Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tie rod ends
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: tie rod ends Reply with quote

i have been rebuilding my front suspension due to camber bolt seizure to uca bushings and other issues. i put a new tie rod end on due to the boot being torn but when i tried to tighten the nut it just turned and the threaded shaft of the tie rod end didnt move but the nut just spins and i can not even get 5 ft/lbs of torque. the nut is against the steering knuckle but just turns without much torque ( bently says 22 ft/lbs). it is allmost like it is stripped or the threaded shaft is too long. this was a meyle brand from vancafe. is this normal?
1990 vw automatic camper
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: tie rod ends Reply with quote

I had this exact same experience.

Someone told me to take the old tie rod end nut (castle) and tighten it down then remove and use the new nut with nylon.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292929&highlight=tie+rod+end+nut+spinning

Hope it works for you.

DJ
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: tie rod ends Reply with quote

mine is a little different problem in that my nut will not tighten anymore like it ran out of threads the nut just spins and the tire rod shaft that goes through the knuckle dosent spin. is there suppose to be a washer between the knuckle and nut? i have seated the tie rod end in the knuckle so it dosent move or spin but the nut will not tighten.
1990 vw automatic camper
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: tie rod ends Reply with quote

check out the link above. Some good tips on adding some leverage so that the nut catches the threads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: