Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield washer pump switch
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

This is one of my brainstorms. I mentioned this briefly in another forum, but didn't get any response so here it is again.

Could the cigarette lighter be modified for a switch to a windshield washer pump? In my case it's never used anyhow. Bob
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

Well, probably "replaced" not "modified" since the cig lighter is not a switch at all. Even then, you might have trouble since the dash hole for the cig lighter is larger than the mounting hole for most switches (I'm not Type 4 guy, I am basing this on the Types 1/2/3 which I assume are similar in this respect.

I posted half a dozen links for putting a microswitch in the standard washer switch to operate an electric pump for the washer. In fact, you responded after I posted, but not about the switch.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

Good, give me a reference so I can refresh my feeble brain. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

Titan3c...I know what you are working toward and its a good idea. A simple momentary switch. As KTphil noted...the cigarette lighter is not ideal.

Here is one way to do the later models that have the wiper arm mounted spray valve. You could simply gut almost any lighting switch...flashers, headlights or defrost (defrost switch is easiest)...and install a simple sheet metal bracket and the micro switch I am listing here. They are only about $3 each.

So....

This is the standard late type 1, type 3 and type 4 wiper arm assembly. For those that do not know...that two pronged black fork is the washer fluid valve. It is held on by two screws about 3/4" apart. It has a small black plastic pushrod from the lever that pushes the valve diaphragm and lets pressurized fluid flow from one leg to the other and out through the washer jets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So...look at the dimensions on this micro-switch. These are about $3.

Now imagine unscrewing and removing the forked pressure valve...and installing a small..about 1.25" wide bent piece of sheet metal. Screw it on using the existing screws. It holds the micro switch. You just need ...maybe...to modify or elongate the little plunger pin and you are in business.

The assembly would look like this:

This same micro switch...is so small....1.1" long. 0.63" wide and 0.4" thick...that it could fit inside of a modified headlight switch housing....or gut a window defroster switch...and screw this switch to the back.

Install a spring behind the know...and without detent balls inside of the switch....it will spring back after you release it. On the 1971 and earlier models this could fit right into the dash in place of the original dash mounted valve. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Titan3c...I know what you are working toward and its a good idea. A simple momentary switch. As KTphil noted...the cigarette lighter is not ideal.

Here is one way to do the later models that have the wiper arm mounted spray valve. You could simply gut almost any lighting switch...flashers, headlights or defrost (defrost switch is easiest)...and install a simple sheet metal bracket and the micro switch I am listing here. They are only about $3 each.

So....

This is the standard late type 1, type 3 and type 4 wiper arm assembly. For those that do not know...that two pronged black fork is the washer fluid valve. It is held on by two screws about 3/4" apart. It has a small black plastic pushrod from the lever that pushes the valve diaphragm and lets pressurized fluid flow from one leg to the other and out through the washer jets.

So...look at the dimensions on this micro-switch. These are about $3.

Now imagine unscrewing and removing the forked pressure valve...and installing a small..about 1.25" wide bent piece of sheet metal. Screw it on using the existing screws. It holds the micro switch. You just need ...maybe...to modify or elongate the little plunger pin and you are in business.

The assembly would look like this:

This same micro switch...is so small....1.1" long. 0.63" wide and 0.4" thick...that it could fit inside of a modified headlight switch housing....or gut a window defroster switch...and screw this switch to the back.

Install a spring behind the know...and without detent balls inside of the switch....it will spring back after you release it. On the 1971 and earlier models this could fit right into the dash in place of the original dash mounted valve. Ray

If you´re replacing the late (72-74) switch with a new you can just use the black wire as seen in Ray´s picture. This wire was used in markets with factory electric windshield washer.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

See!....learn something every day here! Very Happy thank you!

I knew that late model lever assemblies had a plug and play ability to connect to an intermittent wiper timer relay but did not know they had the washer pump contact!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

You may want to add a relay to the circuit; microswitches may not reliably carry the typical pump current.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer pump switch Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
You may want to add a relay to the circuit; microswitches may not reliably carry the typical pump current.

Yep...They actually will. That exact part comes in a range from 0.5 amp to about 12 amps. All the same size and price. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: