Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uttlc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

Hey everyone, first post, newish thing owner here. I have a 1974 Thing, that I got from my grandfather. I just got her back from the shop after getting a new carb and new fuel pump, among other things. Driving home she seemed much more sluggish than I remember from before. It’s hard to get her to accelerate and she wants to ping if I put my foot in it. It’s like the choke is stuck shut but I don’t think so. I’m thinking the carb isn’t tuned right. I don’t really want to go back to the shop, since the trip before this wasn’t exactly promising, and I don’t think they’ve got a handle on old VWs. Any help as to where to look first is greatly appreciated.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

Most of the new carburetors and pumps you buy today are not very good, sorry to say. You may want to run back and get your original carburetor if it is original to the car and get it rebuild by one of the vendor here on the Samba. I don't recall the guy's name but he is very good. You also need to make sure your distributor is working properly and do a complete tune up. Oh and welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

Not sure where you are in Texas. I’m north of Dallas so it wasn’t a long ride, but if you want a good shop for old VWs look at Earl Mann’s Bug Shop in Ardmore, OK. I brought my 73 in just to have him make sure everything was as it should be and I had a fantastic experience.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

Depends on what all the shop did. Fuel pump quality is all over the place. I have had really good, consistent luck with Brosals. Any other ones no so much. Your fuel pressure is supposed to be around 3 lbs. I have had off brand ones be anywhere from 2 to 9. Too high or way too low will definately cause problems.

I test the pressure of ANY pump I install and even if I didnt install it when it s comes in the shop unless there is no reason for me to look at the engine.

So next is the carb...There are levels of preference and all kinds of opinions. Rebuilt German Solex is preferred, but there are some decent replacements out there. Everyone hates Empi, but I have had good luck with their recent 34PICT3 and 30PICT1s. Tuning is important BTW.

OK - so, what distributor do you have? Was the correct carb installed for that distributor? Timing set properly?....Lots of variables.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
Most of the new carburetors and pumps you buy today are not very good, sorry to say. You may want to run back and get your original carburetor if it is original to the car and get it rebuild by one of the vendor here on the Samba. I don't recall the guy's name but he is very good. You also need to make sure your distributor is working properly and do a complete tune up. Oh and welcome to the Samba.

Volkzbitz
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

Fill in the blanks for us.

What carb is on it? 34-3? Is this a dual port engine or single port.

Tell us what distributor is on it? Brand and model number. Fingers crossed it's not a 009 mechanical only if it has a 34-3.

As the others mentioned, the vast majority of "new" VW parts are poor quality parts mass produced in China. You'd be miles ahead in getting an original German Solex carb from Tim at Volkzbitz.com

The carb and distributor need to "match". German Solex 34-3 carbs like being matched to SVDA's or DVDA's. When they are matched to mechanical only 009's, lots of issues appear. Off idle hesitation, flat spots, etc.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Uttlc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

I had completely forgotten I made this post. Thanks everyone for the responses. I know that the carb that was put in was a Weber. I have no idea about the fuel pump brand nor the distributor, but will check. I'll look these up and update the post to see what I should do based on what I have.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sluggish slow running after new carb and fuel oump Reply with quote

The chance of a progressive Weber working well right out of the box is small, very likely it may need to be rejetted to work with these engines. Even getting a Brosol to work out of the box is iffy as I don't think that ethanol laced fuel will pass through a jet quite as easily as real gas will and thus a carb that was originally set to run on the lean side for air pollution reason may now be extremely lean.

There is a good thread in the performance section on tuning a weber progressive.

If your engine is knocking you want to check your timing, and see if it is set at 28° BTDC @3500+ rpms, hoses off and plugged. There are few mechanics that don't work on these rigs regularly can time them at all accurately.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: