Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

My new to me Rialta (Eurovan chassis) came with an abundance of grit and grime in the belly pan. The belly pan is almost clean; the sound damping/insulation is toast.

Anybody put something else in there to keep it quiet? Audio sound dampers like B-Quiet?
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

at least yours came with a belly pan!

i've been looking into getting one for my weekender. i think you may be able to find the precut sound deadening for the belly pan in europe. i've been meaning to contact these people in estonia to get more info:

http://alvadi.ee/en/kataloog/varuosa/24273/17090
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

postjosh wrote:

i've been looking into getting one for my weekender. i think you may be able to find the precut sound deadening for the belly pan in europe. i've been meaning to contact these people in estonia to get more info:

I found one of the online oem vw dealers still shows them still available. About $100, more at the dealer. ETKA was just showing "rework" for the part number, so I assumed they weren't available.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I have a few Eurovan lower engine covers, free to a good home, they may get scrapped soon.

East Nassau, NY

Address: 906 Central Nassau Rd, East Nassau, NY 12062
Phone: (518) 766-5654

postjosh wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

thanks but i don't have the time right now to drive up to albany. also, the newer replacement pans are plastic which i think makes more sense.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

so, two yeas later i finally installed a belly pan. i went with a plastic one because i want it primarily for splash protection not as a skid plate. it was crazy difficult to get one delivered. they still make them in europe but i couldn't find them in the u.s. i ordered it on ebay from this outfit in latvia: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Bay-Silencing-Mate...647684208. it was only $34 but the shipping was a $150. i thought that was high but when it got here it was in a huge box and the shipping seemed very reasonable.

one nice thing about the plastic version is that it has cutouts for the oil drain and filter. here's the model info for my '93 lhd 5 cylinder weekender: JP GROUP part #1181301500 OEM part #7D0805685L. it doesn't come with any mounting hardware. it has a number of predrilled holes, 4 of which lined up nicely. i held it in place with M8-1.25 x 20mm Stainless Steel Hex Head Bolts. i also connected the back lip to the rubber dampers with a couple of metric nuts - i think they were M6's. the rubber dampers didn't quite line up with the pre-drilled holes so i drilled two new ones with a dremel.

i was pleasantly surprised at how much it reduced noise from the engine compartment. it seems like it will be much easier to live with than the vw metal belly pan that one of the previous owners discarded.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

I have two bellypans here I'd be glad to give away. They make roadside diagnostics or general service a royal pain.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

I made the mistake of leaving mine off after a recent service. Ended up getting water on my ignition wires and causing engine to stall out in traffic. I do like the idea of a lighter weight plastic one
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

subdewd wrote:
I made the mistake of leaving mine off after a recent service. Ended up getting water on my ignition wires and causing engine to stall out in traffic. I do like the idea of a lighter weight plastic one

I was going to complain about you being off topic but water is to dampening as sound is to damping.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

The insulation within my 95 EVC belly pan appears to be missing a portion. See pictures.

I looked up part # 701-805-696 but came up with nothing.

Any possible sources for this insulation?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maurusfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

Did anyone find a source for the belly pan insulation?
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

I imagine something like rhinX with work ok.
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread.
Dropped the belly pan from my 2001 weekender.
Was very grimy and dirty and the insulation was floppy and torn.

I prefer having the belly pan for undercarriage protection and sound reduction and metal is heavier but stronger than plastic.

So I removed the insulation and degreased/power-washed the pan. Seems to be in good shape.

For insulation, I'm considering cut and place mats like https://www.dynamat.com/products/dynamat-xtreme/or spray-on like https://www.designengineering.com/boom-mat-spray-on/

Let me know if any of you added your own belly pan insulation. I'll share an update on mine when finished...
KillerGriller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

I just dropped mine for the first time, and it looks like I'm in the same boat. Let us know how yours turns out.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

For what its worth, when I got my 2003 Weekender a couple of years ago, I removed the oil soaked insulation from the stock belly pan and tossed it in the bin.

I am currently running the belly pan insulation free with no noticeable effects. If its "noisier", I don't notice it over the wind noise associated with driving a brick. On the plus side, it does make it easier to pin point leaks (and clean up after them).
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

^^ yeah I’ve always thought of it as a diaper and heat shield not sound dampening. Now I want to remove the nasty and put in a modern not-diaper option to see if it is any quieter.
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

Pretty sure my solution was overkill, but it's been a cold winter and was looking for some indoor projects this winter inbetween tolerable wrenching days in the garage. The PO lived with at least two oil leaks that were small but continued over several years. My pan was filled with oil-soaked insulation, dents, and some surface rust. Unfortunately forgot to take a pic of the insulation before I tossed it. Here are some before/after pics:

Exterior of original pan after pounding out a few dents, rust wire-brushing, and some initial scrubbing of grime and undercoating removed:

Interior cleaned up well. The oil-soaked insulation actually protected the interior finish everywhere except the mounting clip holes. Many of those had surface rust.

Current interior after applying noico insulating pads and foil taping all the seams. Looks a bit too much like the lunar module -- hope it's more durable. I've fixed the oil pan leak but still chasing another from the valve cover or cam sensor. I know this isn't gonna stay pretty...

Current exterior after priming and raptor coating it. I had originally planned to put clips back in the holes but struggled to find good quality one's that fit well. Decided it was better just to "plug" them since not needed anyhow to retain the noico. Used rubber tape to seal/cover the holes -- adhesive seems strong. We'll see...

Have some other projects to complete and will be on the road by June. Will report back on durability etc....
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

That looks awesome. Please post if it reduces the road noise noticeably once re-installed, I've been trying to decide if I wanted to tackle this. Any noticeable reduction would make it worth it to me.
RoninStorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

VanGeek wrote:
Pretty sure my solution was overkill, but it's been a cold winter and was looking for some indoor projects this winter inbetween tolerable wrenching days in the garage. The PO lived with at least two oil leaks that were small but continued over several years. My pan was filled with oil-soaked insulation, dents, and some surface rust. Unfortunately forgot to take a pic of the insulation before I tossed it. Here are some before/after pics:

Exterior of original pan after pounding out a few dents, rust wire-brushing, and some initial scrubbing of grime and undercoating removed:

Interior cleaned up well. The oil-soaked insulation actually protected the interior finish everywhere except the mounting clip holes. Many of those had surface rust.

Current interior after applying noico insulating pads and foil taping all the seams. Looks a bit too much like the lunar module -- hope it's more durable. I've fixed the oil pan leak but still chasing another from the valve cover or cam sensor. I know this isn't gonna stay pretty...

Current exterior after priming and raptor coating it. I had originally planned to put clips back in the holes but struggled to find good quality one's that fit well. Decided it was better just to "plug" them since not needed anyhow to retain the noico. Used rubber tape to seal/cover the holes -- adhesive seems strong. We'll see...

Have some other projects to complete and will be on the road by June. Will report back on durability etc....

Hi VanGreek,
Great job! Looks Awesome.
You have motivated me to do the same. Although I'm not familiar with the Raptor coating.

Question: Which priming products did you use? I see a Raptor "Primer" and "Adhesion Promoter" on Amazon. Or did you use another brand?
Also, how many cans of Raptor did the job require?
And finally could you share how many coats were needed to achieve the beautiful finish you ended with.

Separate questions (Does anyone know):
1. How does the Noico sound deadening work with a bit of an oil leak. Wonder if there is something else I should line the skid/belly pan with given the inevitable oil leaks I'll have. Smile

2. Has anyone ever experimented with any quick release type bolts and/or screws for the skid/belly pan? Or come up with an easier process for removing the pan.

3. If I lift my 2001 Weekender would I be able to slide the pan out from under the van without lifting? This would be awesome if true.

Safe travels all.

Thank y'all advance,

Ronin
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Belly Pan Sound Dampening Reply with quote

Here's what I know....

Would be difficult to remove the pan w/o lifting the van. Even if it could be done (and I'm not certain) it would be very difficult. Lifting the front on jack stands is pretty easy and quick.

I used raptor 2K although you could probably use std raptor. I needed two cans.

I scuffed the original paint and wirebrushed the rust. I cleaned with wax/oil remover and wiped with alcohol. I used rust-oleum etching primer. Could also potentially use their rust-converter primer if you had a lot. I think you only need adhesion promoter when painting over plastic.

The use of Noico was a risk. Might be ok but the back-side adhesive may be compromised with oil. I won't know until after I get back on the road this Spring. I sealed the seams with foil tape. That will help.

Great idea about using quick release fasteners on the belly pan. There's a front retainer clip and two rear hooks that keepsthe pan intact after all bolts are removed There are only 4 bolts which come out pretty fast with a crodless impact socket. But let us know if you have creative ideas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: