Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever build a mid-engine?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Was browsing the interwebs and found this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I't s a dune buggy from grand theft auto called the Bifta. But look where the engine is, right behind the seats. It got me thinking if you could flip the engine and trans, and reverse the drive like people have with Subaru trans in buses and bugs. Or use a Subaru trans and engine like in the factory five 818. It would be fun and unique to have a mid engine dune buggy.

they were a little creative with the angles on the axles... Laughing

more pics of the bifta -> http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Bifta

I'm sure someone's done it in a dune buggy or manx clone, I would love to see.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Search Deserter GS. It was a factory midengine buggy with a custom space frame.

brad
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

These guys did that.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
LifeAsASuffix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

There have been a few, most never seem to be completed.
I drew up some design ideas for a transverse mid engine using a more modern VW 1.8t. I decided to build a traditional buggy this time, but haven’t given up hope on mid-engine.
Here’s another build with a transverse motor:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427996&highlight=
That user had a few threads about this build, but hasn’t been active in 2 years.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Acme Car co. / Berrian Buggy was working on a mid engine buggy with Ecotec engine & transaxle. I tried to find it on their website, but couldn't find it. It had a different body & chassis. You don't have to build one, you can buy one! Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LifeAsASuffix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
Acme Car co. / Berrian Buggy was working on a mid engine buggy with Ecotec engine & transaxle. I tried to find it on their website, but couldn't find it. It had a different body & chassis. You don't have to build one, you can buy one! Tom

WHOA!! I had no idea they were building that. It’s all over their Facebook page. I’m definitely going to keep an eye on that.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
Was browsing the interwebs and found this.

I't s a dune buggy from grand theft auto called the Bifta. But look where the engine is, right behind the seats. It got me thinking if you could flip the engine and trans, and reverse the drive like people have with Subaru trans in buses and bugs. Or use a Subaru trans and engine like in the factory five 818. It would be fun and unique to have a mid engine dune buggy.

they were a little creative with the angles on the axles... Laughing

more pics of the bifta -> http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Bifta

I'm sure someone's done it in a dune buggy or manx clone, I would love to see.

The axle angle is due to the design being normal Engine behind trans configuration, like a standard Beetle chassis arrangement...

bnc
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:

I've seen the car. It's their same body just cut out in the back and they have a fiberglass tonneau cover over the engine. I believe the chassis is the same one they sell, it's just modified in the back area for the new motor/trans setup.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

That ACME GTX buggy is pretty slick! Sounds like an auto trans from the description (yuck!). Otherwise, one of the neatest innovations in the FGB field in a loooong time.
Chev Cobalt drive train, sounds like it's pretty plug-n-play with the new chassis. Drive by wire, Lancer body. Nice!
I'm wondering, seeing how it appears to use the typical VW front end and probably VW based fuel tank, maybe they'll start making/offering a customized tank with in-tank fuel pump? Sounds like "external" pump noise on the driving videos. That would be great for all the buggies running EFI.

Not sure how the rear radiator set-up will cool on the highway? Clean install though!

https://www.facebook.com/AcmeCarCo/videos/10155576054292810/

Jeff
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
That ACME GTX buggy is pretty slick! Sounds like an auto trans from the description (yuck!). Otherwise, one of the neatest innovations in the FGB field in a loooong time.
Chev Cobalt drive train, sounds like it's pretty plug-n-play with the new chassis. Drive by wire, Lancer body. Nice!
I'm wondering, seeing how it appears to use the typical VW front end and probably VW based fuel tank, maybe they'll start making/offering a customized tank with in-tank fuel pump? Sounds like "external" pump noise on the driving videos. That would be great for all the buggies running EFI.

Not sure how the rear radiator set-up will cool on the highway? Clean install though!

https://www.facebook.com/AcmeCarCo/videos/10155576054292810/

Jeff

Rear mount radiator likely won't cool well without electric fans running regularly.

bryan
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

I would aim to keep it a boxer style engine, VW, porsche, subaru, or corvair. Has more character in my opinion, even more soul keeping it air cooled.

Cool to see it's been done before. Maybe my next build.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Deserter GS
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Question: we all know how important intake manifold heat is on VW center mounted carbs. How do the Corvair guys get away without? GM never center mounted a carb on an NA Corvair engine.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

See that hose going to the plenum in the photo above? Oil feed for an oil gallery under the plenum. Doesn't help much on startup, but works well once the engine is warmed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
See that hose going to the plenum in the photo above? Oil feed for an oil gallery under the plenum. Doesn't help much on startup, but works well once the engine is warmed.

Yep - playing with this now.

bryan
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Deserter GS

Interesting to see a non-Harmonic Balancer crank pulley being used on a 140-headed style Corvair engine.

bryan
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

I believe Bob's GS had an earlier 140ci engine, which came with the shorter stroke crank and non-harmonic pulley. IIRC, he said it had been freshened up before he bought it. Not sure about the heads - 140hp heads, or maybe 2-port heads modified with extra intakes? Good looking engine!

Note the sheet metal added to help separate the fan/intake side from the hot bottom side - just like on a stock air cooled Bug (or Corvair). Super important to help keep the engine running cool!
Jeff
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

What is it, where is it from?

BL3Manx wrote:
Deserter GS

With the deserter GS, what trans is mounted behind the corvair engine? Any pic from the rear? Curious to see how they look with the trans sticking out the back, because the manx style and clones where definitely designed for the engine out the back
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever build a mid-engine? Reply with quote

The drag buggy was the Manx-based "Purple Potato Chip". In the photo below, it has a conventional rear-mounted (Corvair) engine.

The mid-engine layout in the photo above must've come later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: