Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval window vs. '58-'64?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

My late father worked at a Volkswagen dealership in the '60s. To me, the '58-'64 Beetles remind me of that time.

But I have always had an appreciation for the oval-windows. One of my younger brothers is currently hoarding one that should be completed, but my question is, what is the difference between owning the two?

Is it harder to find parts for the oval-window Beetles? Are they disproportionately harder to find in the first place?

As a young adult in the early '80s, oval-window Beetles were much more accessible than I would assume they are today. My first car was a '64, but it was only 15 years old at the time. Now, it would be 54 years old. And oval-window Beetles are even older than that.

Is it a matter of hunting and hunting, for some rusty shell, to media-blast back to bare metal, weld in new heater channels, pan halves, and patch panels, before performing a complete ground-up rebuild to just own one of these?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

there always seems to be a good range of ovals in the samba classifieds - just don't expect to find one on your doorstep and it depends on your budget how much work you will have to do. also depends how many miles you intend doing in it, early 60s cars are a better option for regular driving.
just make sure the VIN plate hasn't been tampered with... Wink
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

1956-57 ovals are much easier to find parts for than 1955 and earlier, as the parts interchangeability is much better with later model year VWs, even if not 100 percent correct.

There are a number of ovals for sale here in the classifieds; problem is most are gutted Baja Bugs from the 1970s-80s, missing the hardest-to-find parts and often bolted to a later chassis. If you are not concerned with originality, there are usually several customized ovals for sale at any given time, with conditions and prices all over the board. Complete rust buckets show up from time to time, but are often priced higher than driveable customs, as the seller sees its value in its parts.

If you are seeking to build a period-correct oval and don't already have the parts, be prepared to shell out lots of money, especially for 1955 and earlier. Many of the body and interior parts are not reproduced for the earlier ovals, and used parts prices are skyrocketing into split-window territory, especially for non-reproduced parts, such as seats.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

The early to mid-'60s were VW's heyday here in the states, when they sold in their greatest numbers. That fact, combined with '60s cars being 10 years newer than most ovals, make them easier to locate just about anywhere.

And here in the northeast, '70s Beetles are, again, much easier to find than '60s Beetles, mainly due to lack of age, in comparison.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys.

I still think I'm primarily looking for a '58-'64, but I absolutely have an appreciation for the oval-window Beetles, and from time to time I do think about getting one.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

We've driven a lot of different Beetles and a couple of Ghias, but the best driving of all the cars we had was a '62 Deluxe. I wish I'd never sold that little car! The Oval we're redoing now will be great fun, but the '62 (and a '66 before it) were daily drivers that never let us down.

Good luck on your search and decision!
Scott
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

Gurn, I can appreciate your passion for both eras, having owned split, oval and early big-window Beetles. Even though I may get bashed for writing this in the Oval forum, I'd suggest a '63 or '64 over an earlier big-window, and over an oval. Several reasons-
-LArger/taller windshield for better forward visibility
-Vinyl headliner for ease of cleaning and interior "brightness"
-larger taillights, and when fitted with LED bulbs provide realistic visibility
-Mounting points for 3-point safety belts, allowing for inertia reels for some driving safety and comfort
-Dished steering wheel for the "modern '60's" look
-transmission with 1st gear fully synchronized

You can easily build the 40hp 1200cc engine into a big-bore 1385cc for a bit more power, yet keeping a stock appearance; making an easy 70mph highway cruiser

Finishing touch would be to find a license plate frame from your dad's VW dealer, and if your state allows it, a pair of "year of manufacture" license plates. What VW dealer did your dad work at? Sales, Service, or Parts?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

My 56 oval with 36hp is a 70mph highway cruiser.... 🤔

But not uphill.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval window vs. '58-'64? Reply with quote

I'm sure the lot your dad worked on had more than its fair share of ovals roll through.

I have both, and had them parked together for a wash today.

Both cars are converted to a fully synchro trans and 12-volt, so they're not appreciably different mechanically. Many "big window" parts are interchangeable with '56 and '57 ovals. (The '55 and older are both much rarer and more expensive.)

Yes, the later larger windows are more airy, and nicer for touring (even better is the '65, '66 body, but the smaller windows are not unduly claustrophobic.) Also, LED taillights are available for ovals.

As for the question about the rusty shell, it depends on your budget. It often costs less in the long run to buy one that's finished, and let the guy who built it take the hit. There's also a lot to be said for instant gratification.

Just keep shopping, and you'll know it's the right car when you find it.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: