Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70-71 Blinker Lens
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

Do they make any other style front blinker lens for a 70-71 ?
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

hansie wrote:
Do they make any other style front blinker lens for a 70-71 ?
KGPR/Airhead Parts offers a choice. Or you could weld in some patch panels and change to the older bullet style with either clear or amber lenses.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

crocteau, has some good advice on saving a lot of money. My '72

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

I really don't want to paint the car . I was hopping someone had a flatter lens.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

hansie wrote:
I really don't want to paint the car . I was hopping someone had a flatter lens.

I really wanted to convert to bullets but was running out of time with garage space. So I 'smoked' the lenses with this:

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP999-Nite-Shades-Cover-Translucent/dp/B000CPCRS6

Looks way better than with the clashing orange color.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

You could always give a shot at making your own lens with help from Google.
The fact that you want something nice and flat should work in your favor, and I think basically what you'd need to do is shape a form (block of wood) into the desired profile and then gently heat some plexiglass (acrylic?, lexan?, polycarbonate?) so that it will take the shape of your form.

You probably won't find a sheet of suitable colored plastic to begin with, so you'd likely have to go with clear plastic and either use a colored bulb or find some transparent paint (tint).

Perhaps you could even try using one of those Auto Lens Tail Light Repair Kit Sheets ...

... but I don't know if that would be durable enough.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:

Looking at those photos, it almost seems like if you didn't want to bother with the expense of having your Ghia's body permanently modified and repainted you could make (have made) a metal "adapter" panel upon which a bullet style turn signal could be mounted.
Then just that adapter panel would need to be painted to match the Ghia's body, and the whole assembly could simply be screwed into the later model year rectangular opening.

Just a thought.
Would it actually be feasable?
Don't ask me - I'm just the "idea guy". Smile
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

You can certainly thermoform most acrylics. Would use something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/i/323428430888?chn=ps

Polycarbonate is more difficult to work with.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

Look up "Vacuum forming" on YouTube.

The following are very crude explanations and are intended to spark ideas.

- Build a small vacuum table
- Create a buck the shape you want the Lens to have (wood, dense foam, plaster Etc.)
- Heat the polycarbonate, lay over the buck, apply vacuum
- Trim, fit, adjust, repeat

OR

Working with fleece in place of fiberglass mat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UctklwPlok

- Create a temporary patch panel out of thin metal and secure in place over opening.
- Cover the area in mold release wax
- Apply a fiberglass or fleece mat over the area and allow to cure. This will give you a template to work from and create the base of the lens and attaching points (will require trimming)
- Sculpt the lens holder out of foam using the template as the base
- Cover the mold in fiberglass or fleece and allow to cure
- Trim the holder as needed
- Use a lens created using the ideas above. You could make the lens out of polycarbonate and line the interior of the polly with the prismatic plastic/acrylic mentioned earlier in the thread.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
runamoc wrote:

Looking at those photos, it almost seems like if you didn't want to bother with the expense of having your Ghia's body permanently modified and repainted you could make (have made) a metal "adapter" panel upon which a bullet style turn signal could be mounted.
Then just that adapter panel would need to be painted to match the Ghia's body, and the whole assembly could simply be screwed into the later model year rectangular opening.
Just a thought.

It's not permanent. 1 hour with a die grinder and it's back to original.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Look up "Vacuum forming" on YouTube.

The following are very crude explanations and are intended to spark ideas.

- Build a small vacuum table
- Create a buck the shape you want the Lens to have (wood, dense foam, plaster Etc.)
- Heat the polycarbonate, lay over the buck, apply vacuum
- Trim, fit, adjust, repeat

OR

Working with fleece in place of fiberglass mat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UctklwPlok

- Create a temporary patch panel out of thin metal and secure in place over opening.
- Cover the area in mold release wax
- Apply a fiberglass or fleece mat over the area and allow to cure. This will give you a template to work from and create the base of the lens and attaching points (will require trimming)
- Sculpt the lens holder out of foam using the template as the base
- Cover the mold in fiberglass or fleece and allow to cure
- Trim the holder as needed
- Use a lens created using the ideas above. You could make the lens out of polycarbonate and line the interior of the polly with the prismatic plastic/acrylic mentioned earlier in the thread.

-----
Emil

If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it!
But still a cool project.
I’d probably just spray them too.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
runamoc wrote:

Just a thought.

It's not permanent. 1 hour with a die grinder and it's back to original.

That's very true ... you make a good point, runamoc.

My intention with that comment was to focus more on the fact that after welding up the original rectanguar hole, some paint work would be required.
The same would probably be true after spending an hour cutting that welded panel back out at a leter date.

My idea was to come up with a bullet style turn signal assembly that could simply be bolted in where the original later model rectangular style turn signal lens mounts.
With something like that the only thing that would need to be painted would be the adapter plate, and not the actual car itself.

If you had the skills, you could even incorporate a horn grill in the style of the Porsche 356 turn signals ...

... and then no painting would be required at all.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

If you had the skills, you could even incorporate a horn grill in the style of the Porsche 356 turn signals ...

Installing Beetle headlights would complete the look. Wink
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Installing Beetle headlights would complete the look. Wink

Don't feed the troll. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
runamoc wrote:

Just a thought.

I did exactly that on a Ghia I had back about 8 years ago. I carefully made a metal plate that I could screw to the flanges. I then used a little bondo to smooth it. Since the paint on the car was single stage it was pretty easy to blend. I thought it came out good and was easily reversed.

It was an interesting exercise. Here is a photo of the car. Since the car was white I went with clear bullet lenses with yellow bulbs.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

Hey NOVA, did you keep those plates or turn them in so I can try to get them??? They look like Historic plates, so I don't really want them since I plan to drive mine more than is allowed by state law.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 70-71 Blinker Lens Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Hey NOVA, did you keep those plates or turn them in so I can try to get them??? They look like Historic plates, so I don't really want them since I plan to drive mine more than is allowed by state law.
Jeff

I turned them in. Its showing as available on the DMV site with any type of plate. Good Luck!

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/dmvnet/plate_purchase/select_plate.asp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: