Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Banff or Jasper free camping spots?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

My wife and I are heading up there this weekend. We prefer stealth camping off the grid down a forest road, or down by a river, etc to a campground. Anybody know any spots between these two cities or along the Icefield Parkway?

Thanks. Feel free to PM me if its private.'

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

No answers, but I'll be listening closely for chatter...
(This is on our very short list for next summer...)

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

If you are traveling from the west, check out Dog Leg Lake just outside of Radium Hot Springs. Nice canoeing and usually a couple of loons. You will need to ask locally about directions.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

My favorite area is east of the Saskatchewan River Crossing, on Hwy 11. As soon as you are out of the park
all the way to Nordegg, plenty of nice places..gorgeous views.

Jasper is a BIG park..lots of driving to get out to free camp.

And have you checked the weather? shitty fall so far up here..snow every day for the next week in Jasper..
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Phone the park offices and speak to a park staff member.

They were super helpful this year for us in Yoho.

Mike
'82 Westy Diesel
Xerox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

You can pretty much count on snow, there has been snow all along the parkway and it is sticking, at least at higher elevations. It was snowing in Calgary this morning! Also, it is not unheard of for the icefield parkway to be closed for periods in winter. While it is not winter yet, it has been a very unusual fall so far...
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:
Phone the park offices and speak to a park staff member.

They were super helpful this year for us in Yoho.

Mike
'82 Westy Diesel

Hi Mike

Are they willing to indicate free spots ? I would have thought they want to control camping and have you camp in the designated campgrounds only.

Cheers from Victoria
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Cool - hoping for some snow as the first adventure of the winter season. Weather is supposed to be nice in Jasper and we're optimistically carrying kayaks for Lake Maligne while we're up there. No snow is forecast until Tuesday at this point - just Banff and the area. Thanks for the heads up on the park. I find if you call these types of folks and reassure them you are a zero impact type (have porta potti aboard for instance) they'll often steer you a bit to certain roads. Carrying tire chains, shovel, aux heater and with fresh brakes and new tires, ready for it. For snow, we've got massive forward lighting and a super bright red rear fog lamp for blowing snow safety I've been anxious to try out.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

In general we found Banff and Jasper to have few if any stealth camping spots. I suppose you could camp at the trailhead below Mt Edith Cavell in Jasper, but really there are few roads that even run off the Ice Fields Parkway.

I would think that this time of the year the campgrounds are pretty empty making them more attractive. Don't miss Miette Hot Springs just before the Northern exit from Jasper. As cold as it's going to be, you'll appreciate them!
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blacksmith73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
... We prefer stealth camping off the grid down a forest road, or down by a river, etc to a campground. Anybody know any spots between these two cities or along the Icefield Parkway?

Doug

Hi Doug,

with all my respect, I think this is against the law. You can't do stealth camping/random camping in the Canadian National Parks. Here are the National Parks of Canada Camping Regulations: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-80-127/page-1.html#docCont

p.3 (1) No person shall use or occupy or reside or camp on any public land in a Park or park any vehicle on such land for the purpose of camping unless he is

(a) the holder of a valid camping permit authorizing him to use that land
for that purpose; or

(b) a member of a group in respect of which a camping permit has been
issued and is still valid.

Personally, I understand you and that's why we rarely visit our National Parks . There are (still) plenty of places outside of them where you can do whatever you want (within reason). For random camping between Banff and Jasper I'll recommend Abraham Lake - it's a beautiful place and outside of the parks.

Regards,
Peter
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Good points. We opted to stay in the Wapiti campground last night which lived up to its name. A herd of 40 or so were streaming into the park as we checked in. On our way up the Icefield Parkway yesterday, we saw a wolf, a black bear (very close), mountain sheep, deer and Elk. Pics of all and cool interaction tht left us properly awed. Van covered over 470 miles including toughes climbing I have ever asked if it. Freezingtemps overnight both nights. Heaters on at moment and we are headed to a breakfast place we heard about at dinner last night. Paddling today and veryexcited!!!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Sounds awesome. Pics please!!!

(BTW AFAIK Everett will allow trip report pics without a VW in them. Just label the pic as a trip report pic and it should be OK. He made this decision a while back when photobucket blocked access without ransom and many of us lost access to out trip report pics that were not hosted on the samba. Cool )

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Wow. Paddled today on Lake Maligne. Crazy optics - kayaking with fresh snow on peaks as backdrop on sunny day. Saw bighorn sheep on road from 20 feet. Having so much fun we r staying here tonight again rather than Banff for the night. How can we do that? Why we are driving a Vanagon, so we have our sleeping arrangements with us!!! If there is one aspect of the van I am in love with, it is the ability to be spontaneous. Priceless in a world of 9 months in advance reservations.....yeehaaa!!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

jasper is lovely. another treat out that way, while the road is still clear, is hiking sulphur ridge and then sitting in the hot springs at miette. the hike is very short and stunning and the hotsprings reward is great. the cabins there are pretty reasonable too if you feel like a van break.

as for free camping, i camped in the banff industrial park after a breakdown. i had just blown the temp sender, so i had some justification to camp, and had no hassle.

kananaskis is worth checking out - south of banff. many nice places along that road. i remember camping and seeing wolves at the lake just south of canmore.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Rolling to columbia glacier ish.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Another vote for Miette Hot Springs. We encountered elk on the lawn of the Jasper town hall; they make themselves right at home there.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful Fall trip! I recall Lake Maligne was ice cold in June. That's chilly water to paddle.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Rolling to columbia glacier ish.

Just missed us, we were up there until yesterday afternoon.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Another vote for Miette Hot Springs.

What a great place that is. And the drive up is spectacular, just like all of the Canadian Rockies. Hoping to go back next summer.

Doug, we need photos!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Banff or Jasper free camping spots? Reply with quote

Wow. Got back at 1am local. 9 hours of driving, the last 5 after dark on country roads full of animals. Half a dozen Elk, 3 deer, 2 coyotes, a raccoon and more than a few eyes we couldn't be sure. So nice having the big Hellas, and the high end bulbs in our lights. The new brakes felt super solid on the many mountain passes and a few hard braking events for animals. I'll get some pictures up when I have time later.

We covered well over 1000 miles in 3 days. I would leave and do that again this next weekend, except that everything changed over night for them. We got chased down the valley by storm clouds snagging the peaks, and all day the ceiling got lower until we were driving in flurries.Aware of the forecast, our timing was perfect and we essentially spent their last "summery" weekend up there. Trails were beautiful. Today the whole town of Jasper is covered in snow, the roads will be wet, the trails muddy, and we left it behind by hours.

So happy we decided to go for it - what a total treat for they eyes as you will see from the pictures.

Doug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: