Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW or Porsche engine?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VJL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Someone saw my 77 beetle and said it had a Porsche engine and not a VW engine it does no have a serial # below the generator stand.

What is the surest way to tell?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

Everyone you meet knows someone that has or has put a Porsche engine in their VW. Rolling Eyes

Very few actually exist.

Some of the VWs had engines similar to a few Porsche models, most commonly, the 1972 & up Bus had the Type IV engine that was used with some internal differences in the 914.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

take a pic of it, post it here
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Post some pictures.

It seems most people I meet, "had an uncle that used to have one of those, but his had a Porsche engine in it." After hearing so many of these stories I figure eventually I'll actually see one of these cars in person.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Most people are clueless.

If the base of the generator stand is level, it's a VW, if it's angled its a Porsche.

VW
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Porsche

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Unless it's a type 4 Porsche engine...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Type 4 is not a Porsche engine, there are differences between a Type 4 and a 914.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Friend has a late 50's 356, I ask about his VW engine whenever I see him in it.
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Unless its a 914-6 model, all 914's had a vw type 4 engine.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

My goofy theory- yours still has all the Fuel Injection plumbing and such. Some folks might think that's way too complex to be a VW engine. Smile

Or worse, the 'someone' is the seller- and he just frosted a noob. Shocked

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

And don't forget the Porsche 912 had a VW engine in it too just like the 914!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

The Very first Porsches used the two piece VW case before they designed their own three piece case, along with beams, and brakes, wheels etc..

The type 4 engine was a joint engine design between the VW group and Porsche as the 914 also was. Type 4 engine was first used in 1968. The engine first used in the type 4 or 411 in 1968 in Europe, refined later for the 412. The 1.7 & 2.0 was used in the 914 Porsche in the U.S. only. In Europe they were badged as VW's. In Germany the 914-6 was the only car badged as a Porsche and used the small 911 engine.

With the demise of the 914 and to fill a marketing gap, Porsche made a one year only release of the 912 in 1976 called the 912E. This 9 series Porsche used the Type 4 engine, the "E" means Einspritzer or fuel injection.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:
Type 4 is not a Porsche engine, there are differences between a Type 4 and a 914.
Yes, I know, but many people refer to them as such.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:
Yes, I know, but many people refer to them as such.

Many do because it makes them "think" its more than what is actually is.

I can't tell you how many people think my engine is a Porsche engine when they see the dual carbs. I tell them it's a VW and why would I want to spend 4 times as much and have less horse power.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:

Only in the bus for the most part. The bus version of the type 4 engine was a detuned mess. Functional in its configuration...for the bus....but nothing like what came in the 411/412/914.

The 1.7L and 1.8L in the 411, 412 and 914....were factually identical down to the last part number.....same cam, pistons, compression, timing, fuel system....performance level....even case series codes.

The only difference were sheet metal and exhaust manifolds for mid-engine mounting.

The only "Porsche only" engine was the 2.0L 914 engine.

So yes......if your bus has a 1.7 or 1.8 engine transplanted from a 411 or 412.....it could easily be said to be a Porsche 914 engine.....but still...not really...only in the fact that its case number stamping position will be in the wrong place.....details, details.

That being said.....a 1.7 or 1.8 from a 411/412/914.....is not a great choice for a bus. Wrong engine spec for a 4000 lb box on wheels. Short life, hot running....in general. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Ray, I knew the Bus engine had a number if different parts but dudn't know the 411/412 was identical. The 914 has sodium exhaust valves, did the 411/412 also have them?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I can't tell you how many people think my engine is a Porsche engine when they see the dual carbs. I tell them it's a VW and why would I want to spend 4 times as much and have less horse power.

The same people that are confused about Porsche are the same ones that mispronounce the name. Used to have a shirt which read “Porsche is a two syllable word” it confused the shit out of people. Maybe ignorance really is bliss. Very Happy
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

The same people that are confused about Porsche are the same ones that mispronounce the name. Used to have a shirt which read “Porsche is a two syllable word” it confused the shit out of people. Maybe ignorance really is bliss. Very Happy
Oh my gosh. I was talking to a buddy and I said Porsche, but pronounced it Por-Shuh, and he said "it's Porsche. Pronounced porsh" I said that his name is Ferdinand Porsche (Por-Shuh) and he said "but the car is a Porsche (porsh).
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Link

Fuchs = Fooks

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW or Porsche engine? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Link

Fuchs = Fooks

Yeah, I don't like it when people refer to my cab as a "Porsh".
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: