Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

Members here need a suggestion .
The picture below is my present engine pic which displays the current distributor with its vacuum line disconnected .
It was disconnected by someone previously before I got the car recently.

I wanted to go for 019 distributor , but I notice that 019 doesnt have a Vacuum for it . Does it effect my stock motor anyways if I install the 019 for the extra punch???? ( yes it will be bench tested and rebuild professionally)

OR

should I keep continue using the present distributor by connecting the vacuum line

Dual Carbs :
I would be using the dual carb setup with single port manifold
webber 34 ICT kit

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

just connect the vacuum line and run the stock distributor,

also as far as I know there's no kit to fit ICTs to a 36HP, I suggest you start reading the vintage speed subforum, set some time aside Laughing
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

I wonder why the distributor was disconnected? I would test the current distributor to see if the vacuum actually works.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

The mechanical advance of the VJU4BR8 is the same as the VJ4BR8 and the 019. So just use your current one as is.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

I did ask the ex owner he says the vaccum doesnt work , Its been there disconnected since years .

So what do I do next ????? & I would be using dual carbs single manifold
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

I am curious to know whats the pros & cons of the vaccum.

Why doesnt 019 distributor has no vaccum on it .

Sorry I am new and learning.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

019 uses small weights within to advance the plate mechanically. The vacuum types use suction from the carburetor to advance.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

bud, you're not going to be using ICT's, they do not fit on your 36 hp motor.

What carbs are you going to use? rethwish?

keep your stock distributor, have the vacuum fixed/tested
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

Am I wrong here . The dual carb kits are available ( for single port 34 ICT) and installed by few .

Plz check on google and also on this forum under performance/engine/transmissions.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

If you can, swap in a distributor that has a working vacuum can on it. It will make a BIG difference in how your car runs, both in speed and fuel economy.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

therusty wrote:
Am I wrong here . The dual carb kits are available ( for single port 34 ICT) and installed by few .

Plz check on google and also on this forum under performance/engine/transmissions.

yes you are wrong Wink , 36hp (your engine), 40hp and 1300/1500/1600 single ports have all different intake configurations in the heads which make intake manifolds for dual carb kits not interchangeable.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
therusty wrote:

yes you are wrong Wink , 36hp (your engine), 40hp and 1300/1500/1600 single ports have all different intake configurations in the heads which make intake manifolds for dual carb kits not interchangeable.

X2.
There is a dual carb kit that will fit a 36 hp engine (which is called a 30 PS engine in Europe), it's the "Okrasa dual-port engine kit" (just google it).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

WW makes a current kit for the 36hp.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/engine/25-36hp/WW_dual_port_kit.cfm

But understand this... What is the condition of your current engine? The PO says the vacuum hasn't been working for a long time, when was the last time the engine was rebuilt? Its been said that the quickest way shorten the life of a tired engine is to put it under more stress by adding more stress to it by adding "performance" mods. If you are going to try and increase performance by adding this kit, you should probably plan on a rebuild which is going to add $$ to the equation. And rebuilding a 36hp ain't cheap and takes a certain amount of knowledge.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

No I am referring to single port manifold available on CB performance .

part no. 6427

Dual Webber 34mm ICT kit single port type 1
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

no, those will not work on your 36hp engine. just trying to keep you from wasting your money

in vw nomenclature, a single port is a 1300, 1500, or 1600 based engine. Yours is not, it's completely different. Yours is a 36 horse, and thats how you should say it and order parts for it.

there are threads about 36hp dual carbs. he's one, there are plenty more

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3203738

In my opinion, get your vacuum working first, worry about other stuff later

BTW, this will apply to changing your exhaust out as well, make sure to buy an exhaust made for a 36hp motor
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

Thank you everyone . I will keep this carb , airfilter & distributor.

I did read a lot on the samba today . Thank you all for guiding me in the right direction.

Stock CARB : want to clean it and rebuild it , Where can I get its rebuild kit , any link ,so that I dont order a wrong part.

Air filter : Cant find the part number on the filter assemble looks like it was painted at some point .
Can someone tell me where can I get this stock air filter or how to service it.

Fuel pump : I have to order the metal lines and from where could i get a new rebuild kit for it ?

Distributor : Hw can I check & a newbie like me learn & find out if the vaccum works
If not what should be my nest step?
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

engine pics
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

members please suggest
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

https://www.thoughtco.com/testing-vacuum-advance-distributors-classic-cars-726193

But since the previous owner already told you the vacuum advance doesn't work, there's probably not much point in testing it. Basically that distributor uses two mechanisms to advance the ignition timing. A centrifugal advance mechanism, which works off the speed of the engine, and a vacuum mechanism which works off the intake vacuum (and so works off the load placed on the engine rather than the speed). If the vacuum part doesn't work, you won't get the proper ignition timing you need for the best power/smoothness.

Some distributors feature either centrifugal advance or vacuum advance. Yours has both. The 019 has only centrifugal advance. Centrifugal advance is good for "performance" applications - what this really means is applications where the engine is going to be floored all the time. It could work for you, but you don't really know if you'll need/want it since you don't know how the distributor you have in there already should perform, since it is essentially half turned off without the vacuum portion working. If you want the best driveability and economy, having the stock distributor repaired would be the route to go. If you plan on flooring it everywhere, the 019 might be right for you.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor upgrade for 58 stock motor Reply with quote

You can usually get the needed rebuild kits for the carb and fuel pump at Wolfsburg West.

PLEASE READ THE EXISTING THREADS ON REBUILDING YOUR PARTS BEFORE STARTING. There are some important instructions that don’t necessarily come with the kits.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: