Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy? **EDIT** We bought it! Newby questions.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

From the Rockies west, prices will always have a chance of being better, with more vans to choose from. To the east of that, owners seem to want more of a premium for their rare van, if it’s in decent condition. The best place to buy is in the PNW, in my opinion.

But seriously, you can’t be blind to the number of vr6 autos that get rebuilt on a regular basis. They don’t all go bad, but it’s often enough to not ignore.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

You should evaluate transmission condition on any used car purchase - but Ill agree the bill on a T4 is probably 2x over a T3 or T2, so the evaluation should be even more careful.

IN the US, all of these cars are 15 years +, most have had a couple of owners, which invariably changes the maintenance dynamic.

Anecdotally, there seems to be many more EVC trans failure stories than MV trans failures, which makes sense on a weight basis alone.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Transmission is not a “ weak spot” on these cars, the bias is to people who get taken buying a cheap T4 that has a blown trans at 200k

A cared for T4 auto trans lasts 250k miles

I totally agree. I've had T4s come through the shop with very low KM but clearly seen miscare while other KM units that the trans shifts exactly as it should. Proper fluid and regular changes is cheap insurance that many ignore.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

I looked over the 2002 yesterday. It is really nice. Not a scratch.
We are in the serious evaluation stage now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

Nice van, probably too much $ but still if you want it then it's worth it to you and that is quite enough.

Think about the bed. Lower is too small for both of us and we are not large. I sleep in the upper bunk, same size as lower, nice view, ventilation and comfortable. But, you can't sit up! As a result it's awkward to crawl up there or do anything but sleep. Spending a third of the year in the van that is my biggest complaint.

It will cost more than you think to keep up but wtf...
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

Well we just agreed on price. We had a pre-purchase inspection done and they found that the engine & transmission mounts were gone. That cost (and a trans cooler) factored into the price.
We are arranging payment and pickup details now.

The mounts and the cooler we may have done before we bringing it home. I'll see about the thermo cover and that distribution pipe (crack pipe?) at the same time.

Thanks for the comments and advice.
tweeter wrote:
It will cost more than you think to keep up but wtf..

I hope not.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

Welcome to the EuroBus club. The lift from T4 from T3 isn’t as big as fromT2 to T3 but it’s still a lift. I still can’t replace my 20 mpg daily driver, college hauler, boat Hau;er, camper, project Hauler
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? (Once again) Newby parts question. Reply with quote

Bought it yesterday. It is currently at Mike's Foreign in Anaheim to have the engine & trans mounts replaced and to install the GoWesty Transmission cooler. We'll bring it home to San Diego next week.
Wife: "Sure you're not having second thoughts?"
Me: "Second thoughts? How about 14th thoughts?"

I'll start a thread on it in a bit...
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? **EDIT** We bought it! Newby questions. Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase! Looking forward to seeing your new ride. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? **EDIT** We bought it! Newby questions. Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:

Thanks! Well it is an EV-C, so you know the color is white.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? **EDIT** We bought it! Newby questions. Reply with quote

Congratulations.

SUCKER! JK. Laughing Have a good time with it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy? **EDIT** We bought it! Newby questions. Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
IdeaNerd wrote:

Thanks! Well it is an EV-C, so you know the color is white.

Congrats. After being out of VW's for a while I preferred the EVC for the extra interior length, onboard water, furnace, the amenities. Everything except bodily functions is available inside in poor weather. The furnace is strong and surprisingly uses very little propane. Outside shower is a very nice feature.

Even bodily functions out in the boonies in poor weather are workable with a port-a-potty under the awning. A full-length Fiamma F45 is about $800, mount the legs on the body for heavy winds.

The 2002 EVC should have ONLY traction control (EDL, Electronic Differential Lock, ABS activated), doesn't have the full suite of VW's ESP (Electronic Stability Program). Here's a good read about the 2001+ Eurovans - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UwjvsNjTMlWGVPem44akYzQUk/view

The low-speed traction control (EDL) does work well in my experience, true 2WD. You can add an autotrans dipstick from Eurocampers, that is quite handy. Enjoy.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: