Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end rebuild.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

If you were doing a frame off restoration of a 1970 bug.
Which front suspension parts would you replace?

And a month from now, I'll be asking which rear end parts would you replace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zmichael84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

All of it! Or, inspect what you've got, then replace accordingly. But, most likely will be:

Upper & Lower Ball Joints
Inner & Outer Tie Rod Ends
Steering Damper
Shocks
Sway Bar Bushings

Inspect Torsion Arms for cracks/damage/wear
Inspect Spindles for cracks/damage/wear
Inspect Wheel Bearings, or just replace.
Inspect Front Beam Bushings for dry/cracked/torn
Clean, Inspect, Re-Grease front beam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

I meant to post these earlier.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bill Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

I was thinking about rebuilding as much as I can before welding on pans...Is that a good idea?
Bill Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

zmichael84 wrote:
All of it! Or, inspect what you've got, then replace accordingly. But, most likely will be:

Upper & Lower Ball Joints
Inner & Outer Tie Rod Ends
Steering Damper
Shocks
Sway Bar Bushings

Inspect Torsion Arms for cracks/damage/wear
Inspect Spindles for cracks/damage/wear
Inspect Wheel Bearings, or just replace.
Inspect Front Beam Bushings for dry/cracked/torn
Clean, Inspect, Re-Grease front beam

Thanks... $500 order. Not too bad!
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

Just my perspective but for me I wanted every tired old component to be replaced for a complete restoration. I wanted a "new" bug when I was done. So every wear part on front and rear suspension got replaced. I only wanted to do it once. I'll admit thpugh that I did leave the rear control arm bushings and of course I would up coming back to do them. Happens every time I cut a corner....
I've also found that marginal parts may be ok combined with other marginal parts but when new parts are installed those marginal parts don't work that great anymore.
Anyway your thoughts may differ - just my comment based on buildimg a number of frame offs.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
Just my perspective but for me I wanted every tired old component to be replaced for a complete restoration. I wanted a "new" bug when I was done. So every wear part on front and rear suspension got replaced. I only wanted to do it once. I'll admit thpugh that I did leave the rear control arm bushings and of course I would up coming back to do them. Happens every time I cut a corner....
I've also found that marginal parts may be ok combined with other marginal parts but when new parts are installed those marginal parts don't work that great anymore.
Anyway your thoughts may differ - just my comment based on buildimg a number of frame offs.

^^^
In total agreement!
Read my signature line quote. Then move forward with the knowledge that you have REALLY EASY access right now!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

I'll throw a wrench in your thoughts.

Only replace what's worn or out of spec. Understand that most aftermarket parts are nowhere near the quality of the original VW parts. My 67 bug has roughly 160k miles on it. The ball joints were worn too much and they were replaced with the highest quality joints I could find at the time. Replacing the steering damper is usually needed too. All four tie rods on this bug are original to the car. No play at all. All have the VW logo on them with perfect boots. I'll run them until they show play.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Bill Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the input.
If I remember correctly you guys recommend urethane seals/bushings?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

Bill Bug wrote:
Thanks again for all the input.
If I remember correctly you guys recommend urethane seals/bushings?

I do not! Opposed, vehemently! Well, unless you like, squeak, squeak, squeaky, squeak, squeak! Then repeat for the remainder of the drive!

Urethane is not meant to be used as a bearing surface. Just saying.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bill Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end rebuild. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Urethane is not meant to be used as a bearing surface. Just saying.

Copy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: