Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Vanagon, a Highschooler, and a Passion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a great time to replace the heater hoses too. They're cheap and follow the same exact path as the pipes.

While I’ve learned a lot just reading on here and building up the engine there still a lot of things I don’t quite understand. I’ve heard mention of the heater core and heater pipes, but have no idea what they do. So it seems worth asking, what are their purpose? I did a quick search and didn’t find any satisfactory answers. Benefits to replacing them? Thanks again everyone
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

There are two heater cores. One is inside the dash just in front of the shifter. The other is under the rear seat. They look like small radiators and produce heat inside the vehicle.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

The heater hoses that I mentioned are just rubber hoses (5/8"?) that run the length of the van and have some "t"s that connect shorter lengths from the rear of the van into the area under the back seat. They carry warm coolant from the engine to 1) the heater core behind your dashboard and 2) another heater core under your back seat.

Those heater cores (the radiator looking things Yellow Rabbit describes) circulate warm coolant just like a radiator does but the purpose is to use the shed heat to warm the van's interior. All car heaters work like this.

It's not uncommon for the rear heater core to leak and a common fix is to remove it and plug or eliminate the hoses that run to it. Your van may already be missing this.

I just mentioned changing the heater hoses as they are fairly cheap and it will be SOOOO easy to change them now. I've heard they don't fail often but it's cheap peace of mind.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

10degnorth wrote:
Quote:
This is a great time to replace the heater hoses too. They're cheap and follow the same exact path as the pipes.

While I’ve learned a lot just reading on here and building up the engine there still a lot of things I don’t quite understand. I’ve heard mention of the heater core and heater pipes, but have no idea what they do. So it seems worth asking, what are their purpose? I did a quick search and didn’t find any satisfactory answers. Benefits to replacing them? Thanks again everyone
Heater Cores give off heat like a Boiler System with radiators does in a building, with our vehicles pushing hot coolant through the piping to get to the heater core, and then a blower motor moves air across the core to make it much faster at giving off its heat versus relying on Ram air getting into the vehicle, or no air at all while driving at lower speeds.

Since we have our engines in the rear, you need some sort of Pipes or hoses to get that Hot coolant up to the Heater Cores inside the vehicle and that Radiator mounted way up front on the nose of your Vanagon. Metal or Plastic Pipes carry coolant to the Radiator, while smaller rubber hoses , called heater hoses, carry the coolant to each of your cores.

Benefits to replacing a heater core, if it's needed...... Cores can get clogged on any vehicle, which really reduces their possible heat/BTU output. In Winter, this sucks... Razz
They can also leak with age, just like a radiator. Think of them as tiny radiators for your HVAC system
hope this helps you out.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

That answered all my questions. Thanks so much. Sounds like another possible outlet for a coolant leak, may be worth replacing. I'll look into. Thanks so much again.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

A front heater core replacement is a big job. I’m almost convinced the heater core is the first part of a vehicle to hit the assembly line and the rest of the car is built around it. Laughing
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Replaced both the coolant and heater lines this weekend. Now waiting on one missing coolant line before installing the engine.

I found out something pretty interesting this past weekend. The POnhad told me that the van was originally a manual transmission, which has no tie-ins to the many coolant system. However someone converted it to an automatic. The automatic transmission cooler has line that go all the way up to the front and to a small heat exchanger. Is this the mod you were all suggesting to do to the transmission cooler? Thanks

Pics to come
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

"The automatic transmission cooler has line that go all the way up to the front and to a small heat exchanger. Is this the mod you were all suggesting to do to the transmission cooler? Thanks "

That sounds like a rad mounted trans cooler.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Hey, gettin ready to put the engine in today. Everything seeks pretty self explanatory, except I cant for the life of me find a diagram of the electronics in the engine bay. Where do all these wires go to?? If anyone has a diagram and would like to share it, that would be mich appreciated. Thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

10degnorth wrote:
Interior isn't bad, just needs a good clean, but I wanna get it moving first before working on cosmetics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

]

Wow!
For some reason I never read this thread in all the time it has been up. Embarassed

But I must ask........
Can we clone you?
There may yet be hope for the future of the World if more youth thought like this!

Let's make it run safely and reliably before blowing the budget on wheels and sound systems!

You Sir, are a wise young man!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Hey again. lots of stuff has happened. Installed stainless coolant lines, new heater tubes, engine installed and everything hooked up.... oh... and it runs.

At first it wouldn't start, it would kinda get going then shut itself off. Turns out that what happens when you forget to tighten down the intake manifold and have a huge leak. Once we had that torqued down it started right up.

Got to drive it around the yard a little bit. Lots of lifter noise, but i've heard that's normal after a van has been sitting a while, and this one has been sitting for a little under a year.

Oil pressure and light came on after revving the engine to around 3000 rpm briefly. Not sure whats going on there exactly. We were excited to get it going and we had a sealed bottle of 5w-30 laying around so that's what we filled it up with. (I realize that that isn't the perfect oil). Any ideas on who that may have happened would be greatly appreciated. If the issue would be fixed by using the correct weight oil ( I've heard 20w-w50 or 10w-40) then perfect, I was planning to do that anyway. Thanks

I bought this ran not running, and until today I had never even driven one or sat behind the wheel of one with a working engine in it. Hearing this van start up for the first time was one of the most rewarding experiences. It makes the last 6 months of work all worth it. Now its time to tune things in and make 'er look good.

Now for what you've all been waiting for; Pictures!!

Van finally in the shop

Old heater lines we pulled out

Engine lined up to go in

Side angle of the engine all lined up

Engine installed

Van sitting outside after my little victory lap around the yard
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Extremely well done! Cheers on seeing it through to this point.

Looking forward to more fun posts.

Enjoy.

p.s. I went back to the start of this thread and saw that you started it less than three weeks ago.IIRC, you bought this van a few months ago but it's impressive to see you make so much progress so quickly. Enjoy the rig this winter.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

If your oil pressure light is coming on, you need to get an oil pressure gauge and hook it up. Find out what your oil pressure really is rather than guessing and playing with oil weights.

Oil is quite a topic with dedicated threads that hold a lot of fact, opinions and simple gut feelings.

Some run lighter oils like you have in there right now, some run thicker oils. There isn't one absolutely correct answer for everyone. Conditions and motors vary greatly.

As a rule of thumb about 10psi per 1,000 rpm is pretty much the norm.

You could have old tired oil pressure sensors, or you could have a bad engine. A gauge will tell you what is happening.

The lifters should pump up as the engine warms. New oil will eventually clean them, some put in marvel mystery oil to clean them, some live with the clatter at start up as a normal thing.

The fix is to remove them, disassemble and clean them. If you do this, do NOT mix them up! Once used they are location specific.

Enjoy the ride, keep us updated!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

amazing progress. wanna fly to Philly and do my engine rebuild?

BiWerks Design, LLC
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Looking into mounting a dash oil pressure gauge, comparing that and the stock light/gauge machanism should give me a pretty good idea if the issue is just the sensor or something deeper than that.

I’m still working on doing research into possible issues that could cause the oil pressure issues I’m experiencing, if I find anything super interesting ill update here with my findings.

Once again, thank you all for the feedback, the praise has been motivating me. Now that the van is running I can’t wait to ‘er on the road. Very Happy
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

10degnorth wrote:
...I bought this ran not running, and until today I had never even driven one...

Now that you have... don't you love the way it feels like a carnival ride sitting out in front of the steering tires like that? Getting swung out there on the front during a turn puts a smile on my face. It is the quintessential VW bus experience, whatever generation the bus is they all do that the same way. Smile

Congratulations on your massive success so far. Wishing you continued success on your build. Its a really nice van you have there.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

What oil filter did you put on? Sone are known to cause oil pressure issues but I'd need to do some searching to find details and brands.

Mann WIX or Mobil 1 filters seem to consistently get the nod of approval

I always ran with the Mann.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Sone are known to cause oil pressure issues

I have read about that, I believe I used a Mann filter because that’s what was recommended to me on here. In don’t remember they exact post that referenced it, but that’s what I have on there, I think.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

Changed the oil over to 20w-50. Lifter noise has vanished, exhaust leak located and neutralized. Coolant leak acknowledged and part ordered.

Last night the buzzer went off at 2000rpm, with the new oil tonight it went off at 3000rpm. Making progress? Maybe a step in the right direction? Not sure what to do to improve that further. Both of these oil test hae been done stationary while the van was in park and be just revving the engine, not moving or going anywhere.

What should I try next as far as oil pressure? We're gonna pull out the oil pressure gauge and see if the sensors are any good and see how the pressure really is.

Wish me luck.
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Wolfsburg, Two Engines, and a Highschooler Reply with quote

There are a bunch of possibilities when the buzzer is going off, and getting a gauge is the only sure way to know you have pressure. However, the high pressure switch is pretty cheap and worth replacing as it is know to fail. Also check the wiring from the two switches (you have a high and a low as it's a late model with the buzzer) to the main harness. That can also cause problems.

However, since the change in weight seems to have fixed some of it, that does lead me to believe you may have an actual oil pressure problem. Get a gauge to be sure, and change the above.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: