Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Explanation of the Price Bubble
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalLowLife209
Mr. Saran Wrap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

Can anyone please explain to me the tremendous increase of price on anything with the Porsche badge? I can’t even begin to believe some of the prices of these cars! Astronomical increase! Will the bubble ever burst? People who are long time true enthusiast that bought in early on these fantastic cars must be really stoked or frustrated because their favorite hobby has either drained their bank account or added a few extra 000’s to the amount.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

baby boomers. All of their lives they wanted a "PORSH" and now they have some extra money saved. Having no idea of the market and with only so many available, and with all of the auctions out there, they have bid the prices up astronomically. This carries over from 356 to 911 to 912 to 914. THEN even drags in 944 928. The market will cool in ten years or less as they get older
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

The market has actually softened a bit too. Original paint cars in excellent original condition are still skyrocking. The rest are more easily attainable.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

You have to realize the market for these cars is WORLD WIDE and when we think the price is too high they grab them and parts too as they are worth so much over there the shipping is nothing compared to the value and prestige of driving one.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

NorCalLowLife209 wrote:
Can anyone please explain to me the tremendous increase of price on anything with the Porsche badge? I can’t even begin to believe some of the prices of these cars! Astronomical increase! Will the bubble ever burst? People who are long time true enthusiast that bought in early on these fantastic cars must be really stoked or frustrated because their favorite hobby has either drained their bank account or added a few extra 000’s to the amount.

It seems to have a ripple effect that is influencing Porsche values beyond just the air-cooled cars.

I ordered mine because I wanted to get one of the last normally-aspirated flat-6 powered non-GT cars. It's not appreciating, but it seems to be holding it's value remarkably well for a new Porsche- the book value has gone down less than $15,000 since I took delivery in January of 2016.

It's lack of depreciation, when combined with the basically free money I purchased it with (the current inflation rate is at least as high as my interest rate), is making it one of the least expensive vehicles to purchase, that I've ever had.

I have no doubt that when it's time to order my next new one, that I'll have no trouble getting my money back out of this one. I wish I could justify ordering a new GT3 RS (and I wish we could get the Club Sport package here in the U.S.). They actually appear to be appreciating, but I need something I can drive every day, and I really do enjoy putting the top down when it's sunny out.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

Here's one take on it: https://www.pca.org/news/2017-05-04/whats-driving-entry-level-air-cooled-porsche-market
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

My 2 cents:
It looks like the market for 912's has hit the ceiling, I notice a lot of 912's in Europe for sale for a longer period of time, indicating that people do not want to pay the level of the full asking prices any more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Explanation of the Price Bubble Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
My 2 cents:
It looks like the market for 912's has hit the ceiling, I notice a lot of 912's in Europe for sale for a longer period of time, indicating that people do not want to pay the level of the full asking prices any more.

as long as the new ones keep going up the classic ones will as well, wait until the spring!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: