Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Vanagon, a Highschooler, and a Passion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

can i borrow $170.00

That's about the cost of 4 tanks of gas. These aren't the most economical vehicles to be driving in the first place.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback. Id really like to put a manual tranny in it (it was originally a manual but a PO switched it to automatic), as that's just what i'm used to buy at the moment I haven't spotted any on the local craigslist.

Will definitely be the coolest car in the parking lot. At the moment I drive a 65 Baja bug to school everyday, that one is atleast a running project.

Id really like to transplant a westy top on top this one if anyone has any leads on one.

Thanks again to everyone for the kindness.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

For those who were interested, here's some progress pics.

The rear passenger's side was rear ended and repair, though painted the wrong color:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the original engine that I pulled, all tripped down. Heads were removed by Ole Volks Home here in Bend.

Here's the franken-engine:

Interior isn't bad, just needs a good clean, but I wanna get it moving first before working on cosmetics.

Cleaned engine compartment:

Parts that still need to be put on:
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Update:

Got the rest of the exhaust piping on. Mounted the heat shield. Fuel lines are all hooked up now and the distributor cables have been plugged in. Maybe have the engine in by the end of the month?? We'll see.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

This is fun. Looking forward to more.

Set target dates, strive to meet them and remember it’s not the end of the world if you miss one or two, esp. if it’s for s good reason like helping family/friends or getting good grades. More importantly, do what you want. (Didn’t you come here for advice? Smile )

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

looks like either you or the person's garage you're at has a lot of 'deep' crap haning on the walls like manifolds and such. you're the right owner for this van.

i want to agree whole-heartedly on what jimf909 wrote about target dates... i used to stress about the time i was taking to finish a job based on my internal estimate. then, as an old fart, i've come to just tell my self it'll take precisely how long it takes to do the job. a rear brake job can expand into days instead of hours but try to stay with the Zen of the job. i know this is thrown out the window with a daily driver but if a 30 year old vehicle is your sole means of transportation you are already in a special place!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Whoa... Back up da bus.

The hose clamps appear to be the worm drive clamps not intended for higher pressure fuel injection. The difference is that the grooves for the worm drive are open cuts in the clamp, and can bite into and damage the hose when tightened.

Please take the time to research the clamps and change as necessary. Other than that your work looks great!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

You want the middle option, the Oetiker clamps.

Look on every modern car made with fuel injection and you won't find worm drive clamps.

Save the money - you can crimp them with a pair of Channellock dikes, too - the real thing, not the cheap crap knockoff.

Made proudly in Erie PA.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

I see what you guys mean about the hose clamps. I used the crimp style on some of them and worm style on others. I have a surplus of the crimp ones anyway, should be an easy job just switching them out. Great catch guys Very Happy .
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Quote:

don't confuse these worm gear clamps with the ones vendors like Van Cafe sell

BiWerks Design, LLC
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Maybe consider ditching the plastic fuel rails in favor of metal ones from the vendors while you have such easy access to them.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Maybe consider ditching the plastic fuel rails in favor of metal ones from the vendors while you have such easy access to them.

Are the plastic fuel rails a component known for failure?

BiWerks Design, LLC
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

“Are the plastic fuel rails a component known for failure?“

Also curious about this, are they worth replacing?
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

“Are the plastic fuel rails a component known for failure?“

Also curious about this, are they worth replacing?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

as previously stated, these clamps, IMHO have no place anywhere near the fuel system, bigger hoes maybe, not on fuel lines.
oetiker clamps are my preferred option.

dabaron wrote:
Quote:

don't confuse these worm gear clamps with the ones vendors like Van Cafe sell

619 201 0310
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
SCM wrote:

Are the plastic fuel rails a component known for failure?

I upgraded my fuel rails to metal and think it was a waste of money. The plastic rails are a stout piece of plastic and were in good shape. I'd inspect before replacing.

From GoWesty's product page for their metal fuel rails:
"Product note: In reality, the original black plastic fuel rails rarely ever fail on their own; rather, the "nipples" succumb to heavy-handed mechanics (no, not you!) in a hurry to remove the old fuel line that stubbornly hangs on. If you (or your heavy-handed mechanic) has managed to crack one of yours, and you would rather save a few bucks, we do offer used plastic originals for a mere $10 by phone. However, upgrading to these aluminum fuel rails is definitely in your long-term best interest."
http://www.gowesty.com/product/fuel-delivery/24160/gowesty-aluminum-fuel-rail-set-?v=
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
as previously stated, these clamps, IMHO have no place anywhere near the fuel system, bigger hoes maybe, not on fuel lines.
oetiker clamps are my preferred option.

that begs the question - why is Van Cafe selling these with their fuel line kit?

BiWerks Design, LLC
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Getting ready to replace the stock plastic coolant lines with a stainless kit. Any tips or tricks to keep in mind? Should be the last big job before putting the engine in and trying to start for the first time. Thanks again
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

no idea, we all have our idea's what's the right way to go about a job, they don't always match up.

it's all good, personally, i throw them away.

dabaron wrote:

that begs the question - why is Van Cafe selling these with their fuel line kit?

619 201 0310
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

10degnorth wrote:
Getting ready to replace the stock plastic coolant lines with a stainless kit. Any tips or tricks to keep in mind? Should be the last big job before putting the engine in and trying to start for the first time. Thanks again

Take note/photo, maybe make a mark on the underside of the van, of where the stock pipe ends are located before you remove them. When I was all finished with my install it seemed like the rear pipe outlets where too far back and almost interfering with my starter motor. That required some research that would have been unnecessary if I paid attention before removal.

The plastic pipes are TOUGH to cut through due to the material and how snug against the van's floor they are. Have a plan for that - a handsaw wasn't the best option for me due to the "angle of attack". Maybe a cutting wheel, etc. is a better choice. This may be a non-issue for you since your engine is out.

It seems obvious but make sure that you have the new pipes oriented correctly before installing. Match them up with the old pipes after you pull the old ones out. For some reason the new pipes aren't always labelled correctly when they come from the vendor.

Save yourself the hassle and just drop the gas tank a few inches before trying to fit the new pipes in. I wasted HOURS unsuccessfully trying to wrestle the new pipes in place before lowering the gas tank (carefully and just a few inches, as much as you can without disconnecting anything) and then they slid in with no problems at all.

This is a great time to replace the heater hoses too. They're cheap and follow the same exact path as the pipes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: