Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket notched spring plates please.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

Last week I bought Sxuxrxf's build described in a build thread below titled "Not another Class 11 (style)...". It's a great thread for anyone wanting to build a Class 11 style or a baja.

Sxuxrxf's build had notched spring plates and quite a bit of lift. The next owner removed the notched plates and reindexed so now the spring plates are sitting on the stops. Zero upward travel.

I was planning on notching the spring plates but perhaps there's an aftermarket solution. What's out there?

It has Type 4 CVs which will allow up to 22* vs the Type 1 CVs only good to 12*, which it sits at right now with the plates on the stops. It also has dual spring plates and newer 27mm torsion bars both of which I believe Sxuxrxf added.

Also, I keep hearing 3x3's but don't have a clue what they are. Please explain.

But mainly I'm wondering about aftermarket notched spring plates, and who sells them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

3x3 are trailing arms that are 3"longer x 3" wider. These cannot be used if you're planning on retaining the class 11 look.

You're best bet is to source a set of 1969/70 Beetle spring plates & retainers, they are doubled up so you can notch the inner fairly aggressively without as much of a problem of the plates breaking.

Never mind, just notch the plates that are on it.

I removed the spring plate covers, & pried the spring plate off the stop & determined where I wanted the upper travel limit (which was the maximum travel of the longer shock that I got.) scribed a line on the back of the spring plate & drilled a hole in the back of the inner plate where the scribed lines met. Then I used a die grinder to cut the inner plate so that it allowed more travel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

I would notch what you got. I have old SAW adjustables that I have notched about an inch

Just check your travel an movement on you cv’s and shocks. I set my spring plates so they stopped about a 1/4 plus inches before the cv would bind. Then I selected shocks that had a bit more travel in each direction beyond the hard suspension stops.

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

If you want to do the "dual plate, inner plate notch" thing as shown above, there's some spring plates on the Classifieds.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2022785

I mention that specifically because I've bought some well-loved parts from Revmasta/Paul and he was very honest about the condition in all 3 cases (Wright Combo Spindles needing love, Wright Rack and Pinion with broken mount stud, Saco Magnum rack)
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

Dual spring plates are ideal for notching. Just notch the inner plate. No sharp corners. Make a nice radius. When all is said and done, it will still be stronger than a regular single spring plate. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
I would notch what you got. I have old SAW adjustables that I have notched about an inch

Just check your travel an movement on you cv’s and shocks. I set my spring plates so they stopped about a 1/4 plus inches before the cv would bind. Then I selected shocks that had a bit more travel in each direction beyond the hard suspension stops.

How does that dual shock setup work for you?
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:

ha i thought somebody might see that. That's just a mock up for moving my shocks . Another project i'll probably never get around to.
I am using those shocks, bilstein 5165 , it is a shock and reservoir and they are really nice ride. Finding a shock to fit a longer travel suspension AND stock shock locations was not trivial. It was very hard to find available shocks with the right travel and that fit in between the mounts. i barely have an extra 3/8 travel on the shocks before i hit the stops and because one side of my car is different for some reason it didn't have extra travel and was bottoming out. I had only measured one side travel when i determined the shock i needed. I have since replaced one of my trailing arms and changed the location of the lower bolt.
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

Dirtkeeper

It looks like your shocks have 10-11" of travel.
Did you say that is using the stock mounts?
My shocks only have 6" of travel, but are only using 2.5" since the spring plates are on the stops. Apparently the stock shock was a lot shorter because my 6" travel shocks would fully collapse before the suspension bottomed on the rubber jounce stops.

It looks like I could go a little longer than 6" of travel.

I will go ahead and notch the dual spring plates.

Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:

ha i thought somebody might see that. That's just a mock up for moving my shocks . Another project i'll probably never get around to.
I am using those shocks, bilstein 5165 , it is a shock and reservoir and they are really nice ride. Finding a shock to fit a longer travel suspension AND stock shock locations was not trivial. It was very hard to find available shocks with the right travel and that fit in between the mounts. i barely have an extra 3/8 travel on the shocks before i hit the stops and because one side of my car is different for some reason it didn't have extra travel and was bottoming out. I had only measured one side travel when i determined the shock i needed. I have since replaced one of my trailing arms and changed the location of the lower bolt.

Did you see the fox shocks? The upper mount is part way down the actually shock body, provides more travel since the bottom of the body sits higher. Only downfalls are price and you have to cut a hole for the top of the shock to clear.
https://goo.gl/images/svreeJ
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:

Did you see the fox shocks? The upper mount is part way down the actually shock body, provides more travel since the bottom of the body sits higher. Only downfalls are price and you have to cut a hole for the top of the shock to clear.

I’m not sure if I ran across those when I was looking. But even those have 6 to 6.5 “ travel , except the one model has 9 “ . With the empi type 2 race cv’s I have just about 6” + travel so I was looking for a shock that had a little more travel, but when the travel of the shock is so close to the travel of the suspension it becomes critical that the shock is position exactly to be capable of using all of the travel. In my case the shocks I got just worked with just a little extra at the end of travel in each direction. But then again the other side of my car had the same travel but because of something bent or slightly different in the geometry the positioning of the shock mounts was just enough to kill the 3/8 “ extra I had of shock travel on the other side and I found it bottoming out on the shock, and have since fixed. I really wanted something with 8” travel to give me breathing room on each end of the cycle but could find nothing that would fit. Possible the 9” travel fox shock may have worked.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Vanillagurilla wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:

I’m not sure if I ran across those when I was looking. But even those have 6 to 6.5 “ travel , except the one model has 9 “ . With the empi type 2 race cv’s I have just about 6” + travel so I was looking for a shock that had a little more travel, but when the travel of the shock is so close to the travel of the suspension it becomes critical that the shock is position exactly to be capable of using all of the travel. In my case the shocks I got just worked with just a little extra at the end of travel in each direction. But then again the other side of my car had the same travel but because of something bent or slightly different in the geometry the positioning of the shock mounts was just enough to kill the 3/8 “ extra I had of shock travel on the other side and I found it bottoming out on the shock, and have since fixed. I really wanted something with 8” travel to give me breathing room on each end of the cycle but could find nothing that would fit. Possible the 9” travel fox shock may have worked.

More travel will be a longer shock body and there for wont work in the stock mounts. But since the shock is mounted forward of the axle you should be able to get a bit more travel at the wheel then the shock travel but not much. Do you have a cage?
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket notched spring plates please. Reply with quote

VanillaGurilla said

"More travel will be a longer shock body and there for wont work in the stock mounts. But since the shock is mounted forward of the axle you should be able to get a bit more travel at the wheel then the shock travel but not much."

My .02

A rough measurement from the torsion bar to where the shock crosses the swing plate is ~300mm, and from the torsion bar to the axle is ~400 cm, so by my 3rd grade math, a 6" travel shock should translate to about 8" of travel at the wheel. That doesn't sound like much to me but when you think of it in terms of wheel travel compared to the other side it sounds like a lot. Another question that comes to mind is whether there should be equal up and down. One post I saw said that the spring plate should be about 1/4 " off of the stop, which would allow for very little up travel, or extension.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: