Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

No wonder why its hard to get into, thats the shortest buggy body I have ever seen.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

I'll make it work, but it fits my wife better. lol
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

The wheel base on that car is 80 inches however we built a front firewall into the chassis and moved the pedals forwatd 2.5 inches for a little extea leg room.

The wheelbase on my race buggy is 95 inches. Lots of legroom Wink

brad
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The wheel base on that car is 80 inches however we built a front firewall into the chassis and moved the pedals forwatd 2.5 inches for a little extea leg room.

The wheelbase on my race buggy is 95 inches. Lots of legroom Wink

brad

What are your thoughts on making the shorter 72" wheel base work for an autocross car? Think it can be made to work, or should I change my build plan to suit the chassis? You seem to have lots of experience pushing the limits of these buggies and building purpose built cars.

If it won't work well...

Since yesterday I've even contemplated building a custom chassis with 80" wheelbase and just having the engine hang further out the back, and than modify the package tray to get seats back.

But I might be better to build it as is, flip it, start again.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
And, if you mount your pedals forward as I have done, then the front wheels are closer to where your seat is too. My pedals are ~5" forward of stock location, using a box like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PEDAL-PLATE-ASSEMBLY-VOLKSWAGEN-BUGGY/dp/B00BD9RE3I

any pics of moving the pedal assembly forward and how you cut and reinforced the bulkhead?
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
... any pics of moving the pedal assembly forward ...

Did the job in 1986, had no camera; also, no welding skill or equipment. Sort of ashamed to show it. You could do better with your obvious welding ability @winddude. But here's a pic of it today, after 32 years of use in a daily driver and still functioning:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In order to move pedal cluster as far forward as possible while allowing space for a (long) dual circuit master cylinder, I shorten'd the box and the brake pushrod. The box is bolted down to a 3" channel that runs under the cut-off Napolean's hat. For box rigidity, I used a turnbuckle to tie an eye-bolt in upper left corner down to the channel, keeping the box from flexing when hard braking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowed tunnel, still no room to get in Reply with quote

Thanks, and haha, I think my welding still needs a little work, especially joining the different thicknesses of metal.

Probably on hold for a few months, ankle surgery soon and than it'll be cold. Planning to rebuild the engine in the warm shed over the winter. And return to the body and pan come spring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: