Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 sliding door track cover stuck
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I am trying to replace the nylon runner for my sliding door. According to ratwell and other sources you just undo the two screws and put some wood under it and smack it. I tried this with no luck. Another thread I read said to spray some penetrating lubricant along the top of the cover and wiggle it back and fourth and up and down. I have done that with some luck. It has freed up along the center of the track, but the back end is still stuck. Does anyone have some insight into how to get this off?

Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

Sharpen the end of a ~2' long peice of 1x3 or 1x4 into a sharp chisel edge, then place that edge under the cover so it's against the lip where it meets the window, right on the fold line where the curve ends and the seal starts. Then bash upwards on the board with a suitable heavy object being careful not to hit the side of the bus too, if you are a really bad aim lean a sheet of plywood against the side of the bus first.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sharpen the end of a ~2' long peice of 1x3 or 1x4 into a sharp chisel edge, then place that edge under the cover so it's against the lip where it meets the window, right on the fold line where the curve ends and the seal starts. Then bash upwards on the board with a suitable heavy object being careful not to hit the side of the bus too, if you are a really bad aim lean a sheet of plywood against the side of the bus first.

Is the sharpening so the wood only pushes on the track cover and does not touch the wall of the bus?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

Quintanamobay wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Is the sharpening so the wood only pushes on the track cover and does not touch the wall of the bus?

Yes, well mostly.... it's to concentrate the hits directly on the underside of the top edge of the cover at it's strongest point, a flat board might make outie dents in the curved cover and the flex is lost energy, if you can hit upwards right where it turns 90* down you are pulling the downward facing lip up out of the slot it's stuck in. Put the board up there and slide it against the curved part until it stops at the body, that way you know you are hitting nothing but cover and not catching the groove the cover slides down into.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

Do not forget that there are bodgers like myself who use PU sealant/glue on the track so you have to start by cutting the sealant with a sharp knife......

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

Early or late model, the earlies had a screw on the right side near the mechanism that tightened/released the squigly bar that applied tension to hold the cover in place. Later bays did not use it, only the black plastic strip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

late ones do not have the strip that tightens. It is just the fasteners are both ends. There is a spot on the track where it drops. Two guys can pull the door off with the cover still on if one person holds the front end and keeps it level while the other person moves the lever so the nylon slide drops into that notch designed to allow the door to come off with the cover still on. Don't so it by yourself, especially with the window in. The awkwardness and the weight will put it and you on the ground.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

My bad, just noticed the posting lists 78,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
My bad, just noticed the posting lists 78,

when I began to restore my 1977 I was puzzled when I started to look for that strip that had existed on the 1971. One thing that hit me too was that on late bays - they almost all have paint peeled then rusted on the cover while earlier bays are not as prone to do that.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
One thing that hit me too was that on late bays - they almost all have paint peeled then rusted on the cover while earlier bays are not as prone to do that.

Earlier bays had three coats of enamel baked and color-sanded between each one. Late bays were herded through the paint booth once, and as quickly as possible.
Ach . . .
Colin
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 sliding door track cover stuck Reply with quote

All track covers rust faster, the nose grilles do too, I suspect they rode through the paint booth on the cargo floor or somewhere inside the bus and missed one or two steps in the paint process.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: