Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extra front door weatherstripping
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jac25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has the this weatherstripping? Any reviews? Where can one purchase it in the states?

http://www.t3-infos.de/images/Zwangsentl_6.jpg

http://www.t3-infos.de/t3-infos_d.html#wgummis
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pair for sale for $90 (not mine). PM me as I do have a spare set.

These are part numbers:
253837931 retaining rail; left lower; M219:253-256 1
253837932 retaining rail; right lower; M219:253-255 1
253837913 seal; left lower; M219:253-255 1
253837914 seal; right lower; M219:253-255

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icogluemrah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

hello where can i find this track
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

icogluemrah wrote:
hello where can i find this track

As you are in Europe I will try to answer. Most (if not all) Caravelle models have these seals. Ive seen them in Caravelle models at least from -86 and through to 91.

They consist of the metal frame with a rubber lip that screws into the body in front of the door, and a small rubber strip that is glued to the door and seals the gap between the door and the A-pillar.

The downside is that you must remove the door in order to get to the screw, and you should have the ventilation slots in the rearmost side windows so that the ventilation in the car works properly. These seals disturbs the airflow if you only have ventilation in the front doors.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Is there an improvement with these installed?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

A couple years back I picked up a set of these in the classifieds for about 50 bucks.

Not installed yet, ( Embarassed ) but I'd seen several other threads with claims of their
effectiveness at reducing wind noise, hence my purchase. There were 2 or 3
sets available at the time...not sure about now, but take a look. Good luck!

- Dave

PS: Yes, I promise to get them on this spring... Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Definitely an improvement.

My first Caravelle CL syncro didnt have them when I bought it. It should have had them, but they were probably lost in a recent paint job. I installed them and it was noticeably less wind noise.

Of course then I found out the quarter windows in the door was also whistling, so they had to be adressed as well. Smile

But that is the only first hand experience I have had listening on the same van both with and without the seals.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Had a question about these in another thread, so here's my update:

How much quieter? Indeed...

Methodology?
With nothing else to do yesterday I removed the weatherstripping from the driver's side, loaded a cheap dB meter app on my
phone and went for a drive. The phone went on some padding in the footwells and I ran a lap with the phone on each side.

Conditions?
2-lane state highway, (4) 3-mile runs, point-to-point & back @ 55mph, winds 20mph with 30mph gusts... Twisted Evil

Results?
The side with the weatherstripping measured one (1) dB quieter than the side without.

Significance?
Doesn't "sound" like much...( Laughing )...but because dB is a logarithmic scale, a 1 dB decrease anywhere along the scale
represents a 26% change in sound energy...definitely significant, measurable and noticeable! Cool

As it's been a while since my college physics requirement, I did have to do some research to deduce this point...
(Math geeks & gurus feel free to comment):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WOArI7OutAPiW_sgwhuKrToITqjFZN_1SkbitAvlrjk/edit?usp=sharing

Coincidentally perhaps; both sides also measured one (1) dB quieter going with the wind <vs> bucking into it.

There ya go, my bit for science... Laughing Wink

- Dave

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Is 1dB per side then 2dB overall?

Regardless, I now really really want these!!!

Thanks for the experiment and write-up Dave!!

-bobby
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Hmmm...keep in mind, this was with the phone right down on the floor, very near to the area affected.

I can't say with any authority, but I'd wager that the total measurable effect from the perspective of a seated
driver/passenger
would never be more than 1 dB, and would most certainly prove to be less.

My reasoning...??? Consider: from where a guy sits, there are a great many other noises factoring into the
entire sound spectrum; 26% less noise coming from the door leading edges will just make it easier to hear
the tires, road, worn transmission, throaty exhaust note, sticky lifters, etc...

Laughing Wink Cool

Still...I like 'em, they're paid for, they're installed, and now I know more than I did...

Carry on! Smile

- Dave

john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Had a question about these in another thread, so here's my update:

How much quieter? Indeed...

Methodology?
With nothing else to do yesterday I removed the weatherstripping from the driver's side, loaded a cheap dB meter app on my
phone and went for a drive. The phone went on some padding in the footwells and I ran a lap with the phone on each side.

Conditions?
2-lane state highway, (4) 3-mile runs, point-to-point & back @ 55mph, winds 20mph with 30mph gusts... Twisted Evil

Results?
The side with the weatherstripping measured one (1) dB quieter than the side without.

Significance?
Doesn't "sound" like much...( Laughing )...but because dB is a logarithmic scale, a 1 dB decrease anywhere along the scale
represents a 26% change in sound energy...definitely significant, measurable and noticeable! Cool

As it's been a while since my college physics requirement, I did have to do some research to deduce this point...
(Math geeks & gurus feel free to comment):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WOArI7OutAPiW_sgwhuKrToITqjFZN_1SkbitAvlrjk/edit?usp=sharing

Coincidentally perhaps; both sides also measured one (1) dB quieter going with the wind <vs> bucking into it.

There ya go, my bit for science... Laughing Wink

- Dave

Dave,

I'd like to add a set of these to my 1986 Van. I have a 1990 parts van available and can take the weather stripping from it. My question is, how do I remove them? It looks like I need to remove the entire door from the frame to get at the 4 bolts holding the weather stripping in place. Is this what you had to do?

Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

^^^ You got it, John. Cool

Git 'r done!

- Dave

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Older vans also don`t have the same sheet metal stamping with bosses to fit them, one of the mounts has to get some kind of a spacer, I forgot which one.

I have to do it again on a 1985 van. Part of this wind reduction kit also should have the top door extra seal at the 45 degree portion of the door top.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

^^^ Yeah, I didn't know that at the time but looking it over after the install I'd say
the lowest point needs a spacer of a couple or three washers, say 2-3mm?

I may get back in there to add the washers but it's fine for now & better than it was!

Cool

- Dave

PS: GW sells the upper seal for the angled leading edge of the front doors...

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

I have both seals, including that upper one gw sells, and I have no wind noise at all from the doors. Along with my full sound insulation job, my syncro is now as quiet as a friends honda accord at 55mph, with only the muffler intruding somewhat but there's little that can be done about that. I already insulated the hatch and engine area well above standard.
PDXnatv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Just an update to this post Van360 in Germany sells these seals as a kit for both pre and 1988+. The pre-1988 comes with wedges to accommodate the required angle not found in the body panel on the earlier body. They ship to the states but you'll have to contact them directly. And its not cheap. Given the inability to purchase these or the rubber seals, I think it is worth it if this is your cup of tea and like to hear your van mates rather than the constant road noise. They also have a You Tube video showing the installation on an early van for reference. I bit the bullet and ordered a set for my Syncro. I'll update this post once I receive them and the installation pics/ tutorial I suppose.

https://van360.de/produkt/t3-windgeraeuschepaket-bj-vor-1988/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Thanks for this link! I have these stock on my van, but the driver's side seal is damaged. For clarification, it appears they sell two different kits:

- One kit for pre-1998 models (VOR 1998)

- One kit for 1998 and later models (AB 1998)
https://van360.de/produkt/t3-windgeraeuschepaket/

My guess is if you have a 1988 you would need the latter, but you should confirm with them.

edit: I just sent them an email, asking if they would sell only one seal.

Last edited by VicVan on Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
PDXnatv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Thanks for this link! I have these stock on my van, but the driver's side seal is damaged. For clarification, it appears they sell two different kits:

- One kit for pre-1998 models (VOR 1998)

- One kit for 1998 and later models (AB 1998)
https://van360.de/produkt/t3-windgeraeuschepaket/

My guess is if you have a 1988 you would need the latter, but you should confirm with them.

You can buy the seals themselves and they are the same no matter the year. MyBusParts sell the seals now too. 199 euro
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

Oooh, I didn't know this website! Nice!

It's a decent price considering the pair of rubber profiles go for 200 euros already.

You don't need the little wedges on early vans, you just gotta bend the brackets back to 90°.
It's nice to have the wedges but the self tapping screw won't enter the sheet metal at 90°, I bet it's gonna want to walk out of place when trying to screw it in.... I drill the chassis lip so I can screw them in straight. That's probably the only futile hole I drilled in my entire van, but there's no way around it, I tried.

Also be aware VW installed a M6 nut at the bottom bracket as a spacer when they realized they messed up the design. Don't waste your time trying without it, take my word for it, you'll thank me later Wink

That's the access hole I drilled, others have good access, one is through he hinge hole.

Notice the layers, I waxed the shit out of them.

Don't forget the upper door strip too. 171837913F
Annoyingly, it's supplied in length of 550mm by most vendors, but it's way too short! GoWesty used to sell their own production, which was longer, but I don't see it anymore on their website.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
PDXnatv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Extra front door weatherstripping Reply with quote

[quote="ALIKA T3"]Oooh, I didn't know this website! Nice!

Alika, when you get a chance watch the YouTube video on the install. They also have a DIY on their blog. The video is in German but it's a good visual of how they do it with the wedges. Wish I had an audio translator for it.

https://youtu.be/CGuhBaW11A0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: