sender and pigtail/connector.

Now that Mark has ID'ed the wires, what connects to the signal wire? The gauge has a signal terminal for one spade connector.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

It's a whole new sender and pigtail/connector.

Now that Mark has ID'ed the wires, what connects to the signal wire? The gauge has a signal terminal for one spade connector.

ok. Maybe something like this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CITALL-New-4-Pin-C...66553.html

I thought all ABA's had the same pin out but for the Cabrio ABA's I see:

of 3/4, 3 is to ECU 53
of 1/2, 1 is to gauge

the other two are to ground.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

ok. Maybe something like this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CITALL-New-4-Pin-C...66553.html

I thought all ABA's had the same pin out but for the Cabrio ABA's I see:

of 3/4, 3 is to ECU 53
of 1/2, 1 is to gauge

the other two are to ground.

Neil.

That's what I was looking for. Now for the business of running the wire from here to there.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Marks method sure made sense and is worth remembering.

Out of curiosity, is the wiring harness in question from a Cabrio?

This is hair splitting but the A3 Bentley diagrams show somewhat specific points where the various wiring harness grounds connect. How crucial ground wire length, location is, I don't really know. Anyhow....

The Golf/Jetta ABA ECU temp sensor (Temp2) ground connects via a wire in the engine harness to the engine block. For the Cabrio, Bentley pages 97-442 and 97-508 show the ECU temp sensor ground (G62) connecting to 220 'engine compartment wiring harness' so I bet it has the same ground route and connection (edit) as the Golf/Jetta ABA. To my mind, the quality of ground for the ECU temp sensor is more important than the ground for the temp gauge sensor.

I don't know if this is intended to somehow ground the ignition coil body or if it's used to supply ground from the vehicle body to the engine but on the Mk3 donor i got my wiring harnesses from, there was a ~ 1/2" wide ground strap between a securing bolt at ignition coil and engine. I believe that strap is OE.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: pinout/wiring help for inline 4 (Jetta) temp sender Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Marks method sure made sense and is worth remembering.

Out of curiosity, is the wiring harness in question from a Cabrio?

No, it's from China… /rimshot

Mark has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff. I never would have guessed it was that easy to figure out.

This sensor plugs into a housing where the coolant returns from the pressure tank: there are two sockets, one for the existing idiot light sensor and an empty one I'll use for this.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

This is hair splitting but the A3 Bentley diagrams show somewhat specific points where the various wiring harness grounds connect. How crucial ground wire length, location is, I don't really know. Anyhow....

The Golf/Jetta ABA ECU temp sensor (Temp2) ground connects via a wire in the engine harness to the engine block. For the Cabrio, Bentley pages 97-442 and 97-508 show the ECU temp sensor ground (G62) connecting to 220 'engine compartment wiring harness' so I bet it has the same ground route and connection. To my mind, the quality of ground for the ECU temp sensor is more important than the ground for the temp gauge sensor.

I don't know if this is intended to somehow ground the ignition coil body or if it's used to supply ground from the vehicle body to the engine but on the Mk3 donor i got my wiring harnesses from, there was a ~ 1/2" wide ground strap between a securing bolt at ignition coil and engine. I believe that strap is OE.

Neil.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: