Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker stands: early vs. late
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Rocker stands: early vs. late Reply with quote

So here's my issue...I have a 40horse that I am building (still lol). Has early type 3 single port headst, round boss. I want to ditch the 1:1 rockers in favor of the later 1.1:1 rockers. Here is my issue: the early rocker assemblies that came off these heads have rocker stands that are about .045 closer to the head than the later ones. Basically, from the bottom of the stand to the center of the shaft, there is .045 difference. Do I just use the later rocker stands or the early ones and add .045 shim, or no shim, is it going to make a difference either way? I don't know enough about the geometry to answer this myself. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that I need to use the original, early rocker stands with the later 1.1:1 rockers. No?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker stands: early vs. late Reply with quote

Use the late ones due to camfer for stud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker stands: early vs. late Reply with quote

AirCooledClassics wrote:
Use the late ones due to camfer for stud.

Camfer for stud? Not sure what u mean. Are you referring to the larger diameter towards the bottom of the stud? If so, my heads are one diameter all the way down. My early rocker stands fit my studs snug, the late ones do not. They're loose due to the larger diameter. I have the rocker assemblies bolted up now with my early stands. Just concerned about the .045 height difference, and not sure if it's enough to be concerned about.
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker stands: early vs. late Reply with quote

Ok ,I haven't used early type 3 stuff except the dome top 83 pistons in my big 36 engine. Ist off the .045 difference should easily adjust and not position the screw in a bad place . If they do just swap the 1.1-1s onto to the earlier shafts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
sslick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker stands: early vs. late Reply with quote

AirCooledClassics wrote:
Ok ,I haven't used early type 3 stuff except the dome top 83 pistons in my big 36 engine. Ist off the .045 difference should easily adjust and not position the screw in a bad place . If they do just swap the 1.1-1s onto to the earlier shafts

The screws seem to be fine. There's about 3-4 threads above the top of the jam nut when the valves are adjusted. The 1.1:1's are currently bolted to the early shafts/stands. All seems well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: