Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

I narrowed my tunnel, well one half so far, to get my seats back, but I have no room to get in, or it is very difficult. Maybe my seats are long, or it's just the way the buggy is, but if I stick with these seats I'll need a removable steering wheel.

drivers seat now goes back further.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but still no room to get in, are my seats too long, or is this normal in a manx clone?

My narrowed tunnel for those interested. My pan was pretty butchard so I didn't go to 90. Still need to add more the horns.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Style of seats is way too big. Steering wheel too big. You can always install a tilt column
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

I have similar seats in my buggy, but The "tunnel' in my tube chassis is only a 1x3 tube. Get a 12 inch steering wheel, it will help greatly

brad
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Most buggies use 12-13" steering wheel and most of the time they are remove able to aid entry and exit. ..those seats look very nice but on the large side. ..if you are looking for style and adjustable then try out some 914 Porsche seats, I think you would be happy with them.

What color you gonna paint the buggy?
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Is that an 80 inch wheel base?.your seating area looks small.i have almost 15 inches between the back of my e-brake and the start of the rear seat/cargo area.I have about 40 inches from the start of my dashboard to the beginning of the rear seating area.thats measuring at an angle from dash down to top of rear seating area.and the front edge of my front driver seat starts about 4 inches down the ebrake handle.the front edge of your seat is level with your shifter.Thats what makes me think u have a small buggy(smaller) body?.OR Your seats are just GIANT.Maybe these measurements will help u.just to give u a rough estimate.i have mazda miata seats in my "clone"".i am 6 foot 260lbs and am fine getting in and out.12inch wheel also.Hope this helps. Sean...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Seats to big, if more than 19 inches wide they will never work.... Steering wheel to big.... I have PRP Roadster seats and 13 inch wheel and getting in/out is not a problem (other than old age)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
Is that an 80 inch wheel base?.your seating area looks small.i have almost 15 inches between the back of my e-brake and the start of the rear seat/cargo area.I have about 40 inches from the start of my dashboard to the beginning of the rear seating area.thats measuring at an angle from dash down to top of rear seating area.and the front edge of my front driver seat starts about 4 inches down the ebrake handle.the front edge of your seat is level with your shifter.Thats what makes me think u have a small buggy(smaller) body?.OR Your seats are just GIANT.Maybe these measurements will help u.just to give u a rough estimate.i have mazda miata seats in my "clone"".i am 6 foot 260lbs and am fine getting in and out.12inch wheel also.Hope this helps. Sean...

That's had crossed my mind if my pan/body was short, maybe a little more narrow. I'll check some measurements today. Or if my seats were just long front to back. But it could also be the way my tunnel was cut, they cut it and the end of the straight part and slipped it inside the flared yoke. see pic

Definitely going to go with a smaller steering wheel. The seats were dirt cheap, cheaper than the poly buckets with cover and slider. So I was hoping to make them work. I'm 5'10 225 with pretty big legs, and I would not wan't to be any taller in my buggy.

Last edited by winddude on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Uhhohh, it's a 72" Wheel base, Shocked I might be in for a twitchy ride on the highway. I didn't feel like my seats were that big.

Also I think I'll be even more tail heavy with the shorter wheelbase.... hmmm.

Idea Next time I'm building it from the ground up, rather than something that's been messed with by who knows how many people. Rolling Eyes
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

I was going to say it was really short. With my seats all the way back I still have room for a 4" wide socket set. i am 6' 4" tall and get in easily.

What does your body look like? A friend has a Hillbilly body that is on a pan shortened twenty inches approx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Curious to see body... Typical Manx style body usually only cuts about 14.5 inches out.... For 80 inch wheelbase...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

winddude , I had a feeling it was smaller.well at least now u know now.good thing u are not over 6 foot!!..I would like to see a body pic too..Can u tell if the body came that way or someone cut the fiberglass body shorter?....Sean
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Our state of Connecticut has a 80" minimum wheelbase requirement. Do you have something similar there? If you do, you may not be able to get it registered. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

This is my friends Hillbilly buggy. Really short.

winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

I'm surprised there is a difference in bodies I thought they would have all been a similar length, to a inch or two. Any one who owns one have any advice on how they drive handle? Or slalom buggy, how long is the wheelbase on our custom chassis?

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Our state of Connecticut has a 80" minimum wheelbase requirement. Do you have something similar there? If you do, you may not be able to get it registered. Tom

I just looked, at "MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS" for where I live (BC, Canada) no mention about minimum wheelbase. Smart car I believe is somewhere around 72" as well.

62kellison wrote:
winddude , I had a feeling it was smaller.well at least now u know now.good thing u are not over 6 foot!!..I would like to see a body pic too..Can u tell if the body came that way or someone cut the fiberglass body shorter?....Sean

Hard to say if it had been modified, the sides of the body had lots of patch work, someone had added wood lifts which I removed, but the arm rest area looks pretty original, or someone did a good job on that part and failed on the rest of the fiberglass work, lol. I'm guessing it's original.

Dale M. wrote:
Curious to see body... Typical Manx style body usually only cuts about 14.5 inches out.... For 80 inch wheelbase...

Dale

Pics of the body coming shortly.

Last edited by winddude on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

This lift on the hood for the windshield is unique, I have never seen one before in pic

The car was apparently originally from Alberta, Canada if that helps anyone. Has what appears to be a copper gold flake gel coat.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:
This is my friends Hillbilly buggy. Really short.

That's interesting my buggy also had a cut out the rear decklid, I assume for an air intake, like your buddies.

And are those trailer wheels?
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
Uhhohh, it's a 72" Wheel base ...

My wheelbase is only 70". That's what KAR Mfg's shorter Mini-Camaro body was for.

winddude wrote:
... might be in for a twitchy ride ...

Yes, it's true that any little steering move results in a quick response. But I really like it, sort of squirrely. Reminiscent of my go-cart.

winddude wrote:
... more tail heavy with the shorter wheelbase ...

That is not what I've found. Before my 70" Mini-Camaro, I had an 80" Manx clone, which seem'd way more front light, especially when driving over bumpy roads. The way I now see it is: A shorter wheelbase has front wheels a few inches rearward, bringing them in closer to the car's center of gravity. And, if you mount your pedals forward as I have done, then the front wheels are closer to where your seat is too. My pedals are ~5" forward of stock location, using a box like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PEDAL-PLATE-ASSEMBLY-VOLKSWAGEN-BUGGY/dp/B00BD9RE3I
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

More pics of Hillbilly body. Front and sides seem to be similar to yours. Rear fenders are different though.

winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:
More pics of Hillbilly body. Front and sides seem to be similar to yours. Rear fenders are different though.

My hood is absolutely identical! The rear fender are a lot different. Any more information on who made the hillbilly or number, always curious? my google foo couldn't find anything.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
winddude wrote:
Uhhohh, it's a 72" Wheel base ...

My wheelbase is only 70". That's what KAR Mfg's shorter Mini-Camaro body was for.

winddude wrote:
... might be in for a twitchy ride ...

Yes, it's true that any little steering move results in a quick response. But I really like it, sort of squirrely. Reminiscent of my go-cart.

winddude wrote:
... more tail heavy with the shorter wheelbase ...

That is not what I've found. Before my 70" Mini-Camaro, I had an 80" Manx clone, which seem'd way more front light, especially when driving over bumpy roads. The way I now see it is: A shorter wheelbase has front wheels a few inches rearward, bringing them in closer to the car's center of gravity. And, if you mount your pedals forward as I have done, then the front wheels are closer to where your seat is too. My pedals are ~5" forward of stock location, using a box like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PEDAL-PLATE-ASSEMBLY-VOLKSWAGEN-BUGGY/dp/B00BD9RE3I

I was wondering about that after I said it, but I think it would make the weight distribution more reward, by moving more of the effort back and shortening the lever that's reducing the load of the engine. But that's true it might be short enough that it also put more body weight on the front axle. But probably easier to upset the balance.

Thanks for the pedal box link. It crossed my mind how I could move the pedals forward when I was trying to figure out seating position, thinking a couple more inches would be nice. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: