Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this beetle saveable?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Is this beetle saveable? Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/a/5GdbcHW

I have the option of trading this for a truck that i own, and it obviously needs a lot of work. I am not overly familiar with beetles, so i am hoping for some input as to whether it is worthwhile saving this one, or would i be better off waiting until something with less rust comes around. Its priced around 1000$ USD. Thanks in advance. (1971 superbeetle) body and floorpans are solid.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this beetle saveable? Reply with quote

It's a money pit and will cost you many times more than it will ever be worth.

So unless you can do all the rust/rot repair yourself... pass on it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justin S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this beetle saveable? Reply with quote

thanks. I can do the repairs myself, just not really wanting to do a full body off of frame restoration. really just want something that i can make look decent, and not be a rusty deathtrap
Cheburashka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this beetle saveable? Reply with quote

I'm working on a similar '71 Super Beetle, but with much less rust. At present, I have $900 into it as original purchase cost, plus replacement of all rubber within reason (tires, brake cylinders, brake hoses, master cylinder, engine seals, etc.) Mine came with a re-done interior. Right now, including all the new parts I've purchased, I'm around $2800 deep in it, and it would sell for slightly more than half that. If you're looking for a fun restoration job and you've got money to burn, do it. If you're looking to ever get your money back out of it, forget it.

There are also some stylistic choices on that one that really detract from the value. Pulling the turn signals off the fenders and installing LED barnacle marker lights and directional signals in the mirrors? Not very attractive, and probably not legal.
JoeyBagaDonutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is this beetle saveable? Reply with quote

You would definitely be doing a full body off restoration.
1971 Karmann Ghia Vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is this beetle saveable? Reply with quote

It needs body off resto, if not walk away.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is this beetle saveable? Reply with quote

I keep making the mistake of buying a big project for under $1000 rather than buying something I could drive for like $2000 or even something I could be proud of for like $3000.

That doesn't look that bad, but I think if you looked around you could get a driver for about $2000.

If he has the title and the seats and the motor chugs I think it's worth a grand.

If he will let you do it, pull the plugs and put some oil in the cylinders and let soak over night. Come back the next day and turn the motor by hand a few times. Then run a compression test. If the compression is good it will run.

You could clean the exterior and just patina rod it. That rust and missing metal on the inner fender can easily be fixed with some POR15 or Rust Bullet with fiberglass set into it ( I know people hate it, but I've got it on my car and it lasts.)

What are they asking?

When was the last time it was on the road?

Does it start?

Does the motor turn by hand? Does it have a motor?

Does it have a title or are you in a state that will register with a bill of sale?

Does he have the missing interior parts in the garage?

Here's the parts I see you needing to drive it down the road if it has the motor.

throttle cable $30
peddle assembly $100
plugs, cap, rotor, coil. $100
Electric ignition for like $35 on the classified(points suck)
If its a super you will need to replace all the rubber bushings in the front end or your steering wheel will shake over 30 mph. $60
It's probably best if you just buy a new empi carb for like $130
You will need to clean the tank and replace the fuel lines. If the tank is leaking buy a new one for $100 instead of sealing it for $70.
Oil change with new screen and gasket. $30

Figure $500-800 with tires surprises.

Brakes? $150 add Brake lines $60.

It will probably need new front shocks.

then there's the interior.
Door cards, handles, seats, dash cover, Carpet kit, headliner, window seals,

Figure $1000

So, do the math on that and decide if you want to.

Figure $3000 to get it in decent shape without doing paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: