Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruceduykers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

A week or so ago, I wrote about a 66 vw bug with a Mofoco new engine. I believe I said rebuilt engine which it wasn’t. It was a brand new engine Roy Hennings built for the previous owner. Since then I got some very negative replies and I need to set the record straight.
First, my mechanic who put the engine in, has worked on many Porsche, Mercedes Benz, and air-cooled engines, including aircraft engines. He knows what he’s doing on vw engines as he’s rebuilt many.
Also, now, after reading many comments about Mofoco and talking to Roy personally, I know he has been in the business a long time and is a pro too. All of this work for my beetle sedan was done before I bought it.
I didn’t submit my first post wanting anything more than advice on a high performance engine & what you might have heard about, pro or con, and, boy, did I get an earful!
Roy has been kind enough to see if he can solve the problem. I appreciate that a lot because right now I have a beautuful 66 vw that I can’t drive.
I meant no malice to Roy and Mofoco or to the mechanic who worked long hours with Roy’s input. I’ve had 5 classic bugs & 2 classic Westphalias, all with original engines so having a high performance engine is new to me.
Perhaps the older couple who ordered the new engine 4 years ago did something wrong. They drove it very little. I hope to own this 66 a long time and I’m sure we’ll solve it with Roy’s expertise.
I thank most of you for your comments. The rest of you who had mean things to say, chill out. Bruce
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Bravo to you for following up. Keep us informed
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Bravo to you for following up. Keep us informed

X2
Locked thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=707231&highlight=

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Much better than the profanity ridden PM you sent me. Kudos for doing the right thing and realizing your mistake. I’m sure Roy appreciates it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

I think all vendors appreciate an opportunity to look at, address or correct an issue with their product before they get blasted on the internet, YELP or elsewhere.

Not many people or businesses are error proof. Another kudo's for Roy to step up and look at this engine that he's really not obligated to do.

This demonstrates excellent customer service and ownership that most look for from individuals or businesses when deciding to spend their hard earned money.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

When you find out, do let us know why the engine failed.

You bought a new bug, the engine failed, you were understandably upset. No problem with that. Who among us wouldn’t be pissed.

The issue for some of us was simply that we thought you had jumped the gun with the issue—before the engine builder had a chance to deal with the problem.

I’m not down on hearing about complaints. In fact, I want to hear about any vendor who screws over a member here. I just like to hear about it when they won’t stand behind their product. In Roy’s case, according to the information you provided in your original thread, he seemed to be willing to work with you. And then some.

Hopefully, it’ll all work out to your satisfaction.

Good luck,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

bruceduykers wrote:

I didn’t submit my first post wanting anything more than advice on a high performance engine & what you might have heard about, pro or con, and, boy, did I get an earful!

In your first post, you immediately started bashing a vendor, that was willing to try to help you out with an engine that was no longer in warranty due to elapsed time AND the fact that you were NOT the original purchaser, BEFORE they could even inspect it.

You bought a car, from an individual, with no warranty. Why would you hold an engine builder responsible when you were not the one who purchased it?
These cars haven’t had warranty coverage for almost half a century, shit is going to fail & you will need to be prepared to fix it.

Sharp64 wrote:
Much better than the profanity ridden PM you sent me.

At least you were able to read your PM, all I got was some obviously angry, incoherent, typo riddled mumblings that I think eluded to him not coming back to The Samba. I’ll just chalk it up to the Ambien.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Come on, guys. I think the OP was blown away, thinking he’d bought a nice bug with a barely-used engine ... and that engine ended up not working out they way he’d anticipated. We’ve all gotten pissed and said things in anger.

The OP sent me a PM a few days ago, and admitted he was wrong. That’s enough for me, since sometimes I’ve been accused of not making a nice first impression Rolling Eyes .

So, let’s let it ride, start fresh, and see WTF happened to that engine. My bet is something is not up to snuff, regarding the previous owner’s account, mismanagement, funky maintenance, or the standard P.O. hacking. But, hey, I’m curious to find out the scoop. Hopefully, we’ll know in a few weeks.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Well, here is the update on this "situation"

First, the engine has been fixed, test run, tuned and shipped back out to the customer.

During disassembly, I found many disturbing things that I haven't really seen before and don't make a lot of sense.

First, there was burned oil/fuel residue on each cylinder head outside of each spark plug hole, like all the plugs were loose when it was running. The residue was burned onto the heads so much that even my pressure washer and sonic cleaner couldn't get it off.

Second, the intake ports on both heads were completely perfectly clean, like the motor never ran.

Third, some of the valves had .200" clearance between the adjuster and the head of the valve.

I have pictures of all of this and can post if you would like.

Once we got the engine apart, the cam was in fact broken. It broke right at the base of the cam above the gear. I've seen plenty of broken cams in my life but the odd thing about this was that there was no other damage, no excessively worn lobes, no broken teeth on the gear at all. I honestly can't explain why the cam broke. The rest of the things I found were just strange. So, I changed the bearings, replaced the cam and lifters and put it all back together.

Next I got it on the test stand, I set the timing and went to start it but it would only sputter a little. I checked the carb settings(34 pict 3) and the large screw was only out a 1/2 turn while the small screw was out 4 1/2 turns. I reset them to 2 1/2 and 2 turns respectively and boom, started right up and ran like a champ.

What is even more strange is that when I originally built this engine 3 1/2 years ago, I test ran it like normal, sent a video and then sent the engine out. The mechanic called me and said it didn't run right(couldn't explain it any better than that) and that it had to be the carb. After a bunch of back and forth, he sent me the carb back and I drop shipped him a new carb. He installed it and set it up. I also got the paperwork from the previous owners and in his notes, he states to do the initial valve adjustment at 1000 miles. Right before the car was sold, I talked to the mechanic and he stated that it was loud and never ran right. I asked if he ever did a valve adjustment and he said no. I told him to adjust them to .004", he did and then said everything ran great.

I honestly can't speculate what happened exactly, why it happened or who did it it but the evidence I saw of how the engine was set up when I got it was very wrong. The mechanic has now resorted to emailing me 4-5 times a day accusing me of leaving the spark plugs loose when I shipped it and causing all the problems. That obviously makes no sense and I had to resort to telling the customer that I will not warranty any of my work if he has the same mechanic install the engine.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

So lemme see if I have this right...

1) You rebuilt it almost four years ago.
2) You have video proof it was running well when shipped.
3) It was driven 1800 miles without reported problems.
4) Somewhere along the line the camshaft broke.
5) Apparently the mechanic tried to fix things.
6) Car was sold.
7) Car "dies" soon after.
8) You offer to fix it free.
The rest is speculation and forensic teardown. Here is my take, FWIW:

I would feel upset if it was my car, but with an offer of free repair I would have given Roy a chance. Sounds like he came through on his promise.

The real test of character is not whether someone is perfect (no one is), but rather how he deals with his failures (and I point out it is by no means established that it was Roy's failure that caused this).

A shop that stands behind their work and is honest about it is the best kind of shop, where you can buy with confidence.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

I got a great engine guy near me, but if he retires, I think I will give MOFOCO a shot, Seems like a good business.

Bug On!

lets see some photos of your 66!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Kudos to Roy for being a stand up guy. We need more people like that in this industry instead of the "We've never had that problem before" I've gotten from a couple of very well known shops.

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

6) Car was sold.
8) You offer to fix it free.

I would feel upset if it was my car, but with an offer of free repair I would have given Roy a chance. Sounds like he came through on his promise.

The real test of character is not whether someone is perfect (no one is), but rather how he deals with his failures (and I point out it is by no means established that it was Roy's failure that caused this).

A shop that stands behind their work and is honest about it is the best kind of shop, where you can buy with confidence.

Just to be clear, I did charge him for the parts but did all the labor for free as he was the second owner and it was also 3 1/2 years old. My standard warranty is for one year, unlimited miles for the original owner only.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Awesome. Cool
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

and crickets….Does truly show the depth of character of the OP doesn't it?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

6) Car was sold.
Cool You offer to fix it free.

Just to be clear, I did charge him for the parts but did all the labor for free as he was the second owner and it was also 3 1/2 years old. My standard warranty is for one year, unlimited miles for the original owner only.

This is excellent customer service Roy which is so rare in the classic VW world these days. Kudo's for you to tear it back down and fix it. If I was the current owner, I'd feel guilty not paying you something for your labor.

Curios what brand of Cam that was that broke and your opinion on it's failure? Poor casting?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

I have not had the pleasure of dealing with Roy, but 21 years ago I bought an
engine from his father Randy. There were some problems, but MOFOCO stood behind their work. It is great to see that Roy is carrying on the family tradition of fairness. Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

Certainly he didn’t have to lift a finger to service an out of warranty engine but by doing so created good will and it’s safe to say money can’t buy this type of positive advertising. Win win for all😀
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

This goes back to what I have said repeatedly on here. If you have a problem with a supplier, work with them first before you vent on here and create a shit storm of stuff.

I have had good success with pretty much everyone I have dealt with, but once in a while something goes wrong. Almost every time, I have had good resolution with the supplier and have no complaints. I have had one very negative experience, but have kept comments to a minimum unless someone PM'd me asking for details.

Not picking on the OP. This kind of thing happens way too often on here and you can waste a lot of peoples time and energy as well as hurt the reputation of a supplier, when it may not be called for.

And I applaud Roy for his actions. He didn't have to do anything in this situation, but he did what he felt was right. I run into similar things at my shop on occasion and you end up eating a lot of costs to make things right just because its the right thing to do.

Just my 2 cents.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco engine 66 vw corrections Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
This goes back to what I have said repeatedly on here. If you have a problem with a supplier, work with them first before you vent on here and create a shit storm of stuff.

This goes for everything. If the plumber leaves and there's still a leak 2 days later: contact the plumber !!! And - as Yul Brynner said: Etc., etc., etc. !!!

And pay with a credit card - and if there's no resolution, contact the credit card company and dispute the charges, like you paid for a working part or a repair, and anything else is unjust enrichment.

I got a "repair" charge for a GM sunroof not closing issue refunded from GM (did not have to go the credit card dispute route) because the GM dealer was unable to repair the sunroof and actually declared "we have no idea what was wrong" !!! Some manufacturers like Lexus would have replaced the entire sunroof at no charge just so there's not an unsatisfied customer making waves, better for business in the long run...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: