Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wheel well to firewall gap
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

Replaced entire wheelwell on drivers side, lower section on passenger side. Both heater channels, and rotten firewall. Forward section of new firewall fit fine. This rear bulkhead piece has a gap.
Do I just bend that piece over till it meets, and weld the best I can?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

Is that the convertible reinforcement piece?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

I don't know, its a firewall for a standard beetle. CIP1. They had this cheaper piece, and a more expensive piece that they were out of. Maybe I should have waited for the backorder? I guess if I have to I can weld in a shim or two.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

I guessed on the wrong gap. I thought you were referring to the heater-chanel/wheel-housing.

Maybe you could get a dull chisel in just away from the corner and make the bend, down further so you also get less of a overlap but the bend is closer to the wheel housing.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

I'd start at the top of the rear bulkhead piece and weld that in, and work your welds down to the bottom as you tap that gap smaller. Once you put your seam sealer and paint over that seam you'll never know it was there.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Streetsweeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

The best way to fill a gap in sheetmetal is to slug it with 70s tig wire... 1/8" or 5/32" tig wire is best depending on the gap... stick the wire in the gap and tack the wire in on the start of the gap. Then push the wire in with a screwdriver and hammer as you go... I would tig this if I had the option but you can mig weld it also... just tack and fit the wire as you go... the tighter the wire fits, the better
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

No TIG here, this is low budget flux core welding going into this vehicle. I will use your general idea and cut some metal "shims" and weld them in, then weld the firewall to that so its good and strong. I gotta have this car back together before the snow falls so the wifes van can go back in the garage.
Marion, Iowa
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

I don't think that I could finesse that and I do a lot of fluxcore welding when it is not recommended. Laughing You have to get your head in there and probably hold the nozzle with one arm that you are either laying on or is cramped in front of you so you can see.

How about trying beetlenut's method and stop working your way down when otherwise you would be abusing the seam too much. After that you could use the 'fill the gap method' used when butt welding. Use a screw driver (like you are driving a screw and not prying with) to press the over lap down to the farthest part you can force together and tack it down.Then start from the closest part and work down back to it. Then If your not satisfied ,use the fill the gap method for the remainder of it.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

OK got the gap closed. I hope to weld the body to the heater channels tomorrow. I am prepping today, making sure I have bare metal or weld thru primer in all the right places. Thank you for all suggestions.
Faced now with problem of gap between the forward firewall and the body gasket on the napoleon hat. I have no shims under the two forward body mount bolts. I have the heater channels bolted down to the pans, and tight. Do I loosen them so I can weld them higher in the wheel well, and then when I tighten them down it pulls the firewall with them?

Marion, Iowa
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

It does not appear that the hat and tunnel are aligned from side to side. Find out what is limiting the pan's travel towards the firewall.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

Optical illusion because I was taking the photo from an angle. I made my own FIP (form in place gasket) to close up the gap. Should be ready to start welding everything back together this weekend after I put the doors back on and make sure my gaps are good.
Marion, Iowa
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: wheel well to firewall gap Reply with quote

Your gap could also be because the body isn’t torqued down to the pan. There is a sequence for that and if it’s not done right it can cause alignment issues
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: