Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At what point does less become more?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
at what point do you surrender to your "desires" and face reality?

when things become an obligation, it isn't fun anymore. right now, my wife and I have 8 cars registered and insured. we are far from "rich" but do ok. we can't drive all 8....plus keeping them all maintained is a chore as well.

I can fart and hit 40, so I get where you're coming from. I am in the process of simplifying things as well. 10 years ago, I wanted to be the "hero" and have all this crap tip-top...but now....meh...I'd rather do other things.

all of the parts I have are getting gone thru and if it isn't pertinent to what I own...it's gone. no needs to have 13 slinging doors for a bay, 21 steering columns etc....time to move this stuff down the line and invest in something that will make $$...or just have some fun with the family

I would pick the 2 you like, then dump the rest. life gets better when you don't have a 10 year back log of "I'm gonna get to it" type projects. plus, if you have too much stuff and your family would be overwhelmed when you pass they will either sell it for pennies on the dollar...or scrap it. no one will care about this stuff like you do...so blow it out, take the loot and make new memories with the family...don't stress about the "woulda-coulda-shoulda" stuff.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

And... if you are not careful you end up with everybody else's dream projects in your yard and shop too!

Ask me how I know.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

The older I get the easier it is to throw shit away.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Same here. I am 65 and getting tired of dealing with old cars. The 69 Westfalia is the sort-of daily driver. Runs fine but the rust is starting to accelerate. The 67 single cab runs but sits in the back yard really needing body work. We'd like to get a more modern traveling vehicle and are looking at Eurovans. Both air cooled buses may go soon.
I also have another project. My brother's 64 Suzuki 80 with 1200 miles. I learned to ride on it in 1968. Brother was moving and offfered it to me in 2008. It has sat on the side of our house since then. I got all the needed parts off eBay but no action.
I really need to clear the crap out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I admit to being a bit long in the tooth too and have these cars all vying for my attention. '74 Westy, '69 7 passenger Bus, '70 411 square back, '71 type 3 square back, '76 Rabbit, '92 Jetta 2 door, '83 944, '85 944, Manx copy, sand rail and 3 old tractors.

There is a guy coming Saturday for the Westy… I wonder if he would take the Bus too...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

There sure are a lot of old people here.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Yeah, as my grandfather used to say, the alternative is unacceptable.

I have 2 mg midgets that need to be moved along, cause I have finally admitted to myself I am never going to get to them, and I'd rather focus on the '59.
Meanwhile, the barn needs a roof and sill work, the house paint, and a bathroom to redo so time management is a challenge.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

You need to get to this stage of life to realize that time is a finite thing and one needs to develop a time "budget" just like a financial budget. Prioritize and clean out the stuff on the lower shelf.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Project Cars are like a wife or a girlfriend, more than one at a time will get you into trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I recently turned 50 and picked up another Bug. Makes 3 currently. My 63 has been completed for 17 years (3 year MAJOR project). Of course, I’ve changed things on it and freshened up some things over the years.

Been working on my 62 for 12 years. Constantly doing things to it and not sure it will ever be done, but I’ve been driving it since I got it with periods of down time for major metal work.

As I’ve gotten older, my projects need less and less. And I don’t feel the need to keep them. I’ll never sell my 63 (lifetime sentimental value) and most likely never my 62 either (too much of myself in it).

I got a 64 Ghia for free once. It was a total rust bucket barn find. I started gathering parts and decided I didn’t want to go through that extensive of a project again. So I sold it for exactly what I had in it and parts ($400). Passed it along to another VW enthusiast.

I see the merit of simplifying and down sizing. I like having a project, but just one at a time. And no more total disaster restorations. I like ones I can drive and enjoy as I do things over time.

As my time is limited with work and family, I’ve pretty much given up Golf this year. Too many other things I’d rather do. I can see me getting to a point I’m no longer interested in projects. Just enjoying the 2 I’ll keep forever and give to my kids.
63 Sunroof Bug, Former Herbie, Dad bought in 66
79 Super Beetle Convertible, OG paint and interior
69 Weekender Bus
77 Bay Window Bus, OG paint
69 Bug Convertible - SOLD
71 Super Beetle Vert - SOLD
64 Karmann-Ghia, barn find - SOLD
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
How many of us have taken on projects but put them on the back burner having every intention to "get to it one day", but as time rolls on that project sits there and reality slowly starts to creep in that maybe that project won't get done? Like many of us on this forum I have multiple Bugs with the desire to get them all up and running at some point. I have 3, 78 vert, 74 SB & a 61 ragtop. The 74 has been a 5 year body off restoration with the engine rebuild from Hell. That topic is in another forum. I had planned to repaint the 78 this past summer but the 74 took up all my time so now I don't know when that will get done. The 61 sits there waiting for me but so many other things just keep coming along that the 61 keeps getting pushed back and I'm starting to seriously question myself if I will ever find the time to do it. I love the look of the early 60's Bugs which is why I have such a hard time giving up on the 61. Quite a few guys would buy it from me in a heartbeat but I hate admitting defeat. I guess my question is, especially to guys like me who are on the backside of 50, at what point do you surrender to your "desires" and face reality?

I think your health determines that. I know guys in poor health at 65 that are done, and other guys at 75-80 still taking on and doing projects that are still in pretty good shape. The older ones say the projects keep them going-something for them to shoot for.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Finances play a big roll too!
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I actually managed to get rid of one project Westfalia that I really wanted to do, but the time and $$$ just are not going to happen. My Dad has done all my body and paint work in the past; now his advancing age has made that no longer possible. I know at this stage in life, I will never have the cash to pay for good body and paint work, and I don't have the patience or skill to learn it. A bummer as I had several more future projects lined up, but reality is they might be let go as well... At least I acquired most of this stuff so long ago that it was dirt cheap. As others have mentioned, a good clean out of extra stuff can sometimes do wonders to help focus on better, simpler projects...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
iowegian wrote:

You need to get to this stage of life to realize that time is a finite thing and one needs to develop a time "budget" just like a financial budget. Prioritize and clean out the stuff on the lower shelf.

Exactly. That happened to me when I turned 50, which was 6 years ago. It then dawned on me that there was more in my rear view mirror then out my windshield, and as you said, you realize that time is a finite thing and you want to make the best of what you have left. You can recoup money but not time.

Lots of great responses on this topic. I've learned that I'm not alone in taking on more then what I should.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, but also different. I currently have 3 hobby vehicles. A 64 that got me back into the hobby after nearly 30 years out of it. A dunebuggy that I have always wanted, but will need a significant amount of work to make it the way I want it. And a 60 that I picked up this spring and have been dumping crap tons of $$ into. My issue arises that I am sentimental about them and want to keep all three, but I only have a 2 car garage and an HOA that has already sent me a letter complaining about "engine revving" coming from my property. Rolling Eyes I have to have a storage unit that I rotate the 64 and dune buggy in and out of, but it becomes cumbersome. While the 64 isn't my dream car anymore, I still have dreams for it and its hard to let go. I'm finally nearing completion of the engine that I've been building to stuff into it the last 2 years, but my smarter half realizes that this is probably a dumb idea dumping more money into a car that most likely will end up back in the storage unit sitting for a good part of the year. So should I sell it or the DB? I really love the DB, but its soooooo impractical and without some fairly significant mods that would take it off the road for at least a year, its only a 2 seater car. And then there's the money... While the last couple of years has been good for me, with my job/industry that can and has changed on a dime over the years. Last thing I need to do is get in the middle of a serious project and the money dries up. Then you add in that the wife and daughter love the DB, yet only one at a time can be in it. I also REALLY want to repaint the 60 and get a new headliner installed. So there's that. To further add complexity, I am only recently (3 years) been able to get back into the hobby after I divested myself of 140lbs of useless money siphoning weight 5 years ago. So I feel like I'm having to make up for lost time. Yet at 50 I see that time is running out so to speak. I already make lots of fun noises getting up from under the car and can imagine its only going to get worse.

And I still find myself cruising the classifieds, FB, and CL for that next one...

In a nutshell, you're not alone.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: