Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Better universal starter switch
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

Hello fellow vw nutz,

I'm wiring a new buggy build and have come to my wits end.
The 3 position 30amp universal starter switch is very difficult to turn when secured to the panel. I've tried another switch h with the same results.
Any suggestions on another keyed option?
As always, I am ever so thankful for assistance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

Try to find one not made in China.... Look at automotive speciality website specially ones that deal in commercial level stuff and not local ripoff parts stores...

http://waytekwire.com
http://delcity.net

Also check out some of the web pages for companies like American Auto Wire or Ron Francis or ?????, who specialize in automotive kit type wires looms and stuff.... Maybe Speedway Motors...

Also look at key, good switch will have "real" looking key, funky switch will have bizarre looking key...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

Go to you local tractor dealer.

You can usually find a universal keyed starter switch there and try before you buy.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

You can also use a barrel key universal for a chopper which I did on my rail, then just wire in one of those fancy light up starter buttons. ..the barrel key once turned stays locked in place until it's back in the off position, the one I used was a off-on-acc. position switch...the quality ones come weather proof with rubber around the switch and about 6-8" of wire leads. ..I believe that it was only like 16 bucks.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

I also went to my local Tractor supply place and bought a good universal keyed switch.....Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

I picked up a nice switch from a West Marine. Solid brass exterior, chromed brass escutcheon, screw on terminals, no plastic. It feels nice and solid and the key click feels very smooth. Since it is made for a boat, it should handle the weather.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,196...witch,4700
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Better universal starter switch Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
You can also use a barrel key universal for a chopper which I did on my rail, then just wire in one of those fancy light up starter buttons. ..the barrel key once turned stays locked in place until it's back in the off position, the one I used was a off-on-acc. position switch...the quality ones come weather proof with rubber around the switch and about 6-8" of wire leads. ..I believe that it was only like 16 bucks.

Is it wired the same as the universal switch? Hate to ask but would you mind sending me how you wired it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: