Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a Bra....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shredder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Need to locate a Bra for the nose of my '62 Ragtop. I tow it behind the motorhome wherever I go. Looked around a bit thought I may get a little action here. A decent used one would be ok,new ? Tough buyin something for this old car....all help is appreciated.
Thx!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

They tend to move around and scuff or cloud the paint.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

I have four bras (for beetles) yet they seldom see action on the cars because of the damage they cause. Anything that runs down a bug's hood works its way under the bras and causes grief. I pulled one off this '71 and spent HOURS trying to bring the paint back to presentability.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I use a couple different early accessory bras on my cars- but only for display and little road use.

I think the best choice for towing would good coverage on the motorhome and a clear mask on the beetle. I do not have the same opinion about most cars. A bra on a jeep/samurai/geo/etc... all the other commonly-towed cars are a great idea- just not with beetles.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Go braless
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1877190

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Go braless

Good advice. Oh, and remove the front shocks while you are at it.
Wink
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

And just to help kickstart the carnage on the hood paint, this seller has laid his bra down on the gravel. Classy.

But really, that bra would never fit an early beetle. It will cause more harm than good. Just call MAM or Jbugs and ask them to look for one in the closeout back room- for early cars only.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

And just to help kickstart the carnage on the hood paint, this seller has laid his bra down on the gravel. Classy.

Speaking of classy. Nice post. Rolling Eyes

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Shredder wrote:
Need to locate a Bra for the nose of my '62 Ragtop. I tow it behind the motorhome wherever I go. Looked around a bit thought I may get a little action here. A decent used one would be ok,new ? Tough buyin something for this old car....all help is appreciated.
Thx!

There's this new invention called "a trailer", that will help you to avoid damage to your vehicle while towing it. They even make enclosed ones.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
Shredder wrote:
Thx!

There's this new invention called "a trailer", that will help you to avoid damage to your vehicle while towing it. They even make enclosed ones.

The problem with a trailer is when you get to your destination you often have to disconnect it to park the motorhome. This means you also need to find a place to park the trailer.

Much easier to tow the vehicle on all fours behind the RV.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:
Shredder wrote:
Thx!

The problem with a trailer is when you get to your destination you often have to disconnect it to park the motorhome. This means you also need to find a place to park the trailer.

That is the paradigm. Wink

But even though the vast majority of motorhome enthusiasts appear to have some unnatural phobia of trailers, I have seen WAY too many tragic incidents involving flat-towing.

For starters, you can't back up when flat-towing. Ever. Doesn't sound very convenient to me.

Most of the mishaps that I have seen, have involved the towed vehicle sustaining a flat tire, and then being towed until it caught on fire and burned to the ground, while the motorhome driver was completely oblivious to it.

Just buy a trailer.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
Shredder wrote:
Thx!

I drive my Volkswagens. They aint no trailer queens!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:
Shredder wrote:
Thx!

But even though the vast majority of motorhome enthusiasts appear to have some unnatural phobia of trailers, I have seen WAY too many tragic incidents involving flat-towing.

For starters, you can't back up when flat-towing. Ever. Doesn't sound very convenient to me.

Most of the mishaps that I have seen, have involved the towed vehicle sustaining a flat tire, and then being towed until it caught on fire and burned to the ground, while the motorhome driver was completely oblivious to it.

Just buy a trailer.

No ... I'm good. You can back up if you aren't an idiot. And there are tire monitors for the tow'd if that worries you.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Go with a clear bra if your paint is good-search for 3M installer in your area.

It is basically a sacrificial clear plastic that is attached to the paint (you see them on noses and lower rocker panels of new cars and on higher end cars).
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:

Just buy a trailer.

No ... I'm good. You can back up if you aren't an idiot.

No.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=102531.0

The laws of physics apply, whether we want them to or not. The front end castor angle will cause the front wheels of the towed vehicle to cock to the side if you try backing up any material distance.

The only way they would NOT cock to the side, is if you had no castor in the front end of your towed vehicle, which would make the towed vehicle unsafe to drive.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:

Just buy a trailer.
Trailer tires can't go flat and catch on fire? I didn't know that.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:

Just buy a trailer.

No.

The laws of physics apply, whether we want them to or not. The front end castor angle will cause the front wheels of the towed vehicle to cock to the side if you try backing up any material distance.

The only way they would NOT cock to the side, is if you had no castor in the front end of your towed vehicle, which would make the towed vehicle unsafe to drive.

Or you put a competent person in the tow'd to steer it while backing up. Wink I have done it plenty of times. This isn't rocket surgery, and I am not just some flunky repeating a bunch of stuff I read on the internet.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

No.

Or you put a competent person in the tow'd to steer it while backing up. Wink I have done it plenty of times. This isn't rocket surgery, and I am not just some flunky repeating a bunch of stuff I read on the internet.

That's not you backing it up- that's you and another person backing it up. And that other person is having to try to control the angle of the front wheels of the towed vehicle, as the towed vehicle's front end castor angle fights their efforts. A rather Rube-Goldbergian way to do it. Why not just drop the tow bar and move the two vehicles separately, and then reconnect them when you're ready to go forward again- then your assistant wouldn't be having to fight the car as the two of you try to force it to do something it was never designed to do.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Trailer tires can't go flat and catch on fire? I didn't know that.

Why would you think that?

At least if your trailer tires catch fire, you can see it in your side-view mirrors.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Bra.... Reply with quote

The OP wants a bra for his car. Why do you want to argue about getting a trailer? They are not the same thing and you are not helping.

I tow cars behind my RV, 4 wheels down. No trailer needed. The trailer is an unnecessary waste of time and resources and makes life in the RV much more complicated. Why do you want to argue this point? Have you ever driven an RV? Have you ever towed a car behind one? I have also towed cars on a trailer behind my RV. I assure you, 4 wheels down is much easier, despite what you may think. Wink

A bra to protect the front of the tow'd is much cheaper than a trailer, and a lot easier to store when you get to your destination. (and by the way, there is so little turbulence 4 feet behind the RV's bumper, that the bra won't flap around and damage the paint either. No, I didn't just read this on the internet.)

My car has a reverse gear, so I suspect it was probably designed to back up. It takes 2 minutes to jump in the seat of the tow'd and steer to back the entire rig out of a problem. Much less time than unhitching, moving both vehicles, then getting everything hooked back together.

So, this is reality and not just something I read on the internet. OK? We sometimes need to back up when towing cars behind our RV. Sometimes we unhitch, but sometime we just get in the tow'd and steer while we back up. It works, in spite of what you have read on the internet. We try not to get into that situation, but sometimes people may park in front of us or we find we have no choice but to get into a tight spot ... and we do what we have to, to get out. We don't argue about it, or check the internet to make sure it is OK. One of us hops in the tow'd, the other drives the rig. We do what we have to do and get back on the road.

Please get out there and do stuff instead of just reading about it on the internet. Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: