Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheels, Tyres and Sizes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kymmitsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Wheels, Tyres and Sizes Reply with quote

Wonder if someone can point me the right direction here

I am wanting to change my wheels to widen Steels on my 71 Standard Bug. Not lowered.

I was at a swap meet a month or so ago bought a set

Rears = 235/60/R14
Front = 185/60/R14

Luckily they were cheap ($100) because the rears stick about 2cm ( ~ 1" or so ) past the guard so they fit ok but the first bump I hit Im sure they wouldnt clear and will hit it.

I am looking at another set - 215/65/14 - Offset according to the seller is +16.

I know you can work out the offset you measure total guard width, inner guard to hub, front of guard to hub - but how do you accomodate for axle travel??

Surely there must be a method / or better still a table somewhere that would take the guess work from this?
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tyres and Sizes Reply with quote

It's going to be impossible to tell you if the tire will rub, unless we also know the section width of the tire you plan to use.

You write that you have a set of wheels, but you're giving us tire sizes, not wheel sizes. You have to figure out the back-spacing of the wheels you have (easy enough to measure) before anything useful can be calculated or even guessed at.
kymmitsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tyres and Sizes Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It's going to be impossible to tell you if the tire will rub, unless we also know the section width of the tire you plan to use.

You write that you have a set of wheels, but you're giving us tire sizes, not wheel sizes. You have to figure out the back-spacing of the wheels you have (easy enough to measure) before anything useful can be calculated or even guessed at.

Thanks for the reply - I cant measure the wheels, I will today - I have already yet however from the Ad of the Wheels I am also looking at

PCD: 4x130
Offset: 14x6 with a 105 back space or +16
Tyres 215/65/14

Is that the information you were referring to?
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels, Tyres and Sizes Reply with quote

im fairly sure 215/65 will still rub with a standard offset without stiffer springs. 215/60s will not however
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: