Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Birchgreen notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
What are the odds?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What would be the odds of having three Birchgreen titles threads at the top of the Samba...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Not really anything exciting going on, just the drudgery of getting years of grime cleaned off.

First the transmission

The inspection cover weighed in at about 5lbs

Yes that is about 3/4” of grime on the top of the transmission.

After it was partially cleaned...at least clean enough to remove the axle tubes

With it all cleaned I probably had about a ten pound weight reduction, which means my top speed will likely be close to 300😂😂😂

And some brake action

And a little request for some help. I am desperately in need of both pinwheel rear drums. Mine are out of spec, and I need to have the car inspected prior to getting it registered. I have posted a wanted ad, but can’t hurt to ask here as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Archaeology! Shocked

Let's hope someone can dig deep into their treasure stash and come through for you...!

You know there has to be a guy reading this who has a couple of pinwheel drums that is never going to use them. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Archaeology! Shocked

Let's hope someone can dig deep into their treasure stash and come through for you...!

You know there has to be a guy reading this who has a couple of pinwheel drums that is never going to use them. Wink

A guy? There is probably a couple using them as a door stop and a paperweight! But I have a plan in place if I can’t find them...
Plan A - find them
Plan B - find someone to reline them (356 guys do it, but they are aluminum) has to be a certified shop as the receipt has to be included with the inspection.
Plan C - use 64-65 parts
Plan D - four lug conversion or disc brakes all around.
Plan E - sell it to the guy who has been using them for a doorstop and paperweight!!

I should mention I have tried the usual suspects, ISP West, The Samba, Instagram (both mine and VW trader) Joel and reached out to host of SoCal club guys. As for the web, things get very dark at 1:30 and about forty pages back in the google machine when you think you’ve found them in a German site, after a half hour translating finding out they don’t. 😢
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

What's a pinwheel rear drum? Clearly a rear drum, but why pinwheel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

bally wrote:
What's a pinwheel rear drum? Clearly a rear drum, but why pinwheel?

Pinwheel refers to the center section of the drum. On early cars 61-63 they used pinwheel drums, on 64-65 cars they used a star center. Another neat fact, is the early rears are smaller, (230mm vs 248mn) so swapping just drums over doesn’t work.

Here are some pics that show the difference.
Pinwheel

Star

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Thanks for the education 😊 I have the pinwheel drums on my 63 , which I knew was correct, but I was unfamiliar wth the name. Now I know. Every day is a school day! Thanks, Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

So drums have been located and should be here this week. More parts have arrived at the border, so Friday I will make the trip south to retrieve it. The wheel cylinders have arrived from Sweden and the first batch of powder coating is done.

Lost a couple weeks due to the flu and a chest infection, but managed to get the axle tubes prepped and the rear subframe out, they will go to the powder coaters on Monday. Going to let them blast the subframe as it’s finally decided it was winter here and got real cold, so the ublast place is down.

With luck the next update will have some reassembly pics.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Sorry for my laziness in keeping this thread updated, but work has been commencing and soon it will be ready for the road.

Transmission cleaned.

Nosecone machined for later bushing

Case painted and axle tubes installed

And how do I love original hardware!🥰

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

DORN could be short for DORMAN?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

That trans cleaned up real nice. Cool Looks good. Keep up the good work. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
That trans cleaned up real nice. Cool Looks good. Keep up the good work. Very Happy

Thank you sir. Trying to build the bottom as clean as I can.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Front brakes and beam are in. Too bad I got the shock colours reversed and ordered red oil filled for the front and black gas adjusts for the rear.🤦‍♂️

The brake assembly went together well, used NOS aftermarket cylinders that I sourced from Sweden and refurbished the hardware

Luckily the front drums are within spec, don’t worry, bearings weren’t adjusted yet, so that is why the tabs aren’t bent over.

Was going to machine a longer M12 stud to mount my dial gauge to, just like the factory tool, but then realized my center caps are a pain to remove. Instead I used a piece of 2” angle iron the same width as the tire bolted to the drum to check wheel bearing play. Which of course I didn’t get a picture of, so you get this one of the dial indicator and magnetic base attached to the drum.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Good to see you found brake components. Looks good.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Love this build..

Gotta feel good to get all of that stuff sorted and together.

Do i detect a preemptive undercoating removal job started?
Looks like you cleaned out all of that stuff where the beam might interfere.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Love this build..

Gotta feel good to get all of that stuff sorted and together.

Do i detect a preemptive undercoating removal job started?
Looks like you cleaned out all of that stuff where the beam might interfere.. Wink

Not at all by me. That’s where is had just fallen off over time! My main goal is to get it on the road this year and tackle the undercoating, small rust issues and fender repaints next year. Summer up here is short, and I think if I turn it into another long term project, my wife will kill or divorce me...

Which leads to an interesting bit of history, I have managed to track the last four owners, and three of them have had to move the car due to divorce. So I am treading carefully.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

It was Mario at T3HQ that came to the rescue! His mate had an NOS set that he was will to pass on.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

It was Mario at T3HQ that came to the rescue! His mate had an NOS set that he was will to pass on.

Good. Cool Keep his info Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Jason37 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Good. Cool Keep his info Wink

Yes! I need one piece of trunk liner, that I’ve been meaning to hit him up for.
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Nice! Damn, I should of clear coated my transmission while it was out... Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: