Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

I just bought a '99 with a VR6 12V. There are leaks from the heater valve(new one on the way), and a big leak from the thermostat housing.

I've seen some kits from varous vendors with the housing, o-rings and other parts - with plastic or ECS has one with an aluminum pipe - what is the recommendation?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

I bought a much cheaper aluminum "crack-pipe" for my 24v @ Autohaus AZ, but they don't appear to have one for the 12v. You'll definitely want to replace the tee with the two large and one small end. AFAIK, these can only be replaced as a set with the hoses from VAG, but there are alternatives available for the Mini and I bought a generic aftermarket unit locally from FLAPS.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I bought a much cheaper aluminum "crack-pipe" for my 24v @ Autohaus AZ, but they don't appear to have one for the 12v. You'll definitely want to replace the tee with the two large and one small end. AFAIK, these can only be replaced as a set with the hoses from VAG, but there are alternatives available for the Mini and I bought a generic aftermarket unit locally from FLAPS.

Thanks, Casey
ECS does show a kit with the aluminum "crack pipe" for the 12V, but what I wonder is if the housings and "T's" are still plastic, it may not last any longer than the cheaper kits with a plastic straight pipe, as the straight pipe was not what failed first.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

I would suggest the aluminum "crack pipe". I don't know where ECS is sourcing their thermostat housings from (I have not used their housings), but after a rash of crappy aftermarket thermostat housings, I would suggest getting them straight from the dealer. The aftermarket ones have horrible deficiencies in wall thickness (Perhaps due to core shift in their molding process) & subpar quality plastic composition.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

I opted for a VAG thermostat housing on my van. I'm currently assembling a 12v engine for my neighbor's Corrado and he sourced a Uro housing. It's made of the same type and composition plastic as the VAG unit, but the metal stiffening tubes are thinner. My 24v housing cracked right next to one of those stiffeners, so I suspect this may not hold up well over time. My original housing lasted for 150k, which ain't all that bad for service life.

y u rune klassik?
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

Looks like the ECS kit uses Mahle, which I've found to be hit and miss. The Uro brand, ususually the cheapest, appears to have a bad reputation in this application. Hard to know which German vendor makes the VW one, but it's tough to know, as all of them use China now, and many don't oversee the quality.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

I assume you meant Meyle*. Mahle is generally considered to be some of the highest quality stuff on the market. I mostly avoid Uro stuff like the plague, especially their plastics and rubber. Doesn't ECS offer the VAG version of the housing? I think that's where I bought mine...but again, that was for a 24v.

*I mislabeled that Corrado housing; it's a Meyle brand, and not Uro.

y u rune klassik?
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I assume you meant Meyle*. Mahle is generally considered to be some of the highest quality stuff on the market. I mostly avoid Uro stuff like the plague, especially their plastics and rubber. Doesn't ECS offer the VAG version of the housing? I think that's where I bought mine...but again, that was for a 24v.

*I mislabeled that Corrado housing; it's a Meyle brand, and not Uro.

My bad - Meyle. Interestingly, their second aluminum pipe kit, kit, not assembled by ECS, uses Uro.

Yeah, ECS does sell individual components with OEM,. If getting OEM, though, I usually use a couple of dealers that do online for 20-30% off. Better prices.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know if ite thermostat any housing can be replaced without moving the radiator/front end? I don't have the Bentley yet, and don't want to spend more time trying a shortcut than not.
JFBx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

Look into the Eurowise kit and see if it suits you. If it does, I have a brand new aluminum housing kit for the 12V engine. (The PO included it in the sale but purchased the incorrect one. My van is 24V. PM me if interested.)

https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/ew1350.htm

--jb
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling system leaks - thermostat housing - what else? Reply with quote

JFBx wrote:
Look into the Eurowise kit and see if it suits you. If it does, I have a brand new aluminum housing kit for the 12V engine. (The PO included it in the sale but purchased the incorrect one. My van is 24V. PM me if interested.)

https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/ew1350.htm

--jb

I already have parts: what I’m now asking is easiest way to install. Looking underneath, it “looks like” I can get the thermostat housing OK.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: