Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Birchgreen notch
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Just picked this up, a small list of things to do as the car has been stored for about 5 years. First up is a sticking front brake, hopefully some cleaning will take care of it. Then I need a tailpipe for the muffler, oil change, fuel system cleaned out and then add a battery and take it for a spin...which may have to wait until spring. After that, I would like to find some OG paint front fenders or have these ones resprayed and patina’d to match the rest of the car.

I did find an earlier ad of the car for sale (search birchgreen VW) and click on images and you will see the car with the roof rack in silver

But first let’s start with some pics, even got the misses to sit in it! She’s stoked cause it means she’ll finally get to drive her 75 westy...😂

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Nice. Cool Have fun with it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Oooh, that looks nice
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Thanks gents! Pretty stoked to have a car to drive while the restoration work continues on the 69.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

I didn't notice it the 1st time I looked thru your pics, but it looks like the car originally had a gas heater in it.

You can see the hole in the trunk wall for the exhaust pipe. Being a 63, I would have thought it would have gotten 1 that sat in the nose, rather than the side.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Quote:
You can see the hole in the trunk wall for the exhaust pipe. Being a 63, I would have thought it would have gotten 1 that sat in the nose, rather than the side.

The gas heater that was inside the front apron was only used on 1965 models. That is a super nice early car. Looks to have the early hood emblem also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Cool

Popcorn

More pics!

What’s That Noise?!?
HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Gas heater and Norema roof rack. Is the car originally from Sweden?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

I will post more pics later tonight, had eye surgery earlier this week and haven’t been to the shop, but in the meantime, here is the link for an ad for the car almost 11 years ago. So in that time someone tried to “fix” the front fenders and now it is sporting a very unique two-tone paint scheme.

I am going to be requesting a birth certificate to get more details of the car today.

http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=12744.0
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Just a couple of the uncracked dash.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Found the cause of the sticking drum, leaky front cylinder. 👎
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

That looks really good for living in Canada. Nice score. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
That looks really good for living in Canada. Nice score. Cool

Pretty decent considering it spent some time in BC. Made a list of parts I need to get it road worthy. So if anyone is holding a set of front brake liners, LHS front wheel cylinder (22mm) and a stock muffler with the pre heat pipe for a side draft motor please let me know.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

I would think you would want to rebuild that wheel cylinder...
Those early 22s are hard to find and expensive Shocked Not sure you will find any that are better (even the NOS ones are now leak prone)

That said - ISP West may have some of the parts you need.

I had to buy some early front brake parts from Germany (via german ebay)
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

dc wrote:
I would think you would want to rebuild that wheel cylinder...
Those early 22s are hard to find and expensive Shocked Not sure you will find any that are better (even the NOS ones are now leak prone)

That said - ISP West may have some of the parts you need.

I had to buy some early front brake parts from Germany (via german ebay)

I have a call into them to see if they have all parts to rebuild it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

just buy the brazillian rears (super beetle fronts), and rob them of their cups and dust boots. cheaper and new good stuff.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
just buy the brazillian rears (super beetle fronts), and rob them of their cups and dust boots. cheaper and new good stuff.

You mean this one? http://store.concept1.ca/Whl-Cyl-SuperB-Fr.-71-79-EP98-6016-B/ I see it listed as 23.8mm mine is an October of 62 production date, which is the 22.2mm bore size correct?

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Hmmmmm the bus rears are 23.8.

You want https://www.vwispwest.com/311611067CBR.html?p=YzE9MTg0
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Hmmmmm the bus rears are 23.8.

You want https://www.vwispwest.com/311611067CBR.html?p=YzE9MTg0

Thank you sir. I have ordered one up and hope it works, cause secretly I was starting to consider the only other options...later model (64-65) or wide five disc conversion.

And since everyone loves pictures, here’s one that makes me go 🤔🤔🤔 look closely at the rib on the hood, could this car have originally been blue?

Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

The hood might have been blue, but I doubt the whole car was. Somebody might have sat on it, or dropped something on it, or some other such tragedy dinged it and they swapped it out for another one. It is a little odd how not all of the body panels seems to have matching paint though. Maybe an original was hail damaged? Might explain why the roof and hood don't matched the doors/fenders.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: