Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

[SOLVED] Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly…???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly…??? Reply with quote

87 Westy, inline 4 with FAS ECU.

I added a temp gauge and somewhere I must have bumped something along the way when I installed the sender.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The van doesn't start properly (takes many cranks, vs the almost instantaneous starts I am used to) and it runs very roughly, will take no gas until it's warm but still doesn't feel right at all. Seems to stumble a bit at idle and the idle is high: at one point as I was idling to test the gauge, it went over 2000. Not usual at all.

I didn't disconnect anything to get power in the engine bay or anything, just tied into an existing ground. But I wonder if I did something when I took the cluster out (which in hindsight was unnecessary) or when I was running the signal wire under the body.

What should I look at, given that it starts and runs, after a fashion?

EDIT: sounds like it might have been coolant on the OG sender causing the ECU to get confused.

EDIT 2: VDO writes:
Quote:
Unfortunately we do not make a temp sensor that will fit in that style flange. The temp sensor you need for that gauge is a 287-22 ohm sensor. Here is a list of sensors to choose from. The sensor will have to match the ohms of the gauge

All of them seem to be NPT. So it looks like this was a waste of time. I don't think I can get a sender into the other receiver on the heat exchanger flange to monitor oil temps. And I don't have a lot of confidence in the existing coolant gauge. Maybe I can find a gauge that matches that sender if I can find out what range it uses.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:25 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Looking at this previous post of yours:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=707523&highlight=gauge

do you now have two temp gauges? If so, did you alter what appears to be the existing 4 pin temp sensor(s) wiring shown in your image below?

This image shows what appears to be the 4 pin temp sensor(s) that was (or is) supplying input to the temp gauge and ECU. It sounds to me like something has been altered at the wires providing temp input to the ECU.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

I didn't touch the existing gauge/sender and didn't add anything to the ECU. It's a signal wire to the gauge and then just 12V +/- to make it work. I must have buggered up something behind the dash or under the body, as best I can make out.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Ok. Ya, could be something got knocked around. Or, assuming the ground connection work is good......

If you disconnected the battery, maybe the throttle body needs to be aligned? I'm assuming the FAS stuff is OBD2:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
I'm assuming the FAS stuff is OBD2:

It's not. At least not on mine. There's an old (ca 2003) connector I have never used with maybe 3 wires.

Maybe the OG temp sender got mad and quit working…

[time passes…]

I took the new sender out, disconnected the battery, let it sit, put the sender plug back, and it started right away and sounded good. Reversed all those steps and tried every combination, short of removing the OG sender, and it's starting/running OK now. I wonder if rebooting the ECU (by disconnecting the battery) was helpful. I didn't do that initially because I didn't think of it when I removed the cluster I didn't need to remove in the first place.

Still not sure this is resolved. But it started, ran, was able to move in gear, so that's something. I think it is something to do with the ECU and what it's sensing which makes me wonder if the OG sender is flaky now. Given that I am only doing this so I know the coolant temp, after a boilover that never registered on the cluster, it's maybe worth pursuing. If it got that wrong, what is is telling the ECU? Shouldn't a boilover move the needle past halfway?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

I looked at old posts here, seems you likely have Tiico engine management so ya, as you say, likely OBD1 or something like that. However.....

FAS shows new Tiico throttle bodies. They appear to have the "motorized" throttle body. If your throttle body is the same and battery was disconnected, that might require that a TB alignment needs to be done. I bet the Tiico Yahoo forum has info on that.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

[time passes…]

Still not sure this is resolved. But it started, ran, was able to move in gear, so that's something. I think it is something to do with the ECU and what it's sensing which makes me wonder if the OG sender is flaky now. Given that I am only doing this so I know the coolant temp, after a boilover that never registered on the cluster, it's maybe worth pursuing. If it got that wrong, what is is telling the ECU? Shouldn't a boilover move the needle past halfway?

You edited while I typed. Wink

Ok. That's a clue. Yes. A hotter than normal engine should cause the gauge to move high but.... if coolant was really low when boil over happened, there may have been little to no coolant passing by the sensor. Or, if boil over was due to a blockage in coolant system, coolant could've remained at a "normal" temp at part of circuit sensor is at.

Something intermittent may be happening in the 2 wires from temp sensor to ECU. I doubt its the sensor thats at fault. It may even be dirty connections between connector and sensor. Jostling that connector could've caused the fault. The engine management is quite sensitive to voltage differences.

I see the logic of your thought, but assuming there isn't a short between each pair of wires from sensor housing to gauge and ECU, I highly doubt that the wires from the gauge portion of that sensor housing would also connect to, and provide an input to, the ECU. IOW, you could disconnect the gauge wires from that sensor(s) housing and the engine should run fine.

It's possible there is a connection between the temp gauge and ECU, but I kind of doubt it. A wiring diagram would be quite useful here.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

You edited while I typed. Wink

Ok. That's a clue. Yes. A hotter than normal engine should cause the gauge to move high but.... if coolant was really low when boil over happened, there may have been little to no coolant passing by the sensor. Or, if boil over was due to a blockage in coolant system, coolant could've remained at a "normal" temp at part of circuit sensor is at.

Something intermittent may be happening in the 2 wires from temp sensor to ECU. I doubt its the sensor thats at fault. It may even be dirty connections between connector and sensor. Jostling that connector could've caused the fault. The engine management is quite sensitive to voltage differences.

I see the logic of your thought, but assuming there isn't a short between each pair of wires from sensor housing to gauge and ECU, I highly doubt that the wires from the gauge portion of that sensor housing would also connect to, and provide an input to, the ECU. IOW, you could disconnect the gauge wires from that sensor(s) housing and the engine should run fine.

It's possible there is a connection between the temp gauge and ECU, but I kind of doubt it. A wiring diagram would be quite useful here.

Hmm. Coolant level was fine at the time of the boilover in May. I have been checking it since I replaced the dead pressure cap and all seems well. The pressure tank is full and the the overflow tank isn't.

The idea of dirty wires/a bad connection is also on my mind. When I opened the plug to add the new sender, the OG sender got doused in coolant. Not sure why that would cause a no/delayed start but I could see how a bad signal might cause it to run poorly. Perhaps some contact cleaner is in order. I just made a quick test run (1.5 mil round trip) and all seemed well, the gauge was creeping up. A good highway run is in order to really make it work…or some stop and go traffic that would provoke the fan. I don't have a lot of confidence in the OG sender.

I don't know anything about the throttle body but if it has to be fiddled with each time the power is removed, that could put it so far out of whack, I can't imagine.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Well, coolant works well enough to make the connection between the probes in the coolant tank so for sure. Given the angle and location of the 4 pin temp sensor, ya, maybe coolant seeped in and shorted out (completed the circuit) two or more pins. If that happened to the temp sensor input to ECU, the ECU would see near or zero Ohms which would really mess it up; it needs a resistance value as shown in the temp sensor graph. i.e. it needs to see open loop (cold engine) and closed loop resistance values.

Engine running, slowly move that set of wrapped wires to temp sensor(s). See if that causes a run issue. Or, ring them out with a meter while doing same.

Those wires to sensor look OE so each should have a small silicone seal on it where it enters the connector housing to keep water etc out. Easy to check. That said, coolant could've gotten in via the small openings the clip uses.

Neil.

silicone seal I referred to

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Quote:
Those wires to sensor look OE so each should have a small silicone seal on it where it enters the connector housing to keep water etc out. Easy to check. That said, coolant could've gotten in via the small openings the clip uses.

I think a little dab of something on there would be good, though a molded silicon boot would be preferred. What's recommended here? I'd put some Vaseline® on there if i had some to hand — after I spritz it with circuit cleaner.

So another outing and it ran fine. This is the tale o' the tape after a few miles of driving on surface streets.

A while later, the fan kicked on, even though the gauge was no higher than shown here. What is optimal operating temp for one of these? Am I right in guessing it's greater than 150°?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

If you are trying to use a VW gauge temp sender with an aftermarket temp gauge then you are not going to get an accurate gauge.
You need to use a temp sender meant for that gauge.

Mark
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

You may need to look into your thermostat, as that's a rather low operating temp. Personally, I think rather than doubling up the coolant temp, you could/should use a sender on the oil filter flange in order to monitor oil temps. On my TDI swap, I find that oil and coolant temps closely follow each other. My operating temps tend to stay in the 180-190F range. Even though that gauge says coolant temp, it could easily be used to monitor any drivetrain liquid. Mine has a switch to toggle between transmission and engine oil temps.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?

Last edited by Zeitgeist 13 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Quote:

I think a little dab of something on there would be good, though a molded silicon boot would be preferred. What's recommended here? I'd put some Vaseline® on there if i had some to hand — after I spritz it with circuit cleaner.

I've used red rtv sealant with no obvious ill effects. i.e. didn't react with wire case. But if the plug is present, no need to add sealant IMO.

FWIW, I'd added some dielectric grease to the outside of the hall sender connector on my 15º ABA. At one point, I had a nasty LH turn stall due to corrosion at the contacts. In hindsight, I have to wonder if sealing up that plug, only to retain any moisture that got in there, was a good idea.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You may need to look into your thermostat, as that's a rather low operating temp. Personally, I think rather than doubling up the coolant temp, you could/should use a sender on the oil filter flange in order to monitor oil temps. On my TDI swap, I find that oil and coolant temps closely follow each other. My operating temps tend to stay in the 180-190F range. Even though that gauge says coolant temp, it could easily be used to monitor any drivetrain liquid. Mine has a switch to toggle between transmission and engine oil temps.

I had wondered about oil temps as well as pressure but I didn't see a lot of chatter about it. That heat exchanger would be a perfect place for it. I like the idea of a switch to use the gauge for two senders.

Quote:
If you are trying to use a VW gauge temp sender with an aftermarket temp gauge then you are not going to get an accurate gauge.
You need to use a temp sender meant for that gauge.

I have no idea what I should get, in that case. This is spec'd for the Jetta MkIII which is what's in there. I don't recall if the gauge and sender came from the same vendor but I think they were offered together.

So what temp should toggle the fan?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Nowhere does that sender link say it is for a VDO 250 degree gauge.
The VW replacement sender you chose is for a stock VW gauge.

The rad fan turns on based on rad temp, not engine temp.
But of course the radiator isn't going to be hotter than the engine coolant that is reaching it.

There are a couple different heat range rad fan temp switches that could be in your rad so when the fan comes on varies.

Most VW engines use a 87c thermostat and that means it BEGINS to open at that temp. Your fan is coming on while your newly added gauge says the engine is still to cold for the thermostat to start to open. The rad doesn't get coolant until the thermostat opens. In other words your new gauge reading is nonsense, way low.

You need a VDO gauge sender, meant for a 250f VDO gauge. Sadly I don't see one that will slip right into that plastic VW hose flange.

Mark
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

You need a VDO gauge sender, meant for a 250f VDO gauge. Sadly I don't see one that will slip right into that plastic VW hose flange.

🤷🏻‍♂️

So what does VW use? This is all the information I had. This is the sender that is recommended for the MkIII Jetta.

Maybe I'll try my local VW dealer next week.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

The vendors who sell VDO aftermarket gauges will definitely have sending units for their gauges. VW actually used those gauges/sending units for Mk1 and Mk2 Scirocco, GTI, GLI and Cabriolet cars.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The vendors who sell VDO aftermarket gauges will definitely have sending units for their gauges. VW actually used those gauges/sending units for Mk1 and Mk2 Scirocco, GTI, GLI and Cabriolet cars.

🤷🏻‍♂️

That's what I thought I was buying. If anyone has an actual part number, that would be best. I checked before posting and what I have is what's recommended for that gauge. Or all that's available.

Here's the thing: the gauge is not the thermostat, that opens to allow coolant to flow to the radiator, or the thermoswitch that turns on the fan. And the gauge that came with the van is not more informative. It sits at plumb center while coolant is boiling off at the back. That's not ideal. Getting away from that was the object of this particular exercise. It seems like the gauges are not telling me what I need to know. Short of pulling over and dipping a thermometer into a pressurized cooling loop — and I am acquainted with the risks of that, from today — what are my options?

I'll call my local VW dealer on Monday. I doubt the parts desk is open tomorrow, since it's a Sunday.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

you really need to buy the sender and gauge as a pair.

however, they nearly all work on the same principle of resistance, which increases (or decreases) as the temperature changes. if you are lucky they'll have the same resistance spec - but that is pretty unlikely.

anyway, a cheap(ish) piece of equipment that is critical is an IR thermometer. about $40 and you can check to see how badly your gauges are lying to you.

also, with gauges, make sure you wire the power to something that switches off when the key is out. if the gauges stay up when the key is out, you've got some power drain there. that was killing my battery slowly - damn the PO and his electrical aspirations.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Added temp gauge, van now starts/runs poorly: what did I do? Reply with quote

Hi Paul. A lot has gotten covered here. The wiring diagram for your Tiico engine is available at the Tiico Yahoo group. The four pin connector has two temp sensors in it one for the ECU and one for the temperature gauge. They are completely independent of each other. So if your running issues reappear It must be a bad conction (probably a ground wire). All the Tiico wiring is in the back so your dashboard work should have no effect on how it runs unless it doesn’t run at all because of no keyed power. I ck my temp gauge anytime I do cooling system work. I run my van at 180f or 82 Celsius that’s a little on the cold side so I can leave my cap off with a thermometer in cooling tank and watch the temp and when the thermostat opens. If you can verify what temp goes with what reading on your gauge you could just remark the gauge and continue on. I my case my second temp gauge is oil temp and that should follow pretty closely to water temp. The Tiico ECU is not really obd 1 or 2 it is pretty much all by its self. It only works with Ross tec software or vag tool to the best of my knowledge. The fuel management system is supposed to set its self up on every engine start so you should not have to set anything up after the battery has been disconnected. At lest I never have. I hope some of this is helpful. John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: