Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Krustybus wrote:
The brake line does run on the outside of the belly pan.
There is also a tube along the inside of the right frame rail for the wiring harness that should be in place before the belly pans go on.

Great work!

Thanks for the response. Any pics of that tube? Would it be on a 59 for sure? I assume a tube was used so they could fish the wire harness in after the belly pans went on?? Otherwise, I was planning on painting the underside in the correct Butlyhammer primer color, then clipping the wire harness in place, and then weld in the belly pans.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Found this photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Thanks CaLiBus)

In this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608560&highlight=harness+tube

I also found a barn door picture with a tube, so yes, 59 had one.
I wish mine had a larger than stock diameter for additional wiring back to engine/battery area. Or another one down the left side.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Krustybus wrote:
Found this photo:

(Thanks CaLiBus)

In this thread:

I wish mine had a larger than stock diameter for additional wiring back to engine/battery area. Or another one down the left side.

That’s awesome. Thank you for that! That helps me move my project forward without buying a wiring harness I’m not ready for. Budget!
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
Krustybus wrote:
Found this photo:

(Thanks CaLiBus)

In this thread:

That’s awesome. Thank you for that! That helps me move my project forward without buying a wiring harness I’m not ready for. Budget!

That is a great thread, never thought to look for one like that. That tube looks just like the shift rod tube I just replaced. Metric steel tube from WW. I might just go with Galvanized EMT wire conduit. As long as I don’t have to weld anything, I’m paranoid about welding galv.

Someone mentioned choke cables, do they run differently on a deluxe? My Kombi has them ty wrapped to the steel tubes for accel cables.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know the diameter of the wiring harness tube?
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Dave do you have any updates?
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

I do. I’m off next week so I will update the thread. She’s off the rotisserie and back on four wheels. Almost ready for paint
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Spot welded Drip Rail. It blew through in a few places, but should be easy to fix

Belly Pans Welded in. I used the 3/4" conduit suggested in another thread for the wiring harness tube.

another project came my way, a 64 21 window that needed extensive metal replacement. Before:

after:
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

there was another deluxe conversion at the OCTO show so I got a chance to look at what they used for inner corner windows

Using a Wolfsburg West inner window frame, i cut out the center of the window and ended at the begining of the curve. the scrap that was cut out of the center.....cut almost all the way through at 1" intervals, then bend to match the window frame and weld back up.

all for naught now............the BBT inner window frames just arrived at WW. damnit. had i waited one more week... Rolling Eyes
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

new Wolfsburg West nose. the turn signal pedestals do not fit, they were bright green aftermarket that we bought at Pomona. not the correct shape so i will have to cut them out and harvest the ones off the original nose that i have mounted on my backyard fence.

some shots of working on the canopy for my single cabe and a nice shot of 44 windows in my garage!

Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Floors complete and a home made heater log

thinking about this yesterday......what if i kept the bus looking like this on the outside? ill repaint the entire interior, new upholstery, door panels, headliner, etc.... make it bitchin' new on the inside, but keep it like this on the outside? i was going to paint Dove Blue lower and Artic upper, so the roof would be painted Artic over Dove Blue so it will wear through correctly. any bare metal will be painted Dove or ARtic depending on where it is, but leave the OG paint, hippie hearts, Klassic Fab green, and WW primer panels? STill thinking about it.

im updating my other build threads also. been busy with my Daughters bug, new truck, and my buddys 21 window....
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

some distractions over the last couple of years since i was diligent about updating my build threads

a parts score! NOS 36hp bus exhaust with the VW emblem on the side, factory stickers, etc... awesome.

John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

I was looking forward to seeing it painted Dove Blue / White
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

just painted this last weekend. here it is in full Dove Blue before the two-tone. a couple of runs, im usually pretty good with painting but my Hill Billy paint booth set up left a little to be desired this time. it was so foggy in there i couldnt see so i ended up with a gnarly sag on the long wall by the vents.

Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

this one says it all, very happy with how it turned out.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Lessons Learned.
1. the Dove blue mixed by PPG code was too gray. Temple Restorations sells spray cans of perfectly matched paint at the OCTO shows. i bought a can of Dove Blue from him and had it paint matched where i buy all my paint. looks dead on to me
2. the bullet turn signal metal housings that i had, maybe from EIS, were the wrong size. i ended up going with the WW silver weld-thru primer ones. had to weld up the first holes cut too big, then hole saw and file for the new ones. WW provides a cutting template for correct location
3. the headliner beading on a deluxe goes above the cargo doors also, but on a Kombi there is no extra piece of metal that creates that groove for the beading. Klassic Fab sells a kit that has that piece in there that i installed. without that, the beading wouldnt look right.
4. im planning on holding on to this bus, so i painted the whole thing blue then white over the blue so it would age correctly. I love the look of the bottom color coming through the upper color over time. worth the extra cost to me
5. remember when masking, the driver compartment skylights are open to the driver compartment. DUH!!!!! my son and i masked the whole bus and forgot to tape up the front skylights so now i have to repaint the driver compartment due to a lovely white mist over everything up front. at least i had the dash and air box taped up separately. stupid mistake that created a lot of unnecessary work.

still have to finish the doors and other body color pieces. I found a good nap cloth stretchy Mercedes material for the headliner, after this weekend's paint touch up I should be ready for home-made headliner project.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

for the white, i used Arctic mixed by code. At first it seemed too green when I sprayed it on the interior cargo area, but on the two-tone exterior the Blue brings out the blue in the Arctic. Thats my son's stock 1960 bug color, it looks good against the Dove Blue.
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

Looks Great Dave, can’t wait to see it in person. I’m interested in seeing how the headliner goes.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

That Bus is beautiful. Great job fersure.
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Kombi/Deluxe Rebuild Thread Reply with quote

forgetting to mask the forward skylights, i managed to get a white dust spray on EVERYTHING in the driver compartment. I tried Acetone, but stupidity prevailed and i had to repaint the interior.

cut and buff the back and two corners so far:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: